E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > 2011 E90 gets Musicar Level Three plus DSP

08-01-2014, 06:03 AM   #67
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb335
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgatti View Post
my current first pass alignment is purely based on measured distances from the driver's head to the individual speakers. The Helix allows just entering these distances and it will calculate the necessary delays for all speakers except the furthest away. I know it worked because the sound from the drivers seat is very centered around my head. But the passenger side stinks, and I would like to set a reasonable compromise setting for when I have a passenger if I can't come up with a method I'll just defeat all time processing and run the center channel.
Just align front to back but not left to right, basically measure to a point between the front seats so that the fronts are delayed some compared to the rear or subs.....but honestly you wont be accomplishing much.... Use the center, and you will need to will need to set a completely different EQ, it will be ok but nothing like the optimized driver settings.
Thanks Jeff, I'll try that and just compare it with no delay on all speakers. I do have the center to play with which i can bring in for the multi seat tune, unfortunately with the helix all I can figure is the center is a sum of LR.
OEM Black grill and Blackline tails - LCI halogens with Lux V2 coded as DRL - 3M Crystalline - BMS PBX - OEM Euro Airbox with K&N - Hardwired CTEK - Bilstein B6 w/OEM springs and SP perches - Conti DWS06 - HiFi-Helix DSP - JLAudio HD/XD-Morel - CD changer trim - AE optical out
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 07:32 PM   #68
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

c should only be information that is common to BOTH L&R, not L+R
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 08:16 PM   #69
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl
c should only be information that is common to BOTH L&R, not L+R
Yea I know but helix can't do that.
OEM Black grill and Blackline tails - LCI halogens with Lux V2 coded as DRL - 3M Crystalline - BMS PBX - OEM Euro Airbox with K&N - Hardwired CTEK - Bilstein B6 w/OEM springs and SP perches - Conti DWS06 - HiFi-Helix DSP - JLAudio HD/XD-Morel - CD changer trim - AE optical out
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 12:52 AM   #70
Wongway
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328i xdrive

I don't know a lot so I could be off base here...

As I gather from most alignment discussions, the general practice is measure to the far speaker and start there. This inherently creates a sweet spot for the driver. So I assume that's what was done?

So I wonder... why not delay all your rear speakers even more?

I'm guessing the idea is to trick your ears into thinking that it all lands in your ear at the same time, so if you're trying to accomplish this effect for both front seats, delay the crap out of your rears even more and physics would already accomplish the intent?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 01:13 AM   #71
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wongway View Post
I don't know a lot so I could be off base here...

As I gather from most alignment discussions, the general practice is measure to the far speaker and start there. This inherently creates a sweet spot for the driver. So I assume that's what was done?

So I wonder... why not delay all your rear speakers even more?

I'm guessing the idea is to trick your ears into thinking that it all lands in your ear at the same time, so if you're trying to accomplish this effect for both front seats, delay the crap out of your rears even more and physics would already accomplish the intent?
If the goal is to create a solid front stage, you don't really want the rears to contribute. If anything, you want the sound from the rears to arrive later to create the sense of delay and a larger space. Typically you also want the rear gains to be turned down quite a bit because you don't want it to sound like its direct. Some people even put them out of phase to further create the illusion of reflected sound simulating a large space.

Then there are those who say get rid of the rears completely.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 05:28 AM   #72
Wongway
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
If the goal is to create a solid front stage, you don't really want the rears to contribute. If anything, you want the sound from the rears to arrive later ...
Hence why I wondered about delaying the crap out of the rears (and under seats while I think of it)
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 12:28 PM   #73
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wongway View Post
Hence why I wondered about delaying the crap out of the rears (and under seats while I think of it)
The under seats are part of the front stage so you'll want to try to get those in phase with your mids but more importantly your sub.