E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > How to remove the Touring rear wiper linkage

12-31-2013, 12:13 PM   #1
jrsmitchell
Switchtronic
Canada
Rep
Drives: E91 325xi 6MT, 94 Alpina B3

How to remove the Touring rear wiper linkage

Googling around, it seems the rear wiper linkage is a frequent failure on the E91 Tourings. It is part # 10 in this diagram:

Long story short, mine is seizing. I can spray it with WD40 and get it moving for a few days, but it always seizes again.

I was able to get all the trim bits removed, the arm off, and the nuts removed, and so on. However I was not able to get the linkage out. Even prying on it with a screw driver and hitting the spindle with a hammer did not get it out. I think I'm doing the right thing but figure I'd ask before I possibly damage the glass.

Anyone done this? Can you confirm it's as straightforward as it looks? Remove nut 2/11 on the outside and 6 on the inside and it should just come out?

If it helps, here's an actual picture of the part I'm trying to remove.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 03:25 PM   #2
roundle
EXPAT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 VW GTI;18 CX9;11 E91 N52

Have not taken my apart, sorry. However, I find that if I do not clean and lube mine every year or so, it starts to move quite slow.

WD40 isn't going to solve the problem (for more than 40 days). Get some proper gear oil up in there--it'll soak into the metal bits and keep the water out.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 10:41 AM   #3
jrsmitchell
Switchtronic
Canada
Rep
Drives: E91 325xi 6MT, 94 Alpina B3

Well it's a year later, and I'm wishing I could use my rear wiper again I was able to get through last year by keeping it lubed and moving it manually from time to time, but it's really starting to seize now.

So I'm poking this thread to see if anyone knows how to get the rear wiper parts off so I can replace # 10 ?

I have no problem ordering the part, but not if I won't be able to replace it. Is it glued onto the glass or something?
Appreciate 0