E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Question on side/fender turn signals

04-21-2014, 01:35 PM   #1
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 335i coupe

Question on side/fender turn signals

First off, what exactly are the side turn signals called? I assumed they were called side markers, but that doesn't seem to be the case since SIDEMARKER_US controls the amber turn signal bulbs in the headlight itself that come on with the low beams.

I'm looking to disable warm and cold checks for the fender-mounted side turn signals. I've read that this can be done by disabling the rear signal checks, but I'd like to keep those. Is there any way to just disable the checks for the fender mounted signals?

Thanks!
      04-22-2014, 04:52 AM   #2
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Not that I know of - they are disabled along with the rears as you stated...
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 07:34 AM   #3
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
Not that I know of - they are disabled along with the rears as you stated...
Bummer, seems like a rather odd way for BMW to handle things. I'll have to look into calculating the proper resistor value for them and seeing if that'll suppress the flickering from the checks instead of coding them out.
      04-22-2014, 10:41 AM   #4
wildcatcrazy
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells View Post
First off, what exactly are the side turn signals called?
The sidemarker lights are the ones mounted on the side of the fender, typically behind the wheel. Those particular lights are controlled by the value SIDEMARKER_US.

The amber LEDs in the headlights I believe you are referring to are controlled by the following values:

TAGFAHRLICHT_ECE (nicht_aktiv)
PWM_SL_V_BEI_AKTIVEN_AL (wert_04)
PWM_SL_V_BEI_AKTIVEN_FL (wert_04)
PO_RL_FK_MIT_SL_V to (nicht_aktiv). This setting may disable "all" headlight functions. If so, set it back to aktiv.

To disable them, change to the values above.

For your turn signals, depending on which chassis you have, you would need to set the following to nicht_aktiv:

KALTUEBERWACHUNG_BLK_Z_L (cold check)
KALTUEBERWACHUNG_BLK_Z_R (cold check)
KALTUEBERW_BLK_V_R_2 (cold check)
KALTUEBERW_BLK_V_R_34 (cold check)
WARMUEBERW_BLK_V_L_2 (warm check)
WARMUEBERW_BLK_V_R_2 (warm check)
WARMUEBERWACHUNG_BLK_2_VL (warm check)
WARMUEBERWACHUNG_BLK_2_VR (warm check)

Last edited by wildcatcrazy; 04-22-2014 at 10:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 10:53 AM   #5
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatcrazy View Post
The sidemarker lights are the ones mounted on the side of the fender, typically behind the wheel. Those particular lights are controlled by the value SIDEMARKER_US.

The amber LEDs in the headlights I believe you are referring to are controlled by the following values:

TAGFAHRLICHT_ECE (nicht_aktiv)
PWM_SL_V_BEI_AKTIVEN_AL (wert_04)
PWM_SL_V_BEI_AKTIVEN_FL (wert_04)
PO_RL_FK_MIT_SL_V to (nicht_aktiv). This setting may disable "all" headlight functions. If so, set it back to aktiv.

To disable them, change to the values above.
Heh, I think you may have interpreted my post backwards - it was a bit confusingly worded.

SIDEMARKER_US turns on the headlight turn signals/blinkers at night at a dimmed level as an additional form of running light, like so:

It has no impact on the blinkers mounted on the fender of the vehicle, however.

I'm looking to disable the bulb checks for the side/fender blinkers, which people commonly refer to as "sidemarkers" (different from what the BMW code considers to be sidemarkers). The only way I've found of doing so is to disable the blinker checks for the rear taillight, as the fender blinkers are apparently integrated into this routine.
      04-22-2014, 11:04 AM   #6
wildcatcrazy
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells View Post
I'm looking to disable the bulb checks for the side/fender blinkers, which people commonly refer to as "sidemarkers" (different from what the BMW code considers to be sidemarkers). The only way I've found of doing so is to disable the blinker checks for the rear taillight, as the fender blinkers are apparently integrated into this routine.
Have you tried changing either of these values?:

KALTUEBERWACHUNG_BLK_Z_L (cold check)
KALTUEBERWACHUNG_BLK_Z_R (cold check)
KALTUEBERW_BLK_V_R_2 (cold check)
KALTUEBERW_BLK_V_R_34 (cold check)
WARMUEBERW_BLK_V_L_2 (warm check)
WARMUEBERW_BLK_V_R_2 (warm check)
WARMUEBERWACHUNG_BLK_2_VL (warm check)
WARMUEBERWACHUNG_BLK_2_VR (warm check)
Appreciate 0