E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > New HPF N54 Intake Manifold Pics for the 135i/335i/535i

03-29-2013, 01:01 AM   #89
805beemer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedge1967 View Post
Jeff has a good point, but we also need to realize that until we get over 800 whp we probably don't need secondary injectors. We first need to fix the valve float issues that kicks in around 700 whp. So again, kinda pointless to put the cart before the HP. Nice option though and it will be a nice looking piece once we get all the other issues with making big power worked out.
That's the first Ive heard of this? Is that something shiv has found to be a problem on his car? I don't know anyone else claiming to make that much hp, so I can only assume its him. So what is the remedy? New springs for the head?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 08:39 AM   #90
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e92 AT Sport Montego Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 805beemer View Post
That's the first Ive heard of this? Is that something shiv has found to be a problem on his car? I don't know anyone else claiming to make that much hp, so I can only assume its him. So what is the remedy? New springs for the head?
We won't know until until they get things put back together and tested. I don't have a lot of details regarding this as I heard about this from someone else in the know. Sounds like a spring upgrade and porting.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 11:23 AM   #91
805beemer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
We won't know until until they get things put back together and tested. I don't have a lot of details regarding this as I heard about this from someone else in the know. Sounds like a spring upgrade and porting.
Cool, thanks for the 411!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 11:50 AM   #92
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickStroke6.0 View Post
I won't be upgrading turbos for a little bit, as mine are in perfect condition at the moment. However, this would keep the intake valves clean, correct? If so, sign me up. I'll eventually upgrade turbos, so it would be nice to already have this installed.
That's a large chunk of change just to keep the intake valves clean though. A valve cleaning every 40,000 miles would suffice. Those can be had for under $400 nowadays.

Quote:
Jeff has a good point, but we also need to realize that until we get over 800 whp we probably don't need secondary injectors. We first need to fix the valve float issues that kicks in around 700 whp. So again, kinda pointless to put the cart before the HP. Nice option though and it will be a nice looking piece once we get all the other issues with making big power worked out.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 12:02 PM   #93
Mautofied17
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Competition xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
That's a large chunk of change just to keep the intake valves clean though. A valve cleaning every 40,000 miles would suffice. Those can be had for under $400 nowadays.
But I would be guaranteed that the engine would be operating at optimal performance. The way these engines are designed, these valves are essentially "dirty" (not completely clean) after a few thousand miles, possibly reducing engine performance. I'd love to have the piece of mind that everything is always 100% clean in there, and know that I will have the fueling capabilities when I finally have enough air to match it.

BTW, I'll be getting in touch with you early next week, most likely. Gotta order a BMS 2.2 gallon integrated meth setup.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 09:30 PM   #94
JMARS
Not Baned
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 Single-T

I spoke Ferrea and they have a n54 head that they are working their magic on now ;-)
Soon people soon the monster will be awake!!! :-)

Last edited by JMARS; 03-31-2013 at 09:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 09:38 PM   #95
BoostAddict
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM 335i

Valve float would have more to do with running high boost than hp. Upgraded valve springs will take care of that.

Anyways, I know a car that would benefit from this manifold when it comes out.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 09:49 PM   #96
jayzF30
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 335i, '09 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMARS View Post
I spoke Ferrera and they have a n54 head that they are working their magic on now ;-)
Who is Ferrera? Never heard of this cylinder head manufacturer. Looking forward to more top end builds on this platform.
      03-31-2013, 09:54 PM   #97
JMARS
Not Baned
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 Single-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by *********** View Post
Valve float would have more to do with running high boost than hp. Upgraded valve springs will take care of that.

Anyways, I know a car that would benefit from this manifold when it comes out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazze90 View Post
Who is Ferrera? Never heard of this cylinder head manufacturer. Looking forward to more top end builds on this platform.
http://www.ferrea.com/
      03-31-2013, 09:55 PM   #98
Lifted07Duramax
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW red 335i coupe

curious to see what kind of gains these give out with only a stock turbo and say a tuner
      03-31-2013, 09:59 PM   #99
jayzF30
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 335i, '09 M3

Quote:
Oh Ferrea, not Ferrera! My buddy has their valves on his GTR. Very high quality. PTF has a built head on their car. I wonder who they used for their build? Anyone know? Did they change intake and exhaust valves as well?
      04-01-2013, 06:36 AM   #100
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
valve float around 700whp?

so an issue that no one has discovered yet, and no one knows about? :P

regardless, anyone looking to make north of 700whp should be smart enough to look into headwork, it's not economical for RB/stage 2 level turbo builds, but for big singles/twins, the HP/$ is a LOT better.. not to mention the added reliability, just in case there was a valve float problem (which would more likely happen if you tried revving over 7000-7500+ (which also sadly isn't possible/feasible right now due to fuelling) rpm lol.

Quote:
I spoke Ferrea and they have a n54 head that they are working their magic on now ;-)
really? got a link/email quote about this?

dzenno had some custom valves made up about 6mths ago, and they don't actually build heads

anyone that wants some ferrea valves just has to send an OE sample and get some! ahah

i wonder if HPF and proefi are in together with this, we all know proefi is going to come with the ability to run a PI intake manifold setup, and if HPF was already 90% of the way there....

Quote:
if there's a head at ferrea, it's likely some oversized valves too, no point going to them just for a port job and some springs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Chris View Post
They will be $1295 for wrinkle black and $1395 for polished.

It's taking so long because the company making the tooling for us has had to adjust our model a few times. Each time they make an adjustment we have to confirm fitment in house. The adjustments are done to the tool so that the aluminum pour and thickness will be perfect and so the part can be machined the way we want it afterwards. There is a lot of machining done to this piece and it will be hot, but we are definitely taking our time with this one so it will be perfect. I think the pricing is right and these will be flying out the door. The cool thing is you can simply bolt it up and run it without making any other changes. Then when you get a secondary set of injectors you simply unscrew the injector hole plugs and install the injectors. This will be perfect for those that want to simply allow the factory computer and direct injection to control the car most of the time and have the secondary set of injectors come on when the fuel demands exceed the direct injection capabilities similar to the Underground Racing Lambos. It can also be used with a full standalone for those that want to not use the direct injection at all.

Chris.
ooh that's a GREAT sounding price (though i'd assume +$1k or more for the rail/injectors? haha

i'm definitely going to be in for this if it all turns out well, just have to wait for someone to make something to control the injectors... or proefi to one day release their standalone :P

Last edited by flinchy; 04-01-2013 at 06:41 AM..
Appreciate 0