E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > audio upgrade 2008 335 L7

09-05-2013, 11:10 AM   #1
masterjosh
Rep
Drives: 2008 bmw 335 xi

audio upgrade 2008 335 L7

So I am new to the forums and have been reading countless threads between here and other places. I currently have a jbl ms-8 that im looking to install possibly along with a 1000w kenwood amp I have from my older car.

I currently have a harness from technic on the way along with a multi amp kit from knukoncepts. Information is scattered so from what I have read I should be good to go to install the ms-8 to power the existing system and use my kenwood to power the under seats.

Im looking for any additional guidance on the actual install as ive read through the entire technic l7 harness thread and it seems I will need to modify the harness? Also will the rem on wire from the harness still be usable for the ms-8? Also what wires will need to be splice with the ms-8 harness? I dont need to be spoon fed this info, if im not looking in the right spots please point me there.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 08:15 AM   #2
masterjosh
Rep

anyone?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 10:47 AM   #3
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ms-8+processor
      09-15-2013, 11:45 AM   #4
masterjosh
Rep

okay so upon further reading of a few more threads specific to the application im using..it seems i will be taking my technic harness and cutting it in half minus the power and ground..I connect the FL FR RL RR to the speaker level inputs of the ms8 to channels 1-4 (using the wiring diagram for the l7 system) do i also need to connect the sub outputs of the oem amp to the inputs of the ms8? I'm assuming that they need to be connected to the input channels 7 & 8 as per the ms-8 manual...

On the output side of the ms8 i will be using the other side of the technic harness to connect to the oem wiring in the car, making all connections on the technic harness itself to avoid cutting the oem wiring..

so other than that my few other questions would be, that the harness that technic sent me has some of the wires label with FR/FL ect do these correspond with the actual wires or should i just disregard them?

also where is there a good spot in the trunk to tap into for a remote turn on for the ms-8?
just trying to make sure i got the right handle on this will be doing the install on tuesday...Thanks to all those that have responded to my pms and kaigoss and technic for all of the their support to everyone on the forum..most of what i have learned has been from these guys..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 12:00 PM   #5
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Do you have PDC? If yes you can hook up the inputs like you have planned, with the OEM sub signal going to inputs 7 and 8. I think the processor will sum the front and rear signals, but I'm not 100% sure. If you don't have PDC just use the fronts as input to the ms-8 on channels 1 and 2 plus the sub on 7 and 8.
      09-15-2013, 12:01 PM   #6
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Also, check my ms-8 thread for further info, including remote signal options.
      09-21-2013, 08:30 AM   #7
masterjosh
Rep

does anyone have a picture of the amp connector and which pins are what? i have the correct pins from another post but when i cut the technic harness in half im getting confused with the way its pluging into the amp and the actual oem harness.. trying to make sure im using the correct wires...

the labels on the technic harness wires dont match up do they?? meaning the fr fl ect that are labeled on some of the wires? i didnt have enough time to finish the whole install the other day will be going back at it tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2013, 02:17 PM   #8
bmw325i
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterjosh View Post
okay so upon further reading of a few more threads specific to the application im using..it seems i will be taking my technic harness and cutting it in half minus the power and ground..I connect the FL FR RL RR to the speaker level inputs of the ms8 to channels 1-4 (using the wiring diagram for the l7 system) do i also need to connect the sub outputs of the oem amp to the inputs of the ms8? I'm assuming that they need to be connected to the input channels 7 & 8 as per the ms-8 manual...

On the output side of the ms8 i will be using the other side of the technic harness to connect to the oem wiring in the car, making all connections on the technic harness itself to avoid cutting the oem wiring..

so other than that my few other questions would be, that the harness that technic sent me has some of the wires label with FR/FL ect do these correspond with the actual wires or should i just disregard them?

also where is there a good spot in the trunk to tap into for a remote turn on for the ms-8?
just trying to make sure i got the right handle on this will be doing the install on tuesday...Thanks to all those that have responded to my pms and kaigoss and technic for all of the their support to everyone on the forum..most of what i have learned has been from these guys..
That is pretty much what you have to do. You might want to let technic know what you are doing. He might make an ms8 harness for logic 7, but I am not sure.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2013, 08:06 AM   #9
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

1000W for the stock underseats??? you better turn that gain all the way down, then plan on starting with bass frequencies on your EQ also turned down.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 02:03 PM   #10
masterjosh
Rep

yea its only like 220 or 280 rms so it should be okay...i plan on running the system stock and if the underseats blow i will prob replace with sws-8.

so im still struggling with the remote turn on, the harness i got from technic does not have the loc so that was out of the question. i have seen some people use the power wire in the amp harness as they are stating it goes off of the courtesy circut and shuts off after 5 or so minutes of locking the door and turns on with unlocking car/opening door..\

anyone else have any input on using this wire as a remote turn on? i was really trying to stay in the trunk and didnt want to have to go to the center console or radio..also i dont have sat radio so the fan wasnt an option.
Appreciate 0