E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > I almost shat my pants just now

08-21-2012, 06:34 PM   #1
JStang
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: FDB M3 CS

I almost shat my pants just now

As I was driving home from work today in a thunderstorm / downpour, the roads were pretty flooded. I always stay in the middle of the road as the outside lanes tend to flood more. I was in about a foot of standing water when all of a sudden my my SES light came on and my car started misfiring badly.

Whenever the roads are flooded, I stress out because of my Stett CAI. Naturally, my first thought was that I ingested some water and I was hydro locking. I had read before that if you hydro lock, you will know it and the car would stop running on the spot.

That made me feel much better. The car misfired for a few more miles as I drove through more flooded streets when all of a sudden the SES light went away and The car started running fine.

I hooked up the AP to the OBD port and hade the following codes:

2AAF (fuel pump plausibility) which is always present
29CF (Misfire cylinder 3)
29D0 (Misfire cylinder 4)
29CC (Misfire several cylinders)
2C77 (Lambda probe behind catalytic converter, signal)
2C78 (O2 sensor after converter 2)

My guess is that an O2 sensor got submerged but that is just a guess. Anyone else care to speculate?

I will tell you one thing, I am seriously considering selling my Stett CAI and going DCI after this scare. With the flash floods we get in Florida, it just doesn't seem worth the risk and worrying.

Last edited by JStang; 08-21-2012 at 06:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 06:45 PM   #2
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: it has 4 wheels

I highly doubt it's your CAI that caused this. It's probably misfires caused by one of many issues, but not limited to (plugs, coilpacks, FuelPump, Injectors, carbon buildup). I have had this happen to me too (not the same weather conditions). Also could be a bad batch of gas.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 06:47 PM   #3
JStang
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joec500 View Post
I highly doubt it's your CAI that caused this. It's probably misfires caused by one of many issues, but not limited to (plugs, coilpacks, FuelPump, Injectors, carbon buildup). I have had this happen to me too (not the same weather conditions). Also could be a bad batch of gas.
I don't think the intake caused it either. Trust me, the water had something to do with it.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 07:42 PM   #4
hemi to e90
dat boost doe
Poland
Rep
Drives: 10 335i 21 740li

bad gas or you coils or your plugs
      08-21-2012, 07:54 PM   #5
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: it has 4 wheels

Damn, were you driving to the point where your exhaust was under water? Assuming you were on the throttle the entire time I assume the the exhaust gas would prevent water from entering?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 08:46 PM   #6
ErvGotti
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i 6MT

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.00]
Wait for everything to dry out, then go WOT. If you get the codes again then it's a hardware issue ie plugs, coils, ect. If you don't get any codes you might want to consider replacing your CAI. Almost every one on these boards get codes going WOT, and I doubt cruising along in rain would throw so many misfire codes.

Not to bash on Stett as I think they're an awesome company and they have done much for the N54 platform, but I've never been a fan of their CAI. It has one source of incoming air that is routed to the bottom of the bumper. I'd be nervous in heavy rain.

I've seen other platforms first hand that have hydro locked due to having one source of air in the lower bumper, though they we're not turbo charged (supercharged) and N/A. But IMHO would you want water hitting the hot blades of a turbo.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 08:47 PM   #7
F80M
Major
Rep
Drives: M Fap

Dang...we gonna need some more crappy phone pictures...

Cant you convert Stett CAI to short ram version?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 08:59 PM   #8
wtfmateim65
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 92 335i JB4

If you're in Florida please take that CAI out!! My cousin lived there for 2 years and I had put a CAI on his Scion tC which reached into the fender well. Insane flash flood hit and he could see it completely flooded with cars stopping in the freeway ahead so he took the only available exit, welp that exit really FLASH flooded and the exit lead down into a pond at the stoplight basically so him and 20ish other cars got instantly buoyant in the feet of water and hydrolocked, engine was toast!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 09:08 PM   #9
JStang
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi to e90 View Post
bad gas or you coils or your plugs
No, no, and no.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 09:09 PM   #10
JStang
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joec500 View Post
Damn, were you driving to the point where your exhaust was under water? Assuming you were on the throttle the entire time I assume the the exhaust gas would prevent water from entering?
I am thinking this is what happened. I never let off the throttle.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 09:10 PM   #11
JStang
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfmateim65 View Post
If you're in Florida please take that CAI out!! My cousin lived there for 2 years and I had put a CAI on his Scion tC which reached into the fender well. Insane flash flood hit and he could see it completely flooded with cars stopping in the freeway ahead so he took the only available exit, welp that exit really FLASH flooded and the exit lead down into a pond at the stoplight basically so him and 20ish other cars got instantly buoyant in the feet of water and hydrolocked, engine was toast!
Yeah it's dci time. It's just not worth it.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 11:48 AM   #12
Eleventeen
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i

I don't think you'd suddenly get misfires on several cylinders that happened to clear up a few minutes later, if it was bad plugs/coils. That usually starts out with one cylinder under high load, then gets progressively worse as time goes on (days, weeks, months). It definitely sounds like you ingested some water to me. It's not like meth injection where it is being atomized by a nozzle under high pressure. If you get a splash of water into the filter, it can/will easily cause misfires across several cylinders. A big enough gulp and you could hydrolock, but anything less than that can easily cause temporary misfires.
      08-22-2012, 12:53 PM   #13
JStang
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleventeen View Post
I don't think you'd suddenly get misfires on several cylinders that happened to clear up a few minutes later, if it was bad plugs/coils. That usually starts out with one cylinder under high load, then gets progressively worse as time goes on (days, weeks, months). It definitely sounds like you ingested some water to me. It's not like meth injection where it is being atomized by a nozzle under high pressure. If you get a splash of water into the filter, it can/will easily cause misfires across several cylinders. A big enough gulp and you could hydrolock, but anything less than that can easily cause temporary misfires.
DCI is on order. I'm done stressing when it rains over a few degrees of cooler IAT's.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 01:10 PM   #14
NoQuarter
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 535xi / 2011 Z4 35Is

Garage List
2018 BMW X2  [0.00]
2008 535xi  [0.00]
2011 Z4 35is  [0.00]
When I am driving around in routine sort of traffic, my IAT is about 18-22 degF hotter than outside air temp with my DCI.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 01:26 PM   #15
BoostedE90
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i 6MT

Still pretty interested to know what happened cause I live in the same area and flooding these past few days has gotten ridiculous. I don't have a CIA but an area of concern is the 02 sensors.

I would think that would have been one heck of a gulp of water to cause some quench. It would have to come in through the CIA, through a turbo (or both), to the IC piping, through the IC, through the CP, and then finally into the intake manifold. But then again the engine is really designed to handle water so any amount of water ingested could be harmful.

Last edited by BoostedE90; 08-22-2012 at 01:34 PM..
Appreciate 0