E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > MSport Suspension on the Facelift Models

10-13-2012, 07:20 AM   #1
strongdeo
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d MSPORT

MSport Suspension on the Facelift Models

Hi everybody:

I briefly owned an early 2008 model MSport saloon and I found the ride quality in the winter on RFTs was terrible.

After three years in an E60 five series I am now looking for a facelift saloon. Did BMW modify suspension settings on the later cars to make the ride more comfortable? The dealers, as usual, don't have a clue. As I get older I find that Britain's potholes are putting more pressure on my spine and I am dithering whether I should for an SE. If you believe the magazines they all say go for an SE or avoid the bigger wheels on the MSPORT cars.

Thanks for listening.
      10-13-2012, 07:46 AM   #2
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Sorry I don't know the answer to your question, though I've never heard anyone suggest there was a major change to the suspension on LCI cars.

Several things to think about to improve ride quality though:
  • Don't go above 18" wheel diameter
  • Replace the runflat tyres with non-runflat
  • Consider a good quality upgrade to the suspension e.g. Koni FSDs or (if you can afford it) Ohlins Road & Track.
Just my five penn'oth.
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 08:19 AM   #3
chriz1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320d?

Thumbs down

I own an e90 lci with 18inch wheels and rft with m sport suspension and I have to say I don't find the ride harsh or hard as everyone complains about,it's firm yes but by no means harsh, it's what I'd expect from a sport model,have owned Evo's and focus rs amongst other hot hatches and find the ride in this an excellent compromise
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 09:01 AM   #4
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriz1 View Post
find the ride in this an excellent compromise
If, like the OP (and me) you had back pain issues, you may not feel the same way.
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 09:17 AM   #5
fulcrum
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92,F22, F36, G01

I have a LCI E92 M sport.

I have 19 inch wheels, RFTs and a bad back. Other than avoiding pot holes it is fine. Especially compared to an Audi A3 s line I had before - now that was harsh.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 09:53 AM   #6
Dave_3
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: G22 M440D

Garage List
Yes, the LCI had modified spring and damper settings. It was commented on in the reviews of the time. Trying to improve secondary ride quality.

Driven back to back you will notice the difference. Many here have had direct experience of pre-lci and lci.

I have also noticed that the RFTs themselves have improved. I run Michelin PS2 ZP tyres now and they are night and day compared to the original Bridgestones. MUCH more comfortable, and have way more grip in the wet/cold.

So an LCI with new RFTs is a different experience. Best way for you to tell, test drive and see what you think.

Your avatar suggests you have a F30 330D ....

D.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 11:24 AM   #7
strongdeo
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d MSPORT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_3 View Post
Yes, the LCI had modified spring and damper settings. It was commented on in the reviews of the time. Trying to improve secondary ride quality.

Driven back to back you will notice the difference. Many here have had direct experience of pre-lci and lci.

I have also noticed that the RFTs themselves have improved. I run Michelin PS2 ZP tyres now and they are night and day compared to the original Bridgestones. MUCH more comfortable, and have way more grip in the wet/cold.

So an LCI with new RFTs is a different experience. Best way for you to tell, test drive and see what you think.

Your avatar suggests you have a F30 330D ....

D.
Hello there, I do have an F30 330d and it's fantastic but I am in the process of releasing some cash...

But thanks for the comments, so there were indeed changes to the damper settings. Very interesting. I suppose in addition you need to try slightly smaller wheels.
      10-13-2012, 02:53 PM   #8
AlwynMike
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC.

My experience is pre-LCi 530d SE to LCi 335d Sport.
5er is softer and more prone to body roll.
3 is stiffer, but not harsh and not really hard.
The 3 is really quite comparable to the 5.
I prefer the 3 to the 5 on RFT's for any road surface.
I had a short 10 mile ride in a 520 Sport LCi and considered it harder and harsher over urban roads than my 335.

Times have changed!!

Mike
Appreciate 0