E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Smashed iphone 4

07-18-2011, 09:25 AM   #1
sheps
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Smashed iphone 4

As per the title - getting out the car this afternoon the phone slipped from my pocket and hit the deck - not from a great height but the exact angle that has resulted in front AND rear glass shattering.

There are plenty of places on line offering to take my hard earned in exchange for repairing it (I may even change to white, whilst I'm at it) but I wanted to know if anyone else had had thiers done, and if so who did they use and would they recommend them.

Thanks,

Si

Replaced by 6.2 litres of AMG powered C class.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 10:05 AM   #2
E92BSM10
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: E92 320D M-Sport Highline

the rear is very easy to change but the front requires some skill
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 10:40 AM   #3
pjs
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i8

Had mine (front screen) replaced a couple of weeks ago after dropping it on the drive, £65 whilst you wait.

http://www.fixmyiphone.co.uk

I used the while you wait service in Manchester - brilliant service, like new.

Have read good reviews of them too.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 11:02 AM   #4
buckethead
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 320d msport

if the phone is under warranty and anyone but apple open's the phone the warranty is void even if it's out of warranty once the phone has been opened by someone else apple will have nothing else to do with your phone.

Apple will replace a phone out of warranty as long as it's in one piece for about 180 pounds with a refurb one

i think the rear screen is 25 pounds and the front 80 pounds from the apple store fitted

but with apple you never know tell them a story about you sat down with it in you pocket if could be done for free

down load the apple store app to make an appointment

Last edited by buckethead; 07-18-2011 at 12:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 11:31 AM   #5
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

When I was in the apple store last week a young girl had her phone replaced free of charge due to a cracked screen.

She was warned this was the second and last time they would replace it though.

The refurbished phones look as good as new and setting them up is really easy.

Just sync your phone with iTunes and when you get the new one plug it in and all settings, music, texts etc come back.

They also wipe your old phone in shop if you are worried about that.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 12:29 PM   #6
ihpj
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330d M Sport

The back on an iPhone 4 is easy to replace. Just pop down to your local Apple Store and they will most probably replace it FOC.

They have a very flexible FOC repair policy - don't abuse it though

With such great Customer Service from Apple, why would you want to let some unknown third party 'fix it' with non-approved parts? Remember also, if you have a non-authorised repair completed, you risk the device falling out of Apple support entirely.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 12:32 PM   #7
ihpj
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerr View Post
The refurbished phones look as good as new and setting them up is really easy.
The replacement devices are not refurbished products (which implies they were previously owned, fixed and put back into circulation). They are in fact 're-manufactured' devices where each and every external component has been replaced with brand new (this includes battery); but there may be an internal component that was previously tested in factory - they therefore cannot legally be deemed to be 'brand new'.

On an iPhone 4, it is not possible to replace a smashed front screen (as you can on an iPhone 3G). Smashed front screen = full unit replacement. If they deem it outside of warranty coverage then they charge a flat £139 (IIRC). As an aside, Apple Stores can now complete a camera repair on iPhone 4 too
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 12:45 PM   #8
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla p85d

Mrs had hers done at the apple store for a reasonable price. Seems like half the price at the ones suggested here so well worth a look.

I think i would stick to black though. It looks much classier.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 04:14 PM   #9
ed335d
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

It can depend on whether the screen or the LCD underneath is cracked. I've replaced Mandy's iPhone 3 screen twice due to it being dropped.

You can get a screen from Amazon for about £15 and there should be instructional vids on YouTube.
      07-19-2011, 02:18 AM   #10
Bomber
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 2015 X5 40D M Sport

Garage List
I've replaced quite a few cracked screens for people, the complete front screen can be bought for less than £40 of ebay, it takes on average about 20-30mins to replace
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 03:33 PM   #11
DavS1
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Emfree

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
If I walked into apple and asked for a white rear glass to replace my black one, would they do it and how much? it's not broken I jus fancy a white one
      07-19-2011, 07:51 PM   #12
Moh
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 120d M Sport

Forget eBay an everything else. I've had the sme thing happen to me.
Book yourself in for a genius appointment at your apple shop and kindly explain that you've had this happen and you are absolutely gutted. Kindly hint that you purchase all your tech needs from apple for your business and that you would be really grateful if just this once,they would be kind to replace free of charge. Now,depending on the sympathy of the advisor,they may say a charge of 130 pounds applies. Kindly refuse and leave..

Within 48 hrs you'll receive a feedback form from apple in regards to how you felt the appointment went. Express your displeasure and state you won't be spending a penny more given how you were treated. End result?phone replaced
Appreciate 0