E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E92 obd port not working...

10-10-2013, 12:45 PM   #1
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Unhappy E92 obd port not working...

OBD is not listed on the fuse assignment card. So have no clue which one to check for.

Someone suggested No. 74 as a 5amp but my fuses only go up to 70!

All the wiring looks good and not chafed. The pins are in place but not sure which voltage which pin should be.

Any help grately appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 03:08 PM   #2
ChipB
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 'vert, 2014 X5

Something to check - are you sure it's the OBD that's not working, as opposed to your reader? I had a similar issue with the OBD on my E36 a few years back - I couldn't pass our local emissions test because the OBD reader at the inspection station couldn't get a reading. They tried 5 times with no luck, finally gave up and said my OBD port wasn't working. Since this is a testing station that tests hundreds of cars a day - including cars before and after I was there - it seemed clear that the problem was with the car. So I took it to the dealer who checked it and they said the OBD was working just fine. I then took it to another inspection station and they were able to read the OBD no problem. I never did figure out why the first test station was unable to read the OBD. Moral of the story is: try another reader and see if you still have an issue.

Last edited by ChipB; 10-11-2013 at 08:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 06:55 AM   #3
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

I've tried different readers... they all work on the other BMW we have.. hmmm
The OBDII has power... even the ELM devices show that as they power up and be picked up on the iphone
But all devices keep coming up with "no comms"

I'm going to take a closer look at the pins and see if any have been bent...
Wires look fine
Don't know which fuse to check if any... as the OBDII fuse is not listed on my fuse assignment card... but have read on the interweb that the K line gets its power from elsewhere... so not sure which fuse that would be.
Appreciate 0