E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Mac or PC

08-17-2012, 09:19 AM   #67
Comet
Troll Harder
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3, 997 4 GTS, X6M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
If by 'people with little knowledge' you me people with little patients for constant upgrades, compatibility issues, over complicated application installation routines, etc. then yes, that is us MAC users. I have had 0 issues with MAC in corporate and home environments.

PCs are chosen for the enterprise by IT managers for job security of their department.
at least PCs can upgrade instead of just throwing it all out the window.
Compatibility issues?
if installing stuff on windows is difficult, then yes, you qualify as someone with "little knowledge" lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
That is factually incorrect. They are chosen to meet needs.
+1
Most specialized software for industry and the likes are made for windows, they can't do that on macs!
      08-17-2012, 09:39 AM   #68
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comet View Post
Compatibility issues?
if installing stuff on windows is difficult, then yes, you qualify as someone with "little knowledge" lol

+1
Most specialized software for industry and the likes are made for windows, they can't do that on macs!
+65000 and stuff
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 10:53 AM   #69
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy734 View Post
Mac.

You know what's interesting here? Most Mac users say Mac. Most PC users say PC and then for some reason need to justify their answer, or talk crap about the Mac.
And you just did the same?

Hypocrite?
      08-17-2012, 11:44 AM   #70
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-574...s-macs-to-pcs/

They are smarter than the average computer user and appear to be biased towards mac??

The reason PC is better for work applications is because it is established. Apple products are catching on in the corporate world (we are testing Mac deployment for remote access in our multinational corp and we just moved to issuing iPhones instead of BB).

As soon as vendors start making compatible applications I bet the majority of corporations will phase in Mac products to replace windows products. It may take another 5-10 years but it will happen. Macs just straight outperform PCs. I know specs are better for the money on a home built PC, but it still does not run as well for the average user.

I have moved completely to mac now with Windows on a virtual machine for any work that I rather do on a PC (such as complex Excel work cause Excel for Mac sucks in comparison to the PC version)
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 11:51 AM   #71
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Compatibility issues?
Never said it was difficult just unnecessarily complicated. MAC - Drag the app to the application directory, done.

Maybe some of us prefer to work smarter and not harder.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 11:55 AM   #72
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:

+1
Because software companies can continue to sell upgrades for Windows based application as new versions of hardware, OS, etc render the original application incompatible. That and mass market, availability, etc.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 12:03 PM   #73
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Not to poopoo on all the Mac love here but Macs will never take over the foothold PCs have unless Apple has it's own backend services. If anyone here thinks Microsoft will offer programs that let Apple products have full functionality with their server products their living on Mars. These two companies hate each other. They don't work together at all. It's been like that for years. I'm afraid to say there's no way in the immediate future that Apple will take over the Enterprise because they don't have a business model that would develop the necessary architecture to replace the backend of Windows.

Like it or not Microsoft has been doing Enterprise computing for well over 20 years. Exchange email, SharePoint, SQL, BizTalk Server and Commerce Server to name a few which are all tied into Microsoft's Active Directory Services. Companies have spent loads of money implementing these systems and are not about to change anytime soon to Apple who doesn't have server products to replace even half of these.

I like Macs, I have no problem with them. They are just not for me.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 12:10 PM   #74
Hisam135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Lol at some of the responses here.. I use my MacBook pro for everything
2008 Monaco Blue 335i | Terracotta | Premium | Auto | Comfort Access | Matte-black Grills | Carbon Fiber Splitters | 20% Tint | 1- point E9x Picture Game | Staggered 19' VMR V701 | Legal Disclaimer: My posts on this website cannot be held against me in any issues, such as warranty claims. |
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 07:05 PM   #75
Comet
Troll Harder
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3, 997 4 GTS, X6M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
I have moved completely to mac now with Windows on a virtual machine for any work that I rather do on a PC (such as complex Excel work cause Excel for Mac sucks in comparison to the PC version)
so you haven't moved completely

the thing is, the second Mac starts allowing for all these apps to start running on OSX the way Windows has, OSX will become as unstable as Windows is... the reason windows is so "bad" as people put it is because you have so many shitty written application fucking up your system's Registry and god knows what else.
Mac doesn't have this problem because they don't have a diversity of programs created for them and never will.
as for the virus issue, if Mac becomes dominant, believe it that most virii writers will target macs and they will get them
      08-19-2012, 05:47 PM   #76
bluespeed117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Garage List
2007 e90 328i  [0.00]

Ahem, I hope this picture will make my point for me.
      08-20-2012, 09:07 AM   #77
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

The price gap isn't as wide as it once was.

http://www.techerator.com/2012/02/ar...-is-shrinking/
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 11:00 AM   #78
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluespeed117 View Post
Ahem, I hope this picture will make my point for me.
Mac Pro line has not been updated for over 2 years (besides a very minor processor change very recently). Way to pick the worst and try to make an example out of it. My '06 MacBook Pro was outrunning my friends laptops when I sold it in 2011... so much for being obsolete after 2 years. Oh, and they are ridiculously easy to upgrade. Even if you are talking about components, unless you get one of the new super slim computers with processor and memory soldered into the MB, everything else is easier to upgrade than a PC.

Maybe with a Mac you could have resized that picture and made it more screen friendly.

Quote:
so you haven't moved completely

the thing is, the second Mac starts allowing for all these apps to start running on OSX the way Windows has, OSX will become as unstable as Windows is... the reason windows is so "bad" as people put it is because you have so many shitty written application fucking up your system's Registry and god knows what else.
Mac doesn't have this problem because they don't have a diversity of programs created for them and never will.
as for the virus issue, if Mac becomes dominant, believe it that most virii writers will target macs and they will get them
I believe that Mac will take over the user end of production, the servers will most likely be run by Windows for a while longer as you pointed out that is one place MS actually has their shit together.

Running all of those crap applications through a virtual machine will never make OSX unstable. That is the beauty of a VM, it takes away the crappy parts of Windows and lets me just use it for the few things it is good for.

I am sure there will be a lot of viruses coming out for Macs, there have been a few high profile ones recently though, but the structure of the OS makes it a lot less susceptible than Windows, even without all of that stupid security question crap that windows has been toying with the last few releases.

I am not saying windows is useless. Just saying for an end user that is not doing programming or large networking, a Mac is a better choice. If you get along better with a PC (and you have actually tried a Mac and aren't just mouthing it cause you can't afford it or think everyone is a fanboi) then you are most likely smarter than the average user.

There IS a reason they are becoming more popular than PCs as bluespeed pointed out. And it is not because they are cheap, or have the best components. It is because they just work. And they work well.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 12:15 PM   #79
.b0link
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 LMB 135i

Use what you like and move on.

I use Mac. Because I like it. Its easy to me.

Coming from someone who grew up constantly building PC's, Defragging, Reformatting, tweaking, over clocking, checking for Registry errors, and anything else in order to max out my performance and max out FPS on Counterstrike.

At some point (Seem to remember it being when Microsoft dumped that steaming turd of Vista down everyones throats) that I said enough.

All my worries, fears, and misconceptions about Mac turned out to be totally unfounded. Easy to use, no headaches. No more defragging and semi-annual reformat. No more BSOD. I have not once been held back or unable to do anything on a Mac that I once did on a MS PC. I have also not yet been forced to pay $100+ for a new OS to fix all the errors of the previous one and still feel "current".
      08-20-2012, 12:17 PM   #80
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
There IS a reason they are becoming more popular than PCs as bluespeed pointed out. And it is not because they are cheap, or have the best components. It is because they just work. And they work well.
About 80% of all issues users have with a PC are malware, 10% hardware, 9% are with poorly written drivers and about 1% are actual issues with he Windows 7 OS itself. Microsoft has been the industries punching bag for years, the bad guy, the axis of computer evil but believe it or not Windows 7 is extremely stable. If manufacturer put out crappy drivers or users gets their machines infected it's immediatley blamed as a Microsoft issue and everyone yells fire.

Sorry, the majority of problems are not Microsoft related but computer illiterates don't know any better.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 01:44 PM   #81
.b0link
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 LMB 135i

Quote:
About 80% of all issues users have with a PC are malware, 10% hardware, 9% are with poorly written drivers and about 1% are actual issues with he Windows 7 OS itself. Microsoft has been the industries punching bag for years, the bad guy, the axis of computer evil but believe it or not Windows 7 is extremely stable. If manufacturer put out crappy drivers or users gets their machines infected it's immediatley blamed as a Microsoft issue and everyone yells fire.

Sorry, the majority of problems are not Microsoft related but computer illiterates don't know any better.
Might be the case.

However the way Apple has avoided these issues is the very reason that critics have a problem with them. They run a closed system. They control to the best of their ability what machines the OS gets on. They control the hardware that is used (reducing any possible hardware conflicts). They try their best to evaluate applications that are available for OSX for stability and issues.

By doing this, they reduce those 99% of users with issues.
      08-20-2012, 02:16 PM   #82
NAV8TT
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 ///M3 E92 DCT ZCP

not this thread again
      08-20-2012, 02:47 PM   #83
txz4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 M coupe

have a dell xps 13. Love it, blazing fast and beautiful. Despite the carbon bottom it does heat up a little when gaming, not ouch my fingers but, "i know this isnt good for the internals". Ive tried Macs and just didnt like them, im used to pc and wouldnt want to switch for a number of reasons. My dad was a programer years ago and used to build all his computers when i was young, he switched to mac and he loves it. The mac PCs are also 100 x better looking.

On the issue of phones things are different. I have owned an android phone since the very first offering and without a doubt android is much better than the iphone. That being said, im purchasing the new iPhone and making the switch when its released. Reason? they seem to work. My android is almost always dead and will have a random problem here and there. When it works, its so much better and far more intuitive once you learn the basics, but its a small price to pay for consistency.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 03:36 PM   #84
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
That is factually incorrect. They are chosen to meet needs.
Obviously my tongue-in-cheek comment was lost on you.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 04:22 PM   #85
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Apple has to work on their reactions to vulnerabilities and exploits if they want to get a leg up on M$. Lately, they've been laughable to a point where it's downright scary.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 05:21 PM   #86
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
Obviously my tongue-in-cheek comment was lost on you.
Obviously you don't understand computers, if you did you'd know tongue-in-cheek comments get lost in Internet translation.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 05:24 PM   #87
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by .b0link View Post
Might be the case.

However the way Apple has avoided these issues is the very reason that critics have a problem with them. They run a closed system. They control to the best of their ability what machines the OS gets on. They control the hardware that is used (reducing any possible hardware conflicts). They try their best to evaluate applications that are available for OSX for stability and issues.

By doing this, they reduce those 99% of users with issues.
I agree with everything you said. That's the tradeoff, Mac's are stable because Apple governs them but in turn there's less supported hardware and apps for them. PC's however tend to have more issues because there's more hardware available for them as well as apps that are not governed by Microsoft.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 05:39 PM   #88
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Obviously you don't understand computers, if you did you'd know tongue-in-cheek comments get lost in Internet translation.
I guess understanding is in the eye of the beholder.

BTW. Apple became the most valuable company in the world today.
Appreciate 0