E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Tesla...wow!

07-23-2013, 08:45 PM   #23
buildbright
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by drob23 View Post
Drove a Model S performance on a high speed ring with some nice banked turns going roughly 90, car is composed and very planted. The acceleration is INSANE for a car that weighs 4700lbs. Torque delivery is immediate and flat, almost gives the sensation of a roller coaster. You just press pedal and go, there is no gearbox so no noodling with downshifting etc. The low center of gravity really helps along with air suspension. Unfortunately, I was driving it after someone had done a full autopsy, so the steering was terrible after they put it back together. For a first attempt at an in-house developed car, Tesla did an incredible job. There are some strange omissions (need to turn on lights with MMI for example), especially regarding interior, my Audi interior is nicer IMO. Car exterior is gorgeous in person, especially with OEM 21" wheels. The infotainment is really impressive, pretty much functionally similar to an ipad, though it has some oddities.

The range anxiety is real even if it's rated for 300 miles. Driving it hard will net you around 1/3 the range prescribed, on average, I saw people get about 3/5 the estimated range. They were taking it up and down to speed, some driving more aggressively than others. It charges at around 18 mi/hr from 240V, so if you ever were driving and ran low on charge...forced to stop somewhere with 120V, all I can say is LOL.

In the end this isn't meant for people who don't have multiple cars. Their business plan isn't sustainable (ZE credits will become less valuable once other OEMs catch up), and in their heart of hearts they hope people won't be putting tons of miles on these. There's a lot of hype here, so it remains to be seen how they deal with recalls, lemon law's etc...owners are still in serious honey moon stage in a segment that has no competition.
You dick...lol How is the new upgrades treating you?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 09:58 PM   #24
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildbright View Post
You dick...lol How is the new upgrades treating you?
Ha, yea good times, though high speed ring was pretty boring compared to a steering and handling course that I never got to do

Over the weekend I got to drive someones B8 S4 with headers, awe res catback, stg 2 w/ pulley and dropped...so let's just say that I'm less than thrilled with my setup The owner was power sliding all 4 wheels on some backroads, I think I'm pretty much ready to kiss the warranty good bye

Put in the front bar + links so now suspension feels real tight, though not as dramatic as I hoped. His felt more planted and the hydraulic steering was better. AK is still the $$$$ upgrade. Ordered a magnaflow x-pipe and gonna replace the center resonator. I can only dream of sounding like his, seriously sounded like a Boss Mustang. Now trying to decide whether I'll attempt to put in my own OE springs, methinks no.

Been eying some AG 510's, which are incredibly concave at 19x9.5...I only dream of having the fenders of your F30, too easy to get these cars to rub. Once this is done, tune is next...

How about you sir? Any changes going on with the F30? I think the car looks better out of the box.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 11:11 PM   #25
buildbright
Major
Rep

Quote:
Ha, yea good times, though high speed ring was pretty boring compared to a steering and handling course that I never got to do

Over the weekend I got to drive someones B8 S4 with headers, awe res catback, stg 2 w/ pulley and dropped...so let's just say that I'm less than thrilled with my setup The owner was power sliding all 4 wheels on some backroads, I think I'm pretty much ready to kiss the warranty good bye

Put in the front bar + links so now suspension feels real tight, though not as dramatic as I hoped. His felt more planted and the hydraulic steering was better. AK is still the $$$$ upgrade. Ordered a magnaflow x-pipe and gonna replace the center resonator. I can only dream of sounding like his, seriously sounded like a Boss Mustang. Now trying to decide whether I'll attempt to put in my own OE springs, methinks no.

Been eying some AG 510's, which are incredibly concave at 19x9.5...I only dream of having the fenders of your F30, too easy to get these cars to rub. Once this is done, tune is next...

How about you sir? Any changes going on with the F30? I think the car looks better out of the box.
I have some custom Avant Garde Wheels for it which the upgraded non-runflat tires make a huge difference in steering feel. Power wise I am very happy with my stage 2 BMS JB4. Because of the heat I am running it on Map 1 with no E85. It makes the car what it should be from the factory ; ) Haven't done any track lately or autocross because its been hot and rainy all the time. I did do a short pull on a C63 AMG and we could not catch me. I was shocked.

Sounds like your S4 is coming along nicely. I like the sound of 4 wheel power slides, nothing beats dynamic driving. Is there a Tune in your future? Either way with your car so tight it means you add more power the fun it will be.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 01:44 AM   #26
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

Its just nice to see someone making a change in the auto industry especially for the better. In a small city, I can imagine myself driving a Tesla where its almost impossible to drive 200kms a day. I would love to see a smaller/lighter version from Tesla maybe in the size of A45. This would be a perfect grocery getter/ baby carrier for the wife.

Elon Musk is our Iron Man.
      07-24-2013, 08:47 AM   #27
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildbright View Post
I have some custom Avant Garde Wheels for it which the upgraded non-runflat tires make a huge difference in steering feel. Power wise I am very happy with my stage 2 BMS JB4. Because of the heat I am running it on Map 1 with no E85. It makes the car what it should be from the factory ; ) Haven't done any track lately or autocross because its been hot and rainy all the time. I did do a short pull on a C63 AMG and we could not catch me. I was shocked.

Sounds like your S4 is coming along nicely. I like the sound of 4 wheel power slides, nothing beats dynamic driving. Is there a Tune in your future? Either way with your car so tight it means you add more power the fun it will be.
You had custom finish or an actual custom fitment? Didn't realize they provide that option...

Yea, I forgot to mention that I'm still running the factory 18" A/S tires, which sucks cause I love the peelers but bought off the lot (there are not many S4's to choose from around here). Planning to put some PSS on the AG wheels once I get the $$$. We'll see how the 18" wheels look after a mild drop, but next to the other S4, my car looks like a crossover LOL

That BMS tune is incredible value, I really wish APR or GIAC pricing was more competitive. If I'm gonna void the warranty, it probably makes sense to go all out and install the pulley to go stg2, unfortunately, it runs just south of 2k to get a multi-program setup. Pretty surprising about the AMG considering it can run a 12 sec 1/4 mile from the factory, but I'm sure an aggressively tuned N55 will be fast as hell.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 10:47 AM   #28
buildbright
Major
Rep

Quote:
You had custom finish or an actual custom fitment? Didn't realize they provide that option...

Yea, I forgot to mention that I'm still running the factory 18" A/S tires, which sucks cause I love the peelers but bought off the lot (there are not many S4's to choose from around here). Planning to put some PSS on the AG wheels once I get the $$$. We'll see how the 18" wheels look after a mild drop, but next to the other S4, my car looks like a crossover LOL

That BMS tune is incredible value, I really wish APR or GIAC pricing was more competitive. If I'm gonna void the warranty, it probably makes sense to go all out and install the pulley to go stg2, unfortunately, it runs just south of 2k to get a multi-program setup. Pretty surprising about the AMG considering it can run a 12 sec 1/4 mile from the factory, but I'm sure an aggressively tuned N55 will be fast as hell.
Custom finish, they will do almost anything if you ask. I love my BMS box but I wish you could have a APR or GIAC tune and keep your warranty. I know there is Stasis but I do not trust them. Besides you get the real power after stage 2 and Pulley. After three dealership visits I still have mine. It was a short pull with the AMG but I still felt good, and he was on it because his car was loud! lol

I have come to find out on the street a tuned S4 and or 335i is a fast car. I am really waiting my time to see a new S4 or the M3/M4 for my next car. I also am waiting for a track day with the new corvette.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 11:30 AM   #29
Blackbirdhighway
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Convertible

Tesla Roadster

I have had a Tesla Roadster since 2009. It has been a great car, really fun. I have about 42,000 miles on it. So far the only issue was a faulty windshield washer pump, replaced under warranty.

For their very first car ever they did very well, but the Roadster is pretty crude compared to the technology level of the Model S. I am strongly considering a Model X with 4WD in a few years.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 02:44 PM   #30
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
Its just nice to see someone making a change in the auto industry especially for the better. In a small city, I can imagine myself driving a Tesla where its almost impossible to drive 200kms a day. I would love to see a smaller/lighter version from Tesla maybe in the size of A45. This would be a perfect grocery getter/ baby carrier for the wife.

Range is 200 miles ~= 320 km which is even better.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 12:43 AM   #31
b0bab0i
Major
Rep
Drives: 03 TiAG z4 3.0i w/ hardtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post

Honda has a car. The Honda Fit EV.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 02:59 PM   #32
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0bab0i View Post
Honda has a car. The Honda Fit EV.
No thanks.
      08-20-2013, 02:37 PM   #33
Anthonyv335is
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 335is and M5

they should make a 3 series competitor that would be one of my next cars
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 09:41 PM   #34
son_of_siggy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: CTS-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony v View Post
they should make a 3 series competitor that would be one of my next cars
I think that's what the intend to do after the Model X. Start with high price, high return cars and then get into lower cost cars with slimmer margins.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 02:20 AM   #35
Anthonyv335is
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 335is and M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by son_of_siggy View Post
I think that's what the intend to do after the Model X. Start with high price, high return cars and then get into lower cost cars with slimmer margins.
a little smaller in size kinda in between 3 an 5 series that would amount to being lighter and the 275 range to 350 would be a great jump and still make it a looker like the model s
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 11:25 AM   #36
DASHOCKER
The power of V!
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i coupe steptronic

Garage List
1998 Lexus Gs400  [0.00]
2010 ebony & ivory  [0.00]
2006 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 pics  [0.00]
2009 e92 335 xdrive  [0.00]
I here a 3 series fighter is coming
      09-06-2013, 01:44 AM   #37
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep

Elon Musk really is Iron Man

09-06-2013, 02:02 AM   #38
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Quote:
Originally Posted by son_of_siggy View Post
I'm not sure that business model makes a lot of sense for Tesla. The company is just barely profitable today because of heavy government subsidies, even with the high sticker price of the Model S. A cheaper model with even smaller profit margins isn't likely to help their bottom line, at least until the tech becomes more affordable to produce. It's a good thing they have Uncle Sam and a crazy billionaire on their side
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 06:04 AM   #39
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

I'd like to weigh in here. I've looked at the Tesla S from a different perspective - total ownership cost. Basically the initial cost is very high, if you compare the car to what most of here drive, an E46, E90 or F30 (bought new of course). But when you factor in the cost of fuel per mile, the Tesla S is more affordable in one sense. You really just pay for the cost of fuel (for fueling a gas engine) up front.

However, I compared the total cost of ownership of a Tesla to my E90, which I have complete costs records (purchase - incl. loan cost, fuel and maintenance) for my car. I used estimated purchase price and fuel costs from Tesla's website and estimated operating costs for tires and maintenance. I used the data on my car I had at the time for 194,000 miles worth of driving. The Tesla was about $20,000 more to own to that same level of mileage. Compare the Tesla S to another car in its price range, like a 7-series, then it's probably about the same total cost of ownership number even at a lower level of miles (but not too much lower). Of course I did not include a replacement battery into my calculations and I doubt the Tesla battery would last 194,000 miles let alone keep the same range capability over time. Factor those costs in and the $20,000 cost delta goes probably closer to $35K more to operate the Tesla.

Read the fine print on the Tesla website and you'll find out there is a $600/12,000 mile mandatory service/maintenance "inspection". And the Supercharger network to ward off range anxiety is a bunch of smoke and mirrors since it only lets you drive on already-crowded freeways (i.e. you can't take a "back way" from Washington D.C. to New York to avoid the traffic jam that is I95/Jersey Tpk). And what happens if all the charging stations are full? You wait for someone else to charge their Tesla for 30 minutes first? That'd be a long lunch.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 07:06 AM   #40
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Read the fine print on the Tesla website and you'll find out there is a $600/12,000 mile mandatory service/maintenance "inspection". And the Supercharger network to ward off range anxiety is a bunch of smoke and mirrors since it only lets you drive on already-crowded freeways (i.e. you can't take a "back way" from Washington D.C. to New York to avoid the traffic jam that is I95/Jersey Tpk). And what happens if all the charging stations are full? You wait for someone else to charge their Tesla for 30 minutes first? That'd be a long lunch.
You're completely forgetting about the battery swap program that will solve most of the above, however I will address what you wrote...

A supercharging station is just that, a supercharging station. I don't understand how it becomes smoke and mirrors because it doesn't also come with a secret highway network. Also, are you forgetting that stop and go traffic (read: lots of braking) will allow for more power regeneration through additional braking? I drive by the Darien supercharging stations every day. They are NEVER full. In fact, I've only seen a car parked at any of them one time in the three months that the station has been there and I see several of these cars each day. They are also smart enough to realize that expansion may be necessary at some point.

I think you're missing the point of the car. If you're a salesperson with a 500mi coverage area, this car does not make sense for you. It's geared more toward the daily commuter who will be charging every night or every few nights at their home. These cars have become very popular in my area because they make sense for that demographic. I commute 12mi each way to work and yesterday I saw three on the way in.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 07:51 AM   #41
M3forMe
M3 Dreamin'
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 E92 - AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr View Post
I'm not sure that business model makes a lot of sense for Tesla. The company is just barely profitable today because of heavy government subsidies, even with the high sticker price of the Model S. A cheaper model with even smaller profit margins isn't likely to help their bottom line, at least until the tech becomes more affordable to produce. It's a good thing they have Uncle Sam and a crazy billionaire on their side
Simply not true. The company is amazingly profitable.

2013 AW/BLK - DCT, Comp/Cold/Prem
Mods - IND Beauty kit, CF Roundels, CF Splitters, AiB Angel Eyes, EAS Exhaust Tips! B&G lowering springs
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 08:09 AM   #42
secretsquirrel
Colonel
Rep
Drives: f80

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3forMe View Post
Simply not true. The company is amazingly profitable.
True. And the bigger point is that their outlook is looking great. They have more pre orders than they can build and they have over 5k preorders for the SUV that hasn't even been unveiled.

The thing I love about the car is that there is basically no maintenance. There is a windshield washer pour in and a transmission oil pour in in the back. Its amazingly simple.

Oh, and you can travel 15k miles for about $400!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 09:39 AM   #43
Sedoy
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretsquirrel View Post
...The thing I love about the car is that there is basically no maintenance. There is a windshield washer pour in and a transmission oil pour in in the back. Its amazingly simple.
How about brake fluid and battery coolant... does it have those?

The thing I love about this car is this (the looks):
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 10:59 AM   #44
Freon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

I'm skeptical that any sort of battery replacement can be economical, or that it will really be equitable for the consumer. These batteries are a massive chunk of the cost of the car and they have a certain shelf and use life to them. They degrade in capacity, and there is no immediate engineering solution to that problem.

Is there a guarantee that when someone wants to sell their 2014 Telsa in 2020 that the used car buyer will have a decent battery? What is the guaranteed minimum capacity at that point? Exactly how far, legally speaking, is Tesla sticking their neck out on that? I've see the videos of them swapping batteries in 90 seconds, but how do I know the battery I get is good? What if I don't like the battery I got, or if it seems its capacity sucks, and I'm trying to sell the car? I guess they have announced some sort of trade-in deal, but I'm still a bit wary I guess.

I think the car looks great, and I'd be excited to own one at some point. I'm am hopeful as well. It's just hard to ignore the long term life issues with even the best li-ion batteries.