E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Euro intake, then powerbox

06-08-2013, 09:06 AM   #1
accel
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 328i MT ZSP

Euro intake, then powerbox

I've installed these two in a course of the week.

First I did just the intake (with standard filter), and a couple of days later added the powerbox.

Well, after just the intake i felt nothing. Neither sound change, nor performance gains. Maybe slightly easier acceleration after 4k rpms, but not very explocit. If it did anything it was like getting some vitamins.

After adding Powerbox - i felt immediate performance gains.

What Cdv does to the clutch, powerbox does to gas pedal.

P.s. i know many favor AA tuning, but I consciously selected powerbox.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 10:11 AM   #2
willsull80
Push the skinny pedal granny this is a DE!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i Coupe Sport package

I noticed mine improve as well with the power box but I'm about to get a AA tune on mine So I've taken it off. I put it on the dyno and gained around 10 to 12 hp

The only negative I seem with the powerbox is I was running 10.6 air fuel at wide open. With it off I was running closer to 12

Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 01:13 PM   #3
Ali-E90
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 323i (Cdn)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
2007 BMW 323i  [8.50]
I just got my powerbox installed today, and I'm definitely impressed!
Thanks to Mike@N54Tuning! He really knows what he's doing and his pricing is very fair. Great guy, couldn't be happier with his work. Very clean.

Will also be adding an injen intake soon, but for sound more than anything else.
      06-08-2013, 06:24 PM   #4
dpilat8588
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
i have in injen sp series inatalled and it really screams around 4k
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 06:39 PM   #5
accel
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 328i MT ZSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by willsull80
I noticed mine improve as well with the power box but I'm about to get a AA tune on mine So I've taken it off. I put it on the dyno and gained around 10 to 12 hp

The only negative I seem with the powerbox is I was running 10.6 air fuel at wide open. With it off I was running closer to 12
One of the reasons why I chose powerbox - you can disable it completely, partially, permanently or temporarily. AA has a couple extra horses over the powerbox, but you don't control it. Also, I didn't like the fact they do not have stock vs tune dynos at their website (not at the time i was making up my mind at least). They only have somebody's modified car vs somebody's modified car + AA. So how did they do their R&D? Where's the trace of that?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 07:00 PM   #6
willsull80
Push the skinny pedal granny this is a DE!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i Coupe Sport package

they told me I can dyno my car and they will adjust the tune to my version of a "modified car" and you can buy SIMON and put the stock tune back in..
Pound for pound the powerbox is cheaper fun, But I have seen the A/F trends with it and its burning more fuel than it should. I guess its user preference the powerbox has its place as well as AA's option for a tune.

one feature that BMS needs to add to the power box is something that lets you know that you really are in the tune that you are picking. I noticed on the dyno it does not always come out or go in like you think it should. Even if you fallow the instructions to the "T"
Appreciate 0