E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > DTEC V2 Angel Eyes Review (pre lci)

08-27-2013, 07:31 PM   #1
mccannable
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1

DTEC V2 Angel Eyes Review (pre lci)

My quest for budget friendly Angel Eyes started about 14 months ago when saw a post about cheap ebay AE's that actually weren’t too terrible. I spent the $40ish dollars and installed them. They were fine at dusk or in the garage, but in sunlight or at night with the lights on they were not present.

Fast forward to this past month the drives side bulb died. So I started over but decided an upgrade was in order. I looked at all the brands and reviews and was not sure I was willing to spend $175 on this mod. I found DTEC LED Cree V2 15w (x2) bulbs. Cost at $120 I decided it was worth the risk. I see e92-lighting.com present so I figured it was safe.

The shipping actually came pretty quick. The install not so much, my 1 year old Harbor Freight jack failed to perform its duties. Due to lack of good jacks under $500 I made another trip to get another jack and the 2 year warranty.

The actual install was easy because it was not my first time around. The bulbs are plug and play and went in smoothly. The size and weight of the DTEC compared to the ebay specials is very drastic.

One thing that annoyed me about the old bulbs was the flickering at start up, which seems common. The new bulbs do not do this anymore.

They are quite bright and remind me of the new bmw factory bulbs. They are a good shade of white and do not like like the blue tint that a lot of ricers have. They match my 6000k bulbs nicely. They do not wash out when the headlights on but do not bleed to bad either.

Overall I recommend these and cannot see what the more costly bulbs could add.

DTEC on the left

DTEC on right(drivers side) Difference is much more prevalent in sunlight

Same info as above

Bright sunny florida day, still clear and defined.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2013, 02:13 PM   #2
mi_bimmer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i E90 N52

Glad I saw this. I got the cheapo eBay ones too for about $40. Total waste of money. 1 bulb died a couple days after installation. I had to pay postage to get it exchanged. The other one died 6 months later without much use.

I'm thinking of going for the MTEC V4. For $20 more seems like a good deal.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 10:53 AM   #3
mccannable
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi_bimmer View Post
Glad I saw this. I got the cheapo eBay ones too for about $40. Total waste of money. 1 bulb died a couple days after installation. I had to pay postage to get it exchanged. The other one died 6 months later without much use.

I'm thinking of going for the MTEC V4. For $20 more seems like a good deal.
if i recall the mtec v4 are 7000k. i liked theses because they are 6000k just like my headlights.
Appreciate 0