E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Advice on battery replacement for E90

10-26-2010, 08:15 AM   #1
Tallest
Major General
Rep
Drives: 911

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
Advice on battery replacement for E90

I'll post this here but if it's a wrong forum may be the mods could move it.

I need help with picking out battery replacement for my car. Any advice? Has anyone else here had to replace battery not from dealer on a car older than 4 years old?

I'm not sure which brand to go with, thinking between Varta and Bosch? Any other suggestions?
      10-26-2010, 08:32 AM   #2
cb1111
I ask the questions you're afraid to ask.
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by research View Post
I'll post this here but if it's a wrong forum may be the mods could move it.

I need help with picking out battery replacement for my car. Any advice? Has anyone else here had to replace battery not from dealer on a car older than 4 years old?

I'm not sure which brand to go with, thinking between Varta and Bosch? Any other suggestions?
Either is fine as long as it is the correct size. Don't forget to get the battery registered to your car - that needs a BAVtool or equivalent or a trip to the dealer.

Search the E90 forum for the battery thread.

Here it is. Post #6 has the link to to the original thread.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=445615

Last edited by cb1111; 10-26-2010 at 08:36 AM.. Reason: added link
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2010, 09:47 AM   #3
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1111 View Post
Either is fine as long as it is the correct size. Don't forget to get the battery registered to your car - that needs a BAVtool or equivalent or a trip to the dealer.

Search the E90 forum for the battery thread.

Here it is. Post #6 has the link to to the original thread.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=445615
Show me one example of where a re-registration was not done and the battery did not last at least 3-4 years.

Here in the States, you can go to Walmart and get a replacement battery (with higher CCAs than stock) for around $75. Installation takes about 30 minutes. I did this on two cars so far without any issues whatsoever. Compare that with going to the dealer and spending $300 - $400, for a battery that is not proven to last any longer than the one from Wallymart, then make your choice.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 11:23 AM   #4
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Battery registration is very dependent on what options are in the car and how much current draw is in the system.

I'm having too many "low battery charge" messages after replacing my OEM battery with a brand new Die Hard with the same specs. So the battery registration has to be done in my M3 while too many forum members here don't have to even with Walmart batteries.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 12:14 PM   #5
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Battery registration is very dependent on what options are in the car and how much current draw is in the system.

I'm having too many "low battery charge" messages after replacing my OEM battery with a brand new Die Hard with the same specs. So the battery registration has to be done in my M3 while too many forum members here don't have to even with Walmart batteries.
I did it on an 06 e90 with premium package, no idrive, no heated seats and on an 05 X3 premium package, heated seats, no idrive. No problems with those cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 01:32 PM   #6
sexymexy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 e90 jet black

Batteries do all the same give power to your car. The problem with the battery is the car. If the battery is bad our car will start saving power by not give full air blast from your A/C for example (that happened to me) and if you use some other stuff that uses a lot of power the computer will do the same. So if you don't regist your battery your car will be running fine but some times will act weird because the computer still thinks that you still have a weak battery. So it's up to you. (BMW's are a hand full my friend)
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 02:03 PM   #7
Tallest
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
Im having pretty rough cold starts on my diesel lately so I'm guesing tomorrow Ill check how the batter reading looks like then act accordingly. Dealer wants 250usd for battery and I've no clue about the installation and if that's going to cost me anything near 100 bucks you guys talking about.

I drive little also and may be that's the reason it's discharging quickly. Battery I heard will lose about 12% of its power in a week if car is not driven - hence it's important to have mine replaced - i just wants clear if better to go with OEM one or with something like from Bosch or Varta.

PS_ thanks for the links on the issue CB1111!
      10-26-2010, 04:48 PM   #8
cb1111
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss69 View Post
Show me one example of where a re-registration was not done and the battery did not last at least 3-4 years.

Here in the States, you can go to Walmart and get a replacement battery (with higher CCAs than stock) for around $75. Installation takes about 30 minutes. I did this on two cars so far without any issues whatsoever. Compare that with going to the dealer and spending $300 - $400, for a battery that is not proven to last any longer than the one from Wallymart, then make your choice.
I'm not going to argue with you but it is obvious to anyone with half a brain that an unregistered battery can cause various faults (see the thread.) Since E9x's aren't old enough to require their second battery replacement so nobody can say for sure how the lack of registration affects battery life.

What we do know is that the BMW shop manual requires registration. If you want to cheap out and take your chances then it is your car and just another reason why I'll never buy a used BMW.

You guys spend money on crap mods and cheap out on proper maintenance - go figure.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 05:02 PM   #9
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm not going to argue with you but it is obvious to anyone with half a brain that an unregistered battery can cause various faults (see the thread.) Since E9x's aren't old enough to require their second battery replacement so nobody can say for sure how the lack of registration affects battery life.

What we do know is that the BMW shop manual requires registration. If you want to cheap out and take your chances then it is your car and just another reason why I'll never buy a used BMW.

You guys spend money on crap mods and cheap out on proper maintenance - go figure.
You ARE an "obnoxious old fart"!

Look, I responded to your recommendation since I wanted the OP to be aware that there is a less expensive option, and for him to be able to make his own decision.

You are obviously happy for spending $400 on a $100 battery, and I am happy for spending $75 on a $400 battery. So we are both happy.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 09:36 PM   #10
cb1111
Rep

Quote:
You ARE an "obnoxious old fart"!

Look, I responded to your recommendation since I wanted the OP to be aware that there is a less expensive option, and for him to be able to make his own decision.

You are obviously happy for spending $400 on a $100 battery, and I am happy for spending $75 on a $400 battery. So we are both happy.
That would be me

Just out of curiosity - did you read the two other threads?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 11:23 PM   #11
M_M
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

get the battery changed at walmart and grab a secondhand BT cable to do the reg. you still save some money.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 01:17 AM   #12
Tallest
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
i have to say in US they seem to charge way too much for battery at the dealership. here it's one thing that's unusually cheaper. normally things are more expensive in europe.
      10-27-2010, 08:32 AM   #13
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That would be me

Just out of curiosity - did you read the two other threads?
I just did. It is not clear though whether auger330's car's error codes registered before or after the battery swap. I'll let him respond.

This is the first time I've heard about potential issues with non-registered batteries. I guess the jury is still out though.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 12:24 PM   #14
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I just did. It is not clear though whether auger330's car's error codes registered before or after the battery swap. I'll let him respond.

This is the first time I've heard about potential issues with non-registered batteries. I guess the jury is still out though.
So the OP in the other thread replied. He confirmed that the "errors" were actually various hidden codes caused by low voltage. He could not confirm whether the codes were registered before or after the battery swap. He thinks the registration process itself somehow solved the problem and erased the errors, and since the errors (codes) are gone, the car is now trouble free. But I think BMW just cleared the codes that were registered before the swap. After all, the codes were related to "low voltage"... now I wonder what would cause a low voltage situation..perhaps a dying OEM battery? Hmmmm.

Last edited by kaigoss69; 10-27-2010 at 01:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 02:51 PM   #15
brocklanders
Major
Rep
Drives: the uno, mineral white

Garage List
06 325  [0.00]
i have had two modern used bmw's and have had to replace batteries in both. first time i went to autozone like any normal person would, the battery i received looked the same but that was the only thing in common. i couldnt leave the car sit for more then one day or it wouldnt start. i ended up at the dealer and bought an oem battery and installed it myself. that was a 2000 528, now with my e90 i had to have the dealer install it because of that crazy contraption on the top of the battery not only the registering process. now you can take my advise or not but if you buy an aftermarket battery you very well may find yourself at the dealer anyway so why even bother. if you wanted to save money on maintenance there are plenty of auto makers out there with much lower predicted maintenance costs.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 04:16 PM   #16
DieselDiner
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

Somewhat off topic: in the case of those who have cars that sit for days at a time is it common practice to use some sort of battery tender to keep the battery fully charged <and thus avoid the issue of a discharged battery>?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 07:29 PM   #17
brocklanders
Major
Rep

Garage List
06 325  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDiner View Post
Somewhat off topic: in the case of those who have cars that sit for days at a time is it common practice to use some sort of battery tender to keep the battery fully charged <and thus avoid the issue of a discharged battery>?
you are correct but i am talking about the fact that if i didnt happen to go anywhere one day the next the battery would be dead. after i got an oem battery i didnt have that problem.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 08:02 PM   #18
BG351
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 325i 08 Z4

Battery Replacement

replaced my battery last weekend with Everstart Maxx at WalMart; $77 +tax. I got a warning light last winter and the air cond blower was turning off intermittantly, radio would shut itself off after less than a minute after car shut off, then I got low batt warning. I was hesitant at first, but once I got into it it wasn't too bad. Getting the Maxx series 49 battery was a hook-slide into the compartment but once in was an easy connection. (FYI I bought the bentley manual on amazon for 88 bucks, well worth it). Everything started up fine, no weird warning lights or anything.

Why I didn't go to the dealer ? They quoted me between $430 - $530 + tax, depending on the battery I had. When I asked what registration cost (alone) they said 2 1/2 hours, same as full replacement. (+ they would've charged me $3.98 to top off my washer fluid, something they'd done at least once). Suffice it to say that dealer won't be getting my business any longer. I haven't registered yet but still plan on it but so far nothing abnormal. I figured if I french-fried the electrics i'd have to junk the 325 and upgrade to the twin turbo
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 09:45 PM   #19
cb1111
Rep

Quote:
So the OP in the other thread replied. He confirmed that the "errors" were actually various hidden codes caused by low voltage. He could not confirm whether the codes were registered before or after the battery swap. He thinks the registration process itself somehow solved the problem and erased the errors, and since the errors (codes) are gone, the car is now trouble free. But I think BMW just cleared the codes that were registered before the swap. After all, the codes were related to "low voltage"... now I wonder what would cause a low voltage situation..perhaps a dying OEM battery? Hmmmm.
I guess there are people who will look at evidence and still try to argue a different point just to be right.

There is plenty of information in these (now three) threads for people to make up their own minds.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 10:27 PM   #20
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I guess there are people who will look at evidence and still try to argue a different point just to be right.

There is plenty of information in these (now three) threads for people to make up their own minds.
There is no evidence in the thread you referenced, one way or another. Believe it or not, I am now on the fence about this, so I am looking for hard evidence on both sides. So far, I have Technic stating problems with his non-registered battery, but he's got a loaded M3, which seems to be more susceptible to voltage issues, and another guy with an alleged adaptive head light error, and the guy from the thread you referenced, but the last two are not proven to have their problems linked to an unregistered battery. On the other side, I have counted at least 10 different cases where no issues were reported with unregistered batteries.

Like I said, the jury is still out.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 11:09 PM   #21
brocklanders
Major
Rep

Garage List
06 325  [0.00]
do us all a favor save yourself a hundred bucks and learn for yourself then you can come back and say half of us were wrong, which ever half it turns out to be.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 05:03 AM   #22
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocklanders View Post
do us all a favor save yourself a hundred bucks and learn for yourself then you can come back and say half of us were wrong, which ever half it turns out to be.
I already have, twice! (But I didn't save a hundred bucks, I saved at least 300, twice!)
Appreciate 0