Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Dilemma (and a bit of ignoranace) regarding new wheels

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

11-23-2007, 05:48 AM   #1
amberzombie
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: MG F80 ZCP

Garage List
2007 E90 320i  [0.00]
Dilemma (and a bit of ignoranace) regarding new wheels

hey all

from Australia here and have a 2 month old E90 with M-sport suspension and 17" 194M style rims. they've done about 2000km so far.

i've been specifically eyeing those M3 reps that JLevi's selling quite intently but i probably need some advice from you guys because i'm a total modding noob (just look at my post count and you'll know) especially when it comes to wheels:
  1. When is it a good time to buy the wheels? now while my rims and tires are relatively new or later when my tires are due for replacement?
  2. Should i even consider selling my stock rims or keep them and put them back on my car when i sell it?
  3. according to the BMW website, the 194M comes with offsets of 45 (front) and 40 (rear) - or is it the other way round????. i think the M3 reps are 35 (front) and 40 (rear) - same i'm not sure if i got this the wrong way round!! how does that affect the look of the car? i still cannot get my head around offsets!!!!
  4. and lastly (and probably the most noob-y of questions - do Australian wheels come with same TPMS as the American ones? If so i'll most definitely purchase the wheels from JLevi with the TPMS pre-installed

thanks guys i really appreciate your thoughts on this.
oh and i'd like to add that since i already have the sports suspension dropping the car further will NOT be a factor at all.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2007, 08:15 AM   #2
DrGP
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Sapphire 335i coupe

1) When you buy is your preference. If you wait until the tires wear out you will delay the enjoyment of the new wheels. If you do it now, your wheels will be in the best condition and the tires will have value. I would not hesitate to sell the OEM wheels and tires.

2) Talk to Nick@Jlevi about the offsets. I bought wheels and tires for my E92 that were 44/40 r/f and thought that I might want spacers for the rears. Now that they are on the car, I question that the spacers will actually do that much.

3) As far as the PMS is concerned, I don't know what is standard in Australia, but just take a look at the valve stems. If they are metal, they probably are TPMS, If not you will most likely not need the sensors.

BTW, I just got new rims, tires, and TPMS sensors from JLevi and everything went well and worked out great!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2007, 09:18 AM   #3
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

If you lease the vehicle, and it came with RFT, you must return with RFT. It also needs to have BMW wheels as well, not reps or other. So, if you have RFT on stcok rims, save them to put back on when the lease is up.

If you didn't lease, ignore me.

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2007, 06:14 AM   #4
VGR00
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 430i Gran Coupe

1. I've just gone for 19" now and the ride quality is so much better than the 17" run flats that I'm kicking myself for not getting rid of them sooner.

2. My 17" tyres were only 50% worn. I'll put the 194M's back on when I sell the car.

3. you are confusing offset with tyre profile. 194M offset is 34 front and 37 rear. The 17" tyres on the car have a profile of 45 front and 40 rear. The M3 reps having an offset of 35 front and 40 rear will work well. Have another read of my new set up (on the Australian section) as I've just got rid off the 194M for 19's. I've got a 32 rear offset which brings the wheels 11mm further out towards the rear guards. looks great (IMO)

4. There are two different tyre monitoring systems used by BMW. One uses the cars ABS sensors and the other wireless sensors mounted in the wheels. Mine uses the ABS sensors so I didn't need the TMPS sensors. Our cars are the same however you have the Innovations package so I'm not sure if that makes a difference. If in doubt your dealer can confirm.
Appreciate 0