E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Squeaky brakes theory... humidity?

05-17-2015, 01:18 PM   #1
smarean
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i

Squeaky brakes theory... humidity?

I have an E92 2009 335i, and I too have the squeaky brakes problem that so many threads have described here. One person said "sounds like dump truck", which is exactly right.

I know my brakes don't need to be replaced. Just got brand new stop tech slotted rotors and hawk sport pads a few months ago.

It also doesn't squeak consistently, only sometimes.

It almost always squeaks at slow speeds after a cold start... but not every time. And then after I drive a while, it goes away, even at slow speeds.

It also squeaks after I wash my car. Which leads me to wonder... is it caused by humidity? BTW, I live near Chicago, and it's very humid here, especially now in the spring.

Thoughts?...
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2015, 01:43 PM   #2
2010 M Sport
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2010 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarean View Post
I have an E92 2009 335i, and I too have the squeaky brakes problem that so many threads have described here. One person said "sounds like dump truck", which is exactly right.

I know my brakes don't need to be replaced. Just got brand new stop tech slotted rotors and hawk sport pads a few months ago.

It also doesn't squeak consistently, only sometimes.

It almost always squeaks at slow speeds after a cold start... but not every time. And then after I drive a while, it goes away, even at slow speeds.

It also squeaks after I wash my car. Which leads me to wonder... is it caused by humidity? BTW, I live near Chicago, and it's very humid here, especially now in the spring.

Thoughts?...
Did you use anti-squeal when you installed the brakes?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2015, 06:32 PM   #3
Zernaff
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Maybe it's rust on rotors? Like, the hub part that the brake pad doesn't touch
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 02:58 PM   #4
Some Asian Guy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5

I think that it's a combination of the pad material and lateral runout on the rotor. When the rotors turn, it runs out just enough to brush against the pad to make the squeaking noise. I had this noise happen with the stock pads and rotor. I replaced the rear brakes and went with the Akebono ceramic pads and AC Delco rotors and I have been squeak free for 10k miles now.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 10:40 PM   #5
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

Remove the pads, cover the back of the pads with a generous amount of the CRC pink goop, let it dry for half a day, reinstall the pads, enjoy silence.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 11:01 PM   #6
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeni
Remove the pads, cover the back of the pads with a generous amount of the CRC pink goop, let it dry for half a day, reinstall the pads, enjoy silence.
Don't forget to lube the ears of pads too and clean the grooves of the caliper really well!
Appreciate 0