E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Does anyone here go running?

02-23-2008, 04:54 PM   #23
Welshman
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 535d Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauforty View Post
Can't stand running, I ride my bike to keep fit - more fun too!
Cycling has next to no impact on your joints. So much better than running at least on that score. However, I would agree that cycling is till better provide you have the nous to ride where it isn't too dangerous.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2008, 04:29 AM   #24
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshman View Post
Cycling has next to no impact on your joints. So much better than running at least on that score. However, I would agree that cycling is till better provide you have the nous to ride where it isn't too dangerous.
I used to do a bit of cycling .. I definitely preferred it to running. Mainly because with cycling you go faster for less effort, cover a greater distance, see more etc ... none of this helps when you are tying to to fit regular exercise into a busy week day.

The thing with running is that you can squeeze the same amount of exercise into a shorter distance and time. Plus for me .. I can committ to 3 mornings a week without an issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2008, 10:58 AM   #25
Bumps
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 320i M Sport

Garage List
I run in the evenings at work here in sunny NW London. At the weekends at home (when I have a bit more time) I go for a good 2 hour mountain bike ride. Usually Sunday morning - fantastic, rain or shine.

Both are good, but I cycle for pleasure and run out of necessity to keep fit and try to keep weight down (though having beer instead tonight!!). Best thing about running is you can fit it into a shorter time, but it is much less pleasant! However, the large numbers of laydee runners/joggers around here help make up for it....
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2008, 01:37 PM   #26
CD
gone ... but i will be back !
England
Rep
Drives: 335D Coupe

there is nothing better to give you a natural lift than exercising, especially outdoors. I like running early in the morning too, i get up have a warm cup of green tea and get out there before breakfast ( the green tea naturally increases your bodys thermogenics as well as being the well known antitoxidant. ) If its crappy outside im a bit of a wimp and stay in bed and go to the gym on an evening instead.

The best advice i was given when i decided it was time to loose weight was 'only do exercise you enjoy' that way you stick at it longer, if you dont enjoy many forms opf exercise, like has been said before in the thread 'start small ( maybe walking or fast walking ) and progress to more intense exercise at a comfortable rate, you will start to enjoy it , in fact it gets addictive

getting back to the original question of 'any tips on running' .. what i like to do is train in intervals. you can do this 2 ways:

1) put on your mp3 player and walk/jog to the verses of the songs and run / sprint to the shorter chorus. This way your body doesnt addapt to longer periods of the same exercise intensity, it is allways getting shocked. the songs differ, the length of the verses and corrus differ, a very different way of training.

2) if you are running in a built up area, you could set distances, like lampposts / parked cars / houses etc walk from one to another and sprint to the next etc.

i find interval training far better than boring running, i do about 20-30 mins every other day.

i could go on forever on this topic

E92 335D / QUAIFE LSD / EIBACH / DIMISA / REMAP / 19" HAMANN EDITION RACE REPS
... USUALLY WITH A HEALTHY SPLATTERING OF GOOD OLD YORKSHIRE MUD ...
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2008, 03:10 AM   #27
Bumps
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD View Post
there is nothing better to give you a natural lift than exercising, especially outdoors. I like running early in the morning too, i get up have a warm cup of green tea and get out there before breakfast ( the green tea naturally increases your bodys thermogenics as well as being the well known antitoxidant. ) If its crappy outside im a bit of a wimp and stay in bed and go to the gym on an evening instead.

The best advice i was given when i decided it was time to loose weight was 'only do exercise you enjoy' that way you stick at it longer, if you dont enjoy many forms opf exercise, like has been said before in the thread 'start small ( maybe walking or fast walking ) and progress to more intense exercise at a comfortable rate, you will start to enjoy it , in fact it gets addictive

getting back to the original question of 'any tips on running' .. what i like to do is train in intervals. you can do this 2 ways:

1) put on your mp3 player and walk/jog to the verses of the songs and run / sprint to the shorter chorus. This way your body doesnt addapt to longer periods of the same exercise intensity, it is allways getting shocked. the songs differ, the length of the verses and corrus differ, a very different way of training.

2) if you are running in a built up area, you could set distances, like lampposts / parked cars / houses etc walk from one to another and sprint to the next etc.

i find interval training far better than boring running, i do about 20-30 mins every other day.

i could go on forever on this topic
Good advice
Appreciate 0