E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Nurburgring trip(s) 2014 - track days

12-18-2013, 08:46 AM   #1
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Nurburgring trip(s) 2014 - track days

As a few of you know, I'm frequently driving on the Nürburgring Nordschleife (if the weather permits it). Next year I also plan to be there a few times; as some dates for track days already start being published, I found it useful to share that information so that you can plan if some of you would like to do this together (which is always loads of fun). If some here are interested, it would be great to use this thread in order to see who would like to go there at which date. It would be great to see a few of you there in 2014! And of course I would be pleased to take some of you around the 'Ring in my car or do a passenger lap with you driving (which is how I started to learn the track myself).

In particular, I'd be really pleased to see Lars, Ant, Matt and Tone back at the 'Ring (like this year). I'm sure some friends of mine in Luxembourg or Germany will also join us for this.

---

General information about the Nürburgring

First of all, what is called the "Nürburgring" as such is not a race track as one could assume, but rather a complex dedicated to motorsport and which currently features two different circuits - the old "Nordschleife" ("North Loop") built in the 1920s with a length of almost 21 kilometers (13 miles) and the modern Grand Prix circuit built in 1984 with a length of a bit more than 5 kilometers (3.2 miles). It is the latter that is nowadays used for Formula One racing (every two years), the older Nordschleife being reserved for slower race cars such as touring racing cars. Both circuits can be combined, which is for example done during the famous 24h race that takes place each year in June. And yes, there also existed a "Südschleife" at one point in time, but this is no longer in use as a race circuit today.

Now, what makes the Nordschleife so interesting? Well, first of all it's the pure length of the circuit: Almost 21 kilometers! This is extremely long for a race circuit, and to my knowledge unique in the world. Today's circuits are much, much shorter, which can be observed by comparing it to the new Grand Prix circuit that is about 1/4 of the length of the Nordschleife - to make it easier to observe by spectators and less expensive to maintain. For the driver, however, this provides an incredible amount of variety. The circuit is so long that it takes at least 100 laps to more or less fix it in the driver's memory - remember, with an average fast road car it takes you between 8 and 10 minutes to complete one lap! There are 73 (!) bends, each significantly different from each other in radius, width, sideways elevation or slope and some with bumps in the middle.

Secondly, the Nordschleife is situated in a very hilly region that is called the Eifel, a geographically speaking very old part of Germany that was once volcano country (the last eruption took place around 10.000 years ago, however). This also means that there is a significant difference in altitude over the whole track - around 300 meters between the highest and the lowest point, with up to 17% incline and 11% decline. This makes it much, much harder to drive than almost all other circuits (which are usually flat), as the constant changes in altitude obviously have a significant influence on how the car behaves, how its weight is shifting, where you have to brake or accelerate and at which point you can turn into a corner. This is also a main part of what is so fascinating about the Nordschleife - not only is it extremely long, but you have so many different possible driving challenges and speeds mixed in there that it is never boring - and of course the Nordschleife is again totally different when it's wet…!

Here's how the complete circuit looks like (with the Grand Prix circuit in the lower left corner), together with the names of its most famous parts:

A very useful site is the Bride to Gantry website where you can find lots of info on the 'Ring itself, opening times, track days or rental cars.

I have also summarised my own impressions and illustrated it with some photos in the following thread: Drivers Training Nürburgring September 2011.

Track Days

Track Days are not to be confused with the "Touristenfahrten". The latter means that the 'Ring is open for anyone with a street legal car and that you have to pay for each lap. On Track Days, the 'Ring is only open for a limited number of cars that have to book beforehand; usually, you have to pay per driver (although this depends on the organiser), and even passengers have to pay. Cars also have to be street legal for this.

Advantage of Track Days: There are less cars, people are usually more experienced so less chance of an accident, and usually a more homogenous level of speed on the track. Also, you can drive straight through the Döttinger Höhe and do not have to brake for the barrier (which you have to do on Touristenfahrten as you need to pay for each lap). It's usually also possible to book an instructor, if you'd like to learn how to drive on the track under professional guidance (which is a good idea, in particular for newbies).

Here are a few dates for track days that I have been informed about, along with a link to the website of the organiser and the price (there are also earlier dates but considering the weather at the 'Ring I do not find dates in March or April particularly appealing):
More times as well as prices for instructors can also be found here (under "Schedule"): Oliver Grams race training school I booked an instructor with them 2 years ago and was pleasantly surprised by their quality.

Touristenfahrten

As mentioned above, these are times when the 'Ring is open for anyone with a street legal car. You have to pay for each lap before you want to drive there. Tickets can be bought online or at the ticket hut near the two parking lots at the entrance of the Nordschleife. Prices are as follows (starting January 2014):
  • 1 lap Nordschleife or 1 Turn á 15 min GP-Strecke: 27,- €
  • 4 laps Nordschleife or 4 Turns á 15 min GP-Strecke: 100,- €
  • 9 laps Nordschleife or 9 Turns á 15 min GP-Strecke: 209,- €
  • 25 laps Nordschleife or 25 Turns á 15 min GP-Strecke: 518,- €

The opening times of the Nordschleife can be consulted under the following link:
Official Nürburgring website - opening times Touristenfahrten

The Touristenfahrten are usually rather busy, there can be up to 200 cars on the track at the same time, in particular during week-ends. If possible I would therefor recommend to drive during the week; however, as the industry pool is testing on the 'Ring between March and October, opening times during the week are rather limited (usually only between 5 and 7 pm).

Insurance?

As my car is registered in Germany, I am covered by my car insurance even if I drive on the Ring (as long as it is not a competition which a track day is not).

However, in the UK car insurances usually exclude driving on the 'Ring, be it for track days or during the Touristenfahrten. The following website should give you some info about how to resolve this problem:
http://www.nurburgring.org.uk/insurance.php

Please note however that this insurance only covers damage to your own car, not to the armco at the 'Ring or damages that incur if the track has to be closed due to your accident.

Rental (race) car

If you prefer not to drive on the 'Ring with your own car, you can also rent one that is specificially prepped for the track. A well-known car rental that is located right near the 'Ring is Rent4Ring - they have Suzuki Swift, BMW 125i, VW Scirocco, Subaru BRZ, BMW M3 and Porsche GT3 RS available.

An alternative is RentRaceCar with similar cars, including also a VW Golf GTI or a Porsche Cayman.

---

Looking forward to seeing you at the 'Ring in 2014!

Alpina_B3_Lux

12-18-2013, 09:55 AM   #2
NocturnalEVO
Stock
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i

I so wish I could take a trip out there to drive on that track. One day hopefully..
Thanks for a very informative post though!
'06 R6 Anniversary Edition (sold)
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 10:21 AM   #3
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330d M Sport

Garage List
I'd love to give this a try one day, but it's a lot of money to drop for a trackday... Give or take £500 for just the track time, then travel there and back, accomodation, the inevitable new set of tyres

If I win the lottery, perhaps...
      03-11-2014, 12:04 PM   #4
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
The Nürburgring has been sold to Capricorn. Capricorn was one of the bidders for the 'Ring, next to the German car club ADAC and the private equity house HIG Capital. Capricorn is a company active in the automotive industry and already employs 350 people near the 'Ring. http://www.capricorngroup.net/no_cache/en.html

Alpina_B3_Lux
      03-11-2014, 12:34 PM   #5
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Just realised the 'Ring is only 2hr drive away from Aachen. Planing a European driving trip based around the Spa GP weekend, and going down to do all the famous Alpine passes in Switzerland before heading back to UK....Now need to some how convince the wife to take a detour to the 'Ring...My Racewerks oil cooler will be fitted by than so less change of overheating

Just checked its open to the public the week leading up to the Belgium GP prefect

Can you just turn up at the 'Ring and drive?
Is there much traffic??
If it's open between 5-7pm, what time do I have to get there to get a chance to go on track (1 lap only, no intention of trying to do any time laps, doubt i'll be brave enough to go over 70mph )?

Last edited by gangzoom; 03-11-2014 at 12:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 12:49 PM   #6
windymissile
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport

Pm. sessions are always your best chance. But if the weather is good it will always be busy. Get there as early as you can. You have to queue for a card and you pay-as -you-go for laps. 1, 4 or 10.

WM
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 12:49 PM   #7
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post
Just realised the 'Ring is only 2hr drive away from Aachen. Planing a European driving trip based around the Spa GP weekend, and going down to do all the famous Alpine passes in Switzerland before heading back to UK....Now need to some how convince the wife to take a detour to the 'Ring...My Racewerks oil cooler will be fitted by than so less change of overheating

Just checked its open to the public the week leading up to the Belgium GP prefect

Can you just turn up at the 'Ring and drive?
Is there much traffic??
If it's open between 5-7pm, what time do I have to get there to get a chance to go on track (1 lap only)?
The Nordschleife is open during the times indicated as "Touristenfahrten" (see the link in my first post hereabove). You can more or less just turn up and drive - you only need to buy a lap (or several) that are booked onto a card that is swiped at the entrance of the Nordschleife. The ticket hut is right near the entrance where the barrier is, easy to find.

Traffic depends on weather conditions and whether it's a week-end / public holiday or not. The times during the week are best, as there are usually not many people driving then. If it's open for Touristenfahrten between 5-7 p.m., you can drive for 2 hours (if you bought enough laps). One lap will take you about 10-12 minutes if you've never driven there. I would do more than one, if I were you... maybe without the wife!

If you're close to Leicester, ask Palmnuts about it, he's been there a lot. And if you're coming during a week-end, drop me a note and I may be able to join you.

Alpina_B3_Lux
      03-11-2014, 01:51 PM   #8
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina_B3_Lux View Post
If you're close to Leicester, ask Palmnuts about it, he's been there a lot. And if you're coming during a week-end, drop me a note and I may be able to join you.

Alpina_B3_Lux
I may well take you up on the offer, be great to have someone to show me round Might finally actually be able to put the Procede tune to some hard use....Though am not entirely sure if my wife would be happy if I told her I was going to leave her in a German car park fully of car geeks, whilst I go off honing around one of the most dangerous roads in the area ....Let's not forget by this point she's probably sick to death of me going on about cars given it's probably either just before or after the Spa / Stelvio Pass
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 02:10 PM   #9
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep

Just reading up on the insurance/crashing costs...looks pretty scary for the bank account if something goes wrong .

Though it looks like you can hire a little Suzuki with about 100bhp for not too much, which includes insurance cover (and rather large excess). Think I'll probably go for this rather than risk taking my own car....100bhp and FWD is about as much I can handle given my lack of driving skills

http://www.rent4ring.de

Anyone used one of these hire cars around the ring?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 03:04 PM   #10
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
When are you planning to go Marcel?

I was talking to Lars at a recent Penny Black meet and he said, it's definitely a great experience and especially if i sit next to someone who can drive like Tony!

I'm just bit worried about these "track" days tho...
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 11:08 AM   #11
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
I may well take you up on the offer, be great to have someone to show me round Might finally actually be able to put the Procede tune to some hard use....Though am not entirely sure if my wife would be happy if I told her I was going to leave her in a German car park fully of car geeks, whilst I go off honing around one of the most dangerous roads in the area ....Let's not forget by this point she's probably sick to death of me going on about cars given it's probably either just before or after the Spa / Stelvio Pass
The wives / girlfriends that were accompanying the petrolheads always had a good time at the 'Ring. There's a café at the entrance of the Nordschleife, and even for a non-car-geek it's quite fascinating to see all the cars there.

And the 'Ring is not dangerous if you behave like a reasonable adult.

Alpina_B3_Lux
      03-12-2014, 11:09 AM   #12
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Just reading up on the insurance/crashing costs...looks pretty scary for the bank account if something goes wrong .
Ask Andrew aka Palmnuts about this. AFAIK there are insurance companies that offer 'Ring coverage on a per-day basis and that shouldn't be too expensive.

Alpina_B3_Lux
      03-12-2014, 11:11 AM   #13
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zltm089 View Post

I was talking to Lars at a recent Penny Black meet and he said, it's definitely a great experience and especially if i sit next to someone who can drive like Tony!

Yes it's really fun. Even more so at track days, in particular if you book an instructor (I'd always do that if it's the first time you drive there). Also, on track days the speed differential between the cars is far lower than during Touristenfahrten, and there are less cars on the track - so it's usually less dangerous then.

I don't know yet when I'll be there, as I'm currently changing cars. But I certainly intend to do at least one or two track days. If some of you guys are coming over on a specific week-end, I can certainly meet you there as it's only about a 70 minutes drive from where I live.

Alpina_B3_Lux
      03-13-2014, 12:48 AM   #14
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep

Just ran it past the wife, she hadn't heard of the 'ring before, made a face when I said it's where Lauda crashed (I made her watch Rush), but hasn't said no....which in my mind means a YES to a 'ring detour

Now just need to sort out insurance....August cannot come quickly enough
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 02:30 AM   #15
windymissile
Major
Rep

Quote:

I don't know yet when I'll be there, as I'm currently changing cars.
Alpina_B3_Lux
Please tell me this is not true! You have the best 335i I have ever seen!

(Sad face)

WM
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 08:34 AM   #16
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by windymissile View Post
Please tell me this is not true! You have the best 335i I have ever seen!

(Sad face)

WM
All things must end eventually...after 5 years it was time for a change.

Alpina_B3_Lux
      03-13-2014, 08:45 AM   #17
windymissile
Major
Rep

Quote:

Alpina_B3_Lux
Your build thread is still one of the best I have ever had he pleasure to read. It inspired me to choose the 335i over an M3.
Are you going to part it out or are you selling as a whole..?

WM
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 10:39 AM   #18
AlanYoro35i
Senior Troll
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Coming soon-718 Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by zltm089 View Post

you worried about everything kev, even a light bulb haha
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 10:41 AM   #19
AlanYoro35i
Senior Troll
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Coming soon-718 Cayman S

Quote:

Alpina_B3_Lux
looking forward to your next insane build? i smell a new m3/m4 ? i smell alot of potential there lol
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 10:43 AM   #20
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Hi Marcel,

Sorry mate this thread had completely slipped me by!!

I don't think I will make the Ring this year, but next year you just don't know!!

Keep me posted about the car and new car developments won't you!!?

Rgds
Matt
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 11:15 AM   #21
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by windymissile View Post
Your build thread is still one of the best I have ever had he pleasure to read. It inspired me to choose the 335i over an M3.
Are you going to part it out or are you selling as a whole..?

WM
It will be mostly parted out.

Next car won't be a BMW, but I'll stay on this forum nevertheless (though less frequently).

Alpina_B3_Lux