E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Next upgrade recommendation

12-05-2013, 02:54 PM   #23
paddy335
Major
Rep
Drives: M140i;X5 40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by odariel View Post
Hi guys,

Should be an option but it isn't: LSD... i have a welded diff, and I live in spain where i would need to send it overseas to perform the cutting etc...

I talked to wavetrac and they don't stock my pumpkin, so i can't pay extra and when i receive it send mine back for a refund... and having the car on jacks for at least a month is a no go.. it is my daily driver.

Recommendations??? any other options i missed??
I know you said it isn't an option.....but you should at least give Birds Auto in the UK a call. They do Quaife LSD's and I think it is about 1250GBP installed on a welded conversion.

The diff is fundamental for extracting the 335's power.

I would do the suspension and diff in conjunction, Birds do a great Bilstein kit for the 335i.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2013, 10:34 AM   #24
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
As you have used my photo in your thread, I allow myself some comments from my own experience:

- As someone else already said, it's a very bad idea to run cup tires / semi slicks on the stock suspension. I experienced someone doing this last summer on the 'Ring, and the result was rather disastrous. Before running cup tires, upgrade all other components.

- The Öhlins is in my very own and personal opinion one of the best coilovers around for the E9x. As you've probably read, I've had a Bilstein B16 before swapping it out for the Öhlins, and I'm still very happy with the latter. I run my car frequently on the 'Ring and the suspension is excellent for this track - not too stiff in particular. It also still allows you to drive the car on a daily basis, which is not the case for some other cupsport suspension that I've experienced.

- The LSD is also an excellent idea, even if it is rather expensive for welded diffs. I would not ship anything overseas but rather take your car on a holiday to London at get a Quaife from Birds. There should however also be other companies that can install one of these in Spain or nearby - just contact Kevin Birds on that, he should be able to help you out.

- The M3 bits also sharpen the car quite a bit, reduce understeer and make it far more precise to drive. If you do an LSD, I would at least do the rear bushings at the same time to avoid double labour costs; for the other parts, you can also do them gradually as they're mostly plug&play and see whether you like the result.

Alpina_B3_Lux
      12-06-2013, 12:53 PM   #25
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

I've been tracking my e90 330 for about seven years. I have all the suspension pieces everyone is suggesting and I did them in phases so I have before and after impressions.
I must admit, I never tracked my car completely stock since I was coming from a Corvette Z06 and the 330 was pretty boring so I modified the suspension first with coil-overs. This is my baseline.

1. JIC-Cross coilovers: 450f/674r spring rates, 15 way single adjustable, camber plates and UUC adjustable swaybars, Advan RS wheels (10lbs/corner lighter than stock):
The car handles like a sports car. It transformed the entire feel of the car immediately. On the track, the car was easily placed where I wanted it and very predictable. Mid-corner and corner exiting it was VERY aparent that I did not have an LSD and could not adjust the balance of the car since the inside tire would spin. Even with a 330 and only having 255hp and 220ft lbs I felt I needed an LSD.
2. Diffsonline LSD installed:
What a difference in everyday driving and track days! MAJOR difference in the way the car performs. I know in the past CJ421 has stated that BMW are idiots for not putting an LSD in the car from the factory and he's right. Mid-corner balance and coming out of corners makes a HUGE difference. I also race an e92 335 with an LSD and I just can't even image tracking a 335 without one. Simply put, this is a mod that is expensive, but well worth the money.
3. Stoptech BBK:
I didn't want to worry about brakes so I installed a 6-piston front and 4-piston rear Stoptech BBK. No worries at all diving in very deep into a corner, even off line. The pedal feel is great and no worries about losing brakes. Pads I've chosen have lasted a long time and have really been beneficial in the long run. In 6 years of tracking (close to 50 track days) I've only had to replace rotors once and I'm still on the same street pads from day one.
4. M3 suspension and strut bar added:
Turn-in and steering feel are better than before. The added stiffness of the bushings helps with reaction times and keeps everything more tidy. A worthy addition once you have everything else done.
5. Lightening the car - CF roof, hood, trunk and Sparco seats, etc. - my car ended up weighing 3,210lbs. with 3/4 tank of fuel
Yes, with the NA engine in the 330 I could feel the 180lbs I ended taking off my car. I do have a tune, CAI and exhaust that give me about 270hp.

For your needs/wants: IMHO I'd suggest getting the LSD and the coil-overs. Then go from there.
The last thing you want to "add" to your car is HP. Become the best driver you can and you'll be quicker than cars with more HP.
Hell, before adding HP I'd definitely do brakes first. If you can't stop all that HP, what good does it do you?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2013, 06:56 PM   #26
odariel
Private First Class
Spain
Rep
Drives: M3 DKG

Well, the ohlins is ordered from the beggining of the week. It should be on the car next thursday...

I was able to source the TRW / M3 parts ridiculously cheap, (i guess the only perk of living in a country where pretty much nobody mods this car)

everything from Alpina's B3 Lux picture minus the bushings & sway bars for 460€, so i ended up buying it...

@3002 Tii @DallasBoosted thanks guys for your input. The camber plates are on my list for future mods as HP Autosport knows, i asked him about them las week... Thanks Mike for your recommendations as well.. i guess i did good buying the m3 bits.

Regarding the rear bushings, my car has 28.000 kms (about 17.000 miles) so my bushings should be ok for the moment... since it looks that i will end up buying an LSD, i guess i will change them when that happens...

To be honest, the more i read about LSDs, I am more inclined towards the wavetrac... it has some technology that should make it superior, i did talked to wavetrac directly 6 months ago, and the prospects of getting one seemed slim, but i dropped them another email last week and now they have a shop in germany that can perform the machining.. i'll drop them an email and see what happens...

@will.c the suspension is on the way... and until the camber plates come, we'll see how it fares with the m3 arm and the ohlins. (i am getting a bit of negative camber with the arms btw)

@Alpina_B3_Lux yours is one of the reviews that sold me on the ohlins. I like the fact that has relatively soft springs and that there is room for comfort there. Let me thank you for all your detailed reviews, they are entertaining & informative reading.

@TSM330i thanks for your input. Yours seem like a very logical way to improve the car...

LSD will probably be my next mod..

Thanks everybody. Keep the comments coming.

Last edited by odariel; 04-14-2014 at 01:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2013, 08:55 PM   #27
odariel
Private First Class
Spain
Rep
Drives: M3 DKG

By the way guys, by reading other people's post that had installed the M3 front arms,i see that it seems to be a bit of a challenge to properly align the car once the m3 bits are on... M3 alignment specs don't seem to work on our car... Since some of you have already done it, what are your recomendations? (If you can give me the correct values for camber, toe, etc that would be perfect!

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0