E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Coilovers on budget

08-04-2013, 07:59 PM   #1
TAM11M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330i SE E90

Coilovers on budget

Hi guys

I just wanted to ask you guys something, thinking of eventually lowering my car and considering what routes to take with it,

I want my car to be comfortable to drive around town and unknown areas so cant be too low, and I know m-sport is perfect ride height but I like the idea of lowering a little bit more before a show or raising a little before a long trip.

One thing that annoys me about the SE suspension is.. well its not what I would call comfortable compared to the cars I have owned. Just feels a bit on the harsher side. but it wobbles soo much on the bends is a sacrifice without any gain.

Now I have spotted some cheap coilovers, the Ta technix and Rokkor kit and thought they are pretty cheap just to lower the car, also quality seems good as not really seen any bmw owners complain that they have broken on them.

So my question is, has anyone tried them? how is the driving comfort compared to SE or M-sport?

Thanks for reading

Tam
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 09:53 PM   #2
DuckySpud
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D Touring

I've seen a few people on here install cheaper coilovers like those, JOMs, FKs etc. The seem OK at first but after a while they seem to get leaks and corrode, not the best long term investment basically.

Cheapest coilovers I would reccomend really are BCs, quite a lot of people have them and are really happy, but theyre around £650 if u remember correctly.

But on another note, adding coilovers won't improve comfort... if anything it'll be the opposite! Best thing you can do for comfort is change to non run flat tyres, makes a world of difference!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 10:05 PM   #3
AlanYoro35i
Senior Troll
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Coming soon-718 Cayman S

Bliestein B4's with either H&R springs for low ride or eibach pro's for a better than M sport setup without the harshness.

Also make sure you are using normal tyre's not run flat crap

Now: 718 Cayman GTS / F83 M4
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 03:24 AM   #4
adamroutley
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320d M-sport Touring E90

I had JOM coilovers on a polo a couple of years back. For what you pay they are perfect. No leaks and if you cover them in copper grease as you fit them, then they won't seize.

I had them down as low as my drive-shaft would allow with no issues. Had them for about 2 years.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 03:26 AM   #5
adamroutley
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320d M-sport Touring E90

Said polo:

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 11:11 AM   #6
simmo1985
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 Edition M Sport 320D

Do not get JOMS, i have them and they are shit. I've had them on for around 4-5 weeks and they knock like a bitch. Had them off 3 times now to try and find the problem. One of the droplinks has now bust, so not going to know if i've found the issue until i get a replacement link.

If i knew it was going to be this much of a pain in the arse i would have just waited another month and got some better ones. But me being me, too impatient to wait. I've learnt my lesson though.

p.s - The ride is very harsh compared to M-Sport suspension.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 11:52 AM   #7
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D

Most knocking will come from droplinks, especially if they're not shorter. FKs are supposed to be fairly decent, were rock hard on my old Mk5 Fiesta though. Budget coilovers will always sacrifice ride quality. If possible get some damper adjustable ones. The Buddy Club ones have a really nice way of adjusting the height too, which lowers the strut retaining full suspension travel (well until the body limits it)
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 12:14 PM   #8
achu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

looking for the exact same thing and reading about how crap FK and JOMs are... apparently the best are BC coilovers for budget? but they still come in at £700ish... i guess going low isn't cheap...

Facebook: Achu Ckr|Twitter: AchuCkr|Instagram: AchuCKR|Flickr: AchuCKR|G+: achu.ckr
THE BUILD THREAD|COMPILATION OF PHOTOS
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 12:26 PM   #9
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D

Coilovers over £400 aren't budget
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 04:25 PM   #10
Jonathon335
Rep
Drives: 335I

FK- drives surprisingly well, however I don't think it would last long with our roads...price reflects quality. Personally seen these given some thrashing and results where good, in terms of ride quality and performance.

BC- good mix for money, good ride and performance.

Then it all bigger money from there

I would only really recommend budget coils for lows only really!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 05:11 PM   #11
TAM11M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330i SE E90

See ideal world is comfortable and low with cheap.

Reality is either comfortable (my car doesnt have run flats and I still think its harsh compared to other cars like my sisters is200 which is also lowered)

so as the car naturally is a bit harsher than what I like I might as well deal with slightly harder but nice a low on the car.

But I agree, anything above £400 is not budget sadly, I dont mind waiting its just I can see that I can end up spending a lot more money on coilovers that aren't that much better than a decent set of budget coilovers (from previous experience)

My main goal is to make the e90 look the part and save up for some form of supercar to actually be the part, long term goals but while starting up a business you have to have these goals to keep extra focused haha
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 03:07 AM   #12
gaza01
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

I know its not coillies but i recently fitted h&r springs on my msport suspension. The ride is comparable as the springs are progressive. You only notice the more damped ride when u go over a bump / depression that actually changes the car's level. Then u feel the swifter damping which equates to a quicker firmer shake. Day to day driving tho is almost smoother i'd say. Im well pleased with the outcome vs the cost!
Appreciate 0