E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Cobb Stage 1 Sport installed... problems

05-04-2012, 01:53 PM   #23
will.c
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46M

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticc View Post
What's that tune detected code? Cobb clears all codes and to my knowledge recent firmware updates prevent that code being thrown in the first place. Are you running another tune?
My best guess is that was from the previous owner, so not related to Cobb. My SA told me it happened last year. I only have Cobb, and as you know, it clears codes once every time it flashes/changes map.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 12:37 AM   #24
will.c
Captain
United_States
Rep

Hey all, I'm very very happy to report that my problem has been solved! I replaced the coils, and I gotta say it was a lot easier than I thought, thanks to the posted video

Before: rough and unstable idle, bumping up idle to 700rpm after a few mild shakes, timings pulled on both Cobb Stage 1 Sport and Stage 0

After: unstable idle gone 95%, no more bumping idle up to 700, no timing pulls! (see logs below)

Log5: Stage 1 Sport, 2nd and 3rd gears, DTC/DSC off
Log8: Stage 1 Sport, 3rd gear, DTC/DSC off
(which log data should I inspect next?)

Needless to say, it runs as smooth as ever, even with Stage 1 Sport. I did the linear throttle cuz the stock throttle is too quick for my taste. I don't know for sure, but I can feel more turbo lag with the tune - not much gain in torque up to around 2500-3000rpm, and quite a bit more above 3krpm.

On the other hand, people say the car becomes a different animal with only Stage 1, but maybe I set my expectations too high, it just felt a little faster - DEF faster, but just a little bit.

I also got a P2AAF code after Stage 1 runs, but from my quick research it seemed normal. ECU just thinking "hmm, something feels different, but I can't tell what's wrong, so I'll just scapegoat it to the fuel pump." Let me know if this is not the case, and if in fact I'd have to troubleshoot for this as well.

In my case, coils saved the day for my timing drops. Thanks for your kind help guys!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 11:16 AM   #25
AU335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i E92

timing looks good... as for the 2AAF code, I have a strong feeling it has to do with flashing the car without an external power source connected to the vehicle while flashing maps. If you notice while you're flashing, your fuel pump is priming alot of the time... just a thought though. could be something completely unrelated.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 11:38 AM   #26
will.c
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU335i View Post
timing looks good... as for the 2AAF code, I have a strong feeling it has to do with flashing the car without an external power source connected to the vehicle while flashing maps. If you notice while you're flashing, your fuel pump is priming alot of the time... just a thought though. could be something completely unrelated.
You are good. I flashed with the battery only. Do you mind expanding on the priming the pump? Would it be bad to do so for like 15-20min without the engine running?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 11:49 AM   #27
AU335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonho View Post
You are good. I flashed with the battery only. Do you mind expanding on the priming the pump? Would it be bad to do so for like 15-20min without the engine running?
Only reason I'm saying this theory is because I ran into this issue back when I first got my COBB AP. I was flashing/installing/uninstalling so much trying to resolve another issue... I may have done it a total of 20 times within the same week... then I ran into the 2AAF code... eventually I noticed diminished power and this was the only code being thrown so I took it to the dealer to get it diagnosed. They told me it was a low-pressure fuel pump sensor gone bad... replaced it and car pulled like a champ again... not sure if the sensor would have gone bad anyways or it had to do with installing the COBB... could be all a coincidence... but then again I see alot of people getting the 2AAF code with COBB and I'm almost positive most of them flash without a power source connected...

For the record, I called COBB directly and they were the ones who told me that it is recommended to use an external source during flashing... after getting the sensor replaced I've used a trickle charger during all flashes and haven't seen a 2AAF code since....

:shrugs: maybe I'm overly cautious lol
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 11:55 AM   #28
will.c
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU335i View Post
Only reason I'm saying this theory is because I ran into this issue back when I first got my COBB AP. I was flashing/installing/uninstalling so much trying to resolve another issue... I may have done it a total of 20 times within the same week... then I ran into the 2AAF code... eventually I noticed diminished power and this was the only code being thrown so I took it to the dealer to get it diagnosed. They told me it was a low-pressure fuel pump sensor gone bad... replaced it and car pulled like a champ again... not sure if the sensor would have gone bad anyways or it had to do with installing the COBB... could be all a coincidence... but then again I see alot of people getting the 2AAF code with COBB and I'm almost positive most of them flash without a power source connected...

For the record, I called COBB directly and they were the ones who told me that it is recommended to use an external source during flashing... after getting the sensor replaced I've used a trickle charger during all flashes and haven't seen a 2AAF code since....

:shrugs: maybe I'm overly cautious lol
Hmm.. definitely good to know. Thanks a lot. I will hook it up to an additional power source from now on.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 09:36 PM   #29
will.c
Captain
United_States
Rep

Hello Gang,

I'm reviving this thread based on my new findings after installing v401.

Everything else almost exactly identical. I say "almost" simply because the car now has about 8-9k more miles. No hardware is different.

Attached are my datalogs in jpeg. First pic represents 1st-2nd-3rd gear pull, and the second is 3rd-4th-5th. (1st gear chopped off, but I thought it wasn't that important anyway.)

Two things that kinda worry me looking at these are:
1) WGDC oscillates a lot in the beginning of each gear;
2) I don't know WTF is going on with my timing...

Please give me some insight here as I'm taking this car to the track for a 3-day event this weekend. Thanks a lot!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 09:47 PM   #30
will.c
Captain
United_States
Rep

oops... Now you can see boost.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 09:31 AM   #31
will.c
Captain
United_States
Rep

I just did two more runs this morning, one with Sport, and one with Drive map. They are both v401 and gears 2-3-4-5. I still see WGDC oscillating and timing advances are often in the negatives, let alone being pulled in the lower gears.

First attachment Sport, second Drive.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 10:02 AM   #32
blisstik
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92

Why don't u try the 402 maps
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 10:05 AM   #33
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisstik View Post
Why don't u try the 402 maps
he is running stage 1. i would send the logs to cobb.
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0