E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > E90 AWD dtc

01-25-2013, 05:00 PM   #1
Bferro27
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi e90

E90 AWD dtc

Any one ok know if its better to use dtc for snow driving
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 06:52 PM   #2
Jeffman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi E90

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bferro27 View Post
Any one ok know if its better to use dtc for snow driving
It depends. Leave it on for normal safe driving. If you get stuck in deep snow and need to "rock" the car out -- allowing the wheels to slip -- then turn it off. Press for three seconds to disable. Press again to enable.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 07:09 PM   #3
BmerMeUp
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cinderella: 2008 E91 328xi

"Better" is a relative term - "better" than what?
DSC controls "better" than DTC, but
DTC drifts "better" than DSC... which can be fun under the right conditions.

I routinely use DTC instead of DSC on slippery roads where I need to merge into moving traffic from a standing start (like from a side street into a busy street). With DSC, I will accelerate, but any slippage and I might come to a nearly complete jerking stop until it figures everything out. With DTC, I can safely "drift" it into traffic (I use the term rather generously) without the dangerous hesitation a slip-correction can cause.

At all other times I drive with DSC ON as it is the safest option to correct unexpected screwups.

You can also turn the system off completely if you have the space to safely enjoy being a complete goof in your car.

I would recommend you find a large empty snow-covered parking lot with no obstacles and try it out for yourself doing aggressive figure-8's to see what the 3 settings feel like. Good clean fun.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 01:11 AM   #4
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmerMeUp View Post
"Better" is a relative term - "better" than what?
DSC controls "better" than DTC, but
DTC drifts "better" than DSC... which can be fun under the right conditions.

I routinely use DTC instead of DSC on slippery roads where I need to merge into moving traffic from a standing start (like from a side street into a busy street). With DSC, I will accelerate, but any slippage and I might come to a nearly complete jerking stop until it figures everything out. With DTC, I can safely "drift" it into traffic (I use the term rather generously) without the dangerous hesitation a slip-correction can cause.

At all other times I drive with DSC ON as it is the safest option to correct unexpected screwups.

You can also turn the system off completely if you have the space to safely enjoy being a complete goof in your car.

I would recommend you find a large empty snow-covered parking lot with no obstacles and try it out for yourself doing aggressive figure-8's to see what the 3 settings feel like. Good clean fun.
+1. I got to have some good clean fun tonight, video should follow tomorrow after I have time to edit it
More Pictures: Build Thread /// 683AWHP/675AWTQ
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 02:29 AM   #5
SOL403
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi

^Hahahah Awyeahhhh

Mtec AE - Blacklines - ACS style front lip/roof spoiler/pedals - CF grill/trunklip/licenseplate frame/badges/diffuser - 19" VMR V701 - Michelin PS2 - Res delete - Remus Powersound Quadexhaust - Simota V2 intake - Cyba airscoops - KW V1 coilovers - BMS PBX - Stoptech brake pads/rotors - Mtech rear - Matte Silver Vinyl Wrapped
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 11:26 AM   #6
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Video is up. I'll probably throw it up in a thread with pics in the photo section and maybe do another thread in the xi section but for now i'll just post it here:

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 12:05 PM   #7
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

Maybe just me but I nearly always use DTC on snow/ice. It allows a little bit of wheel spin & drifting and does not cut throttle. Where I live you'd almost always be cutting power with full DSC which is annoying. The only time I'll run with full DSC in winter conditions is when I want to use cruise control.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 01:07 PM   #8
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsalida View Post
Maybe just me but I nearly always use DTC on snow/ice. It allows a little bit of wheel spin & drifting and does not cut throttle. Where I live you'd almost always be cutting power with full DSC which is annoying. The only time I'll run with full DSC in winter conditions is when I want to use cruise control.
+1. I pretty much do put DTC on everytime I drive the car otherwise I can't floor it in 1st if need be. If it's snowing and I find an empty lot or i'm trying to do a 0-60 pull then i do full traction control off
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 05:50 PM   #9
BmerMeUp
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cinderella: 2008 E91 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmitty95 View Post
Video is up. I'll probably throw it up in a thread with pics in the photo section and maybe do another thread in the xi section but for now i'll just post it here:
Looks like fun!
Haayyy-EEEEE!

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 08:26 PM   #10
Bferro27
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi e90

[QUOTE=psmitty95]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsalida View Post
What kinda bov are you using sounds good
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 10:23 PM   #11
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bferro27 View Post

What kinda bov are you using sounds good
It's a tial bov