E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Any DECENT and AFFORDABLE detainers in London?

10-23-2012, 03:35 AM   #1
Josh1a1h
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AzuriteBlack 335i E92

Any DECENT and AFFORDABLE detainers in London?

As title mentions...

After seeing one guy charge £100 for a 2 day detail, I was shocked at those prices. I would happily pay someone to do that for me in a heart beat and continue to use them n a frequent basis!!!!

I want to protect my car for the winter... Anyone know of anyone in south England?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 03:42 AM   #2
Mart1000
Capt Slow
Rep
Drives: Leon FR Supercopa

I'm a decent detainer in London. I've detained quite a few people this year... Not for private hire though...
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 03:43 AM   #3
Mart1000
Capt Slow
Rep
Drives: Leon FR Supercopa

Ah...detailers! Lol

I know of someone that was going to do my car for me, in the Colchester area. That any good to you?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 03:47 AM   #4
The_Bear_Yid
BM Noob
England
Rep
Drives: E92 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart1000 View Post
I'm a decent detainer in London. I've detained quite a few people this year... Not for private hire though...
Ha ha ha.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 04:27 AM   #5
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

Hi mate.

Contact "over the rainbow detailing center" in park royal. The owner is a friend of 15 years and really really knows his stuff.

A google for them (they don't have a website yet) shows many many positive reviews on enthusiast forums:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ov...ient=firefox-a

Official facebook group here:

http://www.facebook.com/groups/19538...ref=ts&fref=ts
      10-23-2012, 05:33 AM   #6
confused.com
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGA View Post
Hi mate.

Contact "over the rainbow detailing center" in park royal. The owner is a friend of 15 years and really really knows his stuff.

A google for them (they don't have a website yet) shows many many positive reviews on enthusiast forums:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ov...ient=firefox-a

Official facebook group here:

http://www.facebook.com/groups/19538...ref=ts&fref=ts
These guys are fairly local to me, so i've been a number of times to get my cars washed here. They appear to have a nice setup, indoor washing, all the tools, a purpose built detailing booth and always a queue of flash motors waiting to be washed.

But would i get my car detailed here? Not a chance!

Its pretty much like any other wash and shine place, they make a half arsed attempt at 'properly' washing the car - so they snow foam your car pre wash if they manage to get the lance working, normally its just a shower of soap, but they only leave it on for ten seconds so it makes no odds. The workers are always having a moan about whos going to buy/taking lunch so its highly likely the person washing your car will change mid wash, all whilst the soap drys and panels are forgotten.

If you have a really flash car, new m5? GTR? you get a special attention, the workers will buzz round your car like bees, continously wiping the same panel over and over, the tyre fitters from next door will join in too, all whilst the rest of us wait - with cars drying or just waiting for to get in and out.

They use proper towels to dry your car which is good, but i wonder how often these are washed, my car always looks streaky and you can see all the wiping/water marks all over it when done - the car is black.

They use a proper wheel scrubbing toilet brush looking device to do the alloys too, all well and good but the lack of enthusiasm means the wheels are always left dirty!! I don't believe they use any acids on the wheels either, but either way, dirty wheels are not acceptable.

There are always a number of cars which are under a flimsy plastic sheet, within a meter or so of the washing - assume these are cars in for detailing, and are part done, or the in the process - the plastic sheet always half off, kept on with random objects placed on the car.

The owner is never there, i've asked a few times as i wanted to see if a few light scratches could be buffed out.

I would suggest you visit and check out the outfit before you commit here. The guys washing are all very polite and seem like good lads, but this place is lost between your very average £5 for a wash and professional detailers.

My money would be with a proper detailer, someone like gleam machine - you pay, and get your moneys worth.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 05:52 AM   #7
Josh1a1h
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Yup you are right... I had my car washed once by these guys in PArk Royal.

ABSOLUTE RUBBISH! Ad they are all bastards! My car had heavy marks and scratches after they washed my car. They used one or maybe 2 attempts to clean the MIT and went from down to up ruining my car.

Absolute DICKS

I saw one car in there and they do not take any care when working on others property.

Sorry Mega, I am sure the owner knows his stuff, but his employees do not share his experience or care.

I will look for others in the area
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 07:03 AM   #8
Guvernator
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i SE Cabriolet

A PROPER detail can cost anything from £300 up as it's a very painstaking, thorough and labor intensive process which can take a couple of days to finish. Any detailer worth there salt will use products which cost about £100 quid during the process anyway so I'd be very dubious about getting a detail for £100.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 07:29 AM   #9
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep

The detailing is done by the owner, not the guys in the car wash. In a custom built detailing bay using the best products in the price point.

However, I use the carwash weekly. I've never had a bad experience getting my car washed. If they do something you don't like just tell them. If they miss something just tell them.

You tell me where else you can get an hour long two bucket method wash for £10! You seem only to be upset that you are getting say £40 value for your £10 and not more like £200 value.

*shrugs*
      10-23-2012, 07:30 AM   #10
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep

Also, of course they don't use acids on the wheels! Or would you rather they did ?
      10-23-2012, 08:04 AM   #11
confused.com
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
The detailing is done by the owner, not the guys in the car wash. In a custom built detailing bay using the best products in the price point.

However, I use the carwash weekly. I've never had a bad experience getting my car washed. If they do something you don't like just tell them. If they miss something just tell them.

You tell me where else you can get an hour long two bucket method wash for £10! You seem only to be upset that you are getting say £40 value for your £10 and not more like £200 value.

*shrugs*
An hour long? Of waiting around, yes...of car washing? no! 15 minutes at best.

I'm not upset in the slightest as you suggest, i pay my £5 and i just about get my moneys worth - i'm not sure where you got your analogy from. I was merely making others aware of my experience of using their services.

As for the acid thing, i agree it doesn't read that well, but i was pointing that out as being a good thing.

Like i said, they 'appear' to have a good setup, but in reality you can go to the hand wash at the local petrol station and get a better job done.

Although i've never met the owner and never seen his work, i would reiterate i'd never have my car detailed there, or washed again for that matter. If he has no pride in ensuring his employees are delivering a quality service, then i'd have little confidence in his ability do so.

I appreciate he's your mate and 'you' receive a quality service, but 2 posters so far can't be wrong.

Anyway, back on topic...

Edit : OP, if you are simply after a winter protection, check out http://www.gleammachine.net/index.htm - starting from £120 and based in Essex. Plenty of pictures of his work on the site and on detailing world.

Last edited by confused.com; 10-23-2012 at 08:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 09:16 AM   #12
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep

"Like i said, they 'appear' to have a good setup, but in reality you can go to the hand wash at the local petrol station and get a better job done. "

That is absolute bollocks. Does your local carwash offer the following?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTR facebook
Our basic wash includes:

Hot snowfoam
Hot rinse down
Two bucket method with grit guards and separate wash mitts
Top quality shampoo
Microfibre drying
Windows
Door shuts
Non shiny dash finish
Tyre shine
Air line drying of crevices
Vacuum
Select from 14 different air freshener fragrances.

All that still on special offer for £10!!!!
2 bucket method in particular is very important. You seem to think you know what you're talking about (even baring in mind this topic is about the most active you've ever been on E90post) so I'm sure you'll agree.
      10-23-2012, 09:42 AM   #13
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Guys.. guys calm down.... Mega only suggested the place. In fairness the establishment belongs to a close friend of his and therefore it would be reasonable to assume that he would get preferential treatment.... However that being said, Ive read many positive reviews on other forums about this place.

Looking at it, the services they offer for £10... a tenner... is great value when compared to other car wash places, and yes there may have been occasions where they rush your car through because of the long que... and yes they can miss a few spots, but like mega said just tell them. The way I see it is, if theres a long que then it means they are busy for a reason.

An Mega, try not to take everything so personally.

back to the topic OP... £100.... in all honesty that's mates rates and then some.. Some members on here and fairly handy with detailing their own cars and you may be able to strike out a deal with them... just avoid Mart unless you wanna end up in jail!. Or you could try contacting members on detailing world in your area... But that aside i reckon for a full on correction your looking around the 300 mark from a respectable pro. Winter details could be had for cheaper I guess but you can haggle on the phone its not against the law you know.

Oh and verbally abusing people and places is a bit harsh. Even if they did scratch your car, I am sure had you have pointed it out something could have been done, maybe even a free detail.

All the best, if you get the car detailed post up some pics.

Regards.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 10:02 AM   #14
confused.com
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
"Like i said, they 'appear' to have a good setup, but in reality you can go to the hand wash at the local petrol station and get a better job done. "

That is absolute bollocks. Does your local carwash offer the following?

2 bucket method in particular is very important. You seem to think you know what you're talking about (even baring in mind this topic is about the most active you've ever been on E90post) so I'm sure you'll agree.
Lol - you amuse me, because i don't post very often, i'm not allowed to have an opinion on anything?

Hot Snow Foam - Its neither hot, nor foam. The lance is barely working, and they leave on whatever shower comes out for 10 - 15 seconds?

Hot Rinse down - Nope, cold water im afraid - maybe they will put the kettle on if you ask nicely.

Top Quality Shampoo - Does it have a name?

Microfibre towels - Yes, but i question how often these are cleaned.

Airline drying of crevices - Cant say i've ever seen this being done!

14 different air fresheners - you got me on this one, i think my local carwash only has 5 or 6!

Never had the interior done, so can't comment on the 'non shiny dash finish', sounds top quality though.

The 2 bucket method you refer to would be great if the the guys doing the washing knew what they were doing, refer to OP's comments regarding his experience.

As stated earlier, this is all in my opinion based on the handful of times i've been to this place. I couldn't care less if you think im talking bollox - i'm merely putting it out there.

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 10:03 AM   #15
Josh1a1h
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

I have a place in South Ken where i wash my car (if i do not have the time) and they charge £20.00 for a full on clean.. They take all the usual proper steps, but they do not rush your car if they have a que, they have a 3 bucket technique and foam your car twice! If you are first in line, they will clean your car in 15 minutes... I like going their because they usually have veyrons, carrera gt's, and high end exotics in line, and i like to have a little browse. I have always been lucky, and arrived when they had little work, but i have had a que quickly build behind me and they let people know it will be a 2 hour wait. But then people just go for a quick shop/wonder in Harrods. They also do detailing, but considering the area and the cars they deal with... it is no surprise they charge £700+

I enjoy washing my car, i have everything needed for a proper wash...Not a detail..

i understand it is fair to pay about the £300 mark for a detail, i just heard a guy up in scotland was charging crazy low prices as he knew the value of the service he was providing. He is an award winning detailer too.
It may be labour intensive, but it is far from complicated, and believes people charge far to much to detail a car.

I went back to the shop to let them know of the damage to my rear bumper, but they refused to accept responsibility.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 10:08 AM   #16
Josh1a1h
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

My response within your text

Quote:
Originally Posted by confused.com View Post
Lol - you amuse me, because i don't post very often, i'm not allowed to have an opinion on anything?

Hot Snow Foam - Its neither hot, nor foam. The lance is barely working, and they leave on whatever shower comes out for 10 - 15 seconds?

- They left the foam on far too long and it dried on my car.

Hot Rinse down - Nope, cold water im afraid - maybe they will put the kettle on if you ask nicely.

Top Quality Shampoo - Does it have a name?

- The water bucket looked half empty and quite brown & dirty and NO SUDS. A grit guard will not help here.

Microfibre towels - Yes, but i question how often these are cleaned.

Airline drying of crevices - Cant say i've ever seen this being done!

- I did not receive this.

14 different air fresheners - you got me on this one, i think my local carwash only has 5 or 6!

- I was not offered any of this

Never had the interior done, so can't comment on the 'non shiny dash finish', sounds top quality though.

- They cleaned inside mine, but definitely not my dash

The 2 bucket method you refer to would be great if the the guys doing the washing knew what they were doing, refer to OP's comments regarding his experience.

As stated earlier, this is all in my opinion based on the handful of times i've been to this place. I couldn't care less if you think im talking bollox - i'm merely putting it out there.

Maybe they just had one of those days. but i think they enjoyed standing around smoking and drying the cars rather than getting their hands wet.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 10:10 AM   #17
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

OP why dont you invest in a DA? they are around the £100 mark and you can get whole kit with a DA and cutting compounds with polish, I think a poorboys package was around 170.

And if you enjoy washing your car, and have the time then it makes sense to detail it yourself.

P.s the Beauty with DA's is that its fairly difficult to ruin your paint work and they give great results.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 10:12 AM   #18
shrink
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 325i SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guvernator View Post
A PROPER detail can cost anything from £300 up as it's a very painstaking, thorough and labor intensive process which can take a couple of days to finish. Any detailer worth there salt will use products which cost about £100 quid during the process anyway so I'd be very dubious about getting a detail for £100.
then i suggest you look at my thread about having my car detailed. and then check out this step by step progress report on my car being detailed for £100

http://www.dominion-detailing.co.uk/bmw-325i

Proper job, using top flight products done with care and attention. I couldn't be happier with the work.

I think he's pricing himself deliberately low to get more footfall though. I also think he could do with charging a bit more to perhaps be taken seriously, as it seems some of you guys in here will only pay for a service if you think its expensive enough. me i'll save my pennys and find good value.

also remember for each customer, they will only be using a small portion of those £100 products!! i wouldnt expect £100 worth of soap, wax and sealant to end up on my car. That would be ludicrous

Last edited by shrink; 10-23-2012 at 10:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 10:15 AM   #19
Josh1a1h
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

You know what... that might be a very good idea. For that sort of money too!

Do you know where i can pick a kit up like this for?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 10:16 AM   #20
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrink View Post
also remember for each customer, they will only be using a small portion of those £100 products!! i wouldnt expect £100 worth of soap, wax and sealant to end up on my car. That would be ludicrous
LOL.... Car would look awesome though!!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 10:19 AM   #21
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

There are soooo many sites selling them... Here is a link to give you an idea, there should be some other very competitive sites out there too... Virtually all the information you need will be on detailingworld including where to buy.

Some kits.
http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/c...hing-kits.aspx

A guide to using a DA.
http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=63859

All the best.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 10:20 AM   #22
Josh1a1h
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for the quick links bud.

appreciate the help

i think i have new reading material for tonight.
Appreciate 0