E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Resetting Brake Wear service mileage - Help

06-14-2011, 07:53 PM   #1
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Resetting Brake Wear service mileage - Help

I used to know how to reset this by pressing the mileage reset button and accessing the hidden menu.

After you access the hidden menu, you have the front brake indicator. My mileage is down to 0 here (I have just changed to new pads). Then what do you do? by selecting reset, the mileage stays at 0 (actually _ _ _ _ _ is what I see).

Does anybody know how to up the remaining mileage?

Thanks for your help.
      06-14-2011, 09:10 PM   #2
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Surely, there must me someone who know this!
      06-14-2011, 09:37 PM   #3
Transport3r
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 N55 E90

Here's the e60 one, should be close:

Step 1
Insert key into slot
Step 2
Press start/stop button without depressing clutch/brake and wait for the service reminder to dissapear.
Step 3
Immediately after service reminder goes out, press and hold the odometer reset. After 3 secs a warning triangle will appear, keep the odo. button pressed and after another 2-3 secs the Oil can will appear. I f you hold it too long (10 secs in total) you will overshoot the runway and some German writing will appear giving the software level/ can bus etc. of the car. Go back to the beginning and start again.
Step 4
You are now in the service menu, use the toggle switch on indicator stalk to scroll up/down through the various service items.
Step 5
When you have the item you want to reset showing, press the BC button on end of indicator stalk. Reset should now appear in the display. Press in and hold the BC button for 2-3 secs and a clock will start whirling around and hey presto, its done
Step 6
You can now either scroll up/down to select another item (as in step 4) or you can press the start/stop button to exit.

Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 09:53 PM   #4
ArizSun21
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Garage List
Does this work for all service items (oil change and vehicle check)?

'08 335i - Alpine White/Black • H&R Sport • 18% Tint • PROcede V5 • PWM Meth • DCI • • • • 02' Spa Yellow/Black Acura NSX
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 10:04 PM   #5
pinky_and_me
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N54 335xi

You have to change the brake pad sensor as well and then reset the service warning.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50536
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 11:11 PM   #6
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Ok, now I know that many have hit the wall like me doing this. Looks like it might be related to the pad wear sensor. Before changing the sensor to a new one, I'll try to disconnect and reconnect it and then do the reset.
      06-14-2011, 11:31 PM   #7
Transport3r
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 N55 E90

I thought the sensors came in the new pads?

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 12:11 AM   #8
EastBayE90
Formerly (-(ellblazer420
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i M/T, 15 F80 M3 DCT

Garage List
Step 5 is the key. OP it sounds like you just pressed bc and did not hold it down. I did this the other day and kept forgetting to hold bc. Once you hold it on the selected item you will see a clock spinning then your in business. After it's done press the start/stop and you are good to go when you turn the car back on.

Step 5
When you have the item you want to reset showing, press the BC button on end of indicator stalk. Reset should now appear in the display. Press in and hold the BC button for 2-3 secs and a clock will start whirling around and hey presto, its done
Step 6
You can now either scroll up/down to select another item (as in step 4) or you can press the start/stop button to exit.

(410whp 445ft/lbs | DCI + Meth Only)
OpenFlash OTS Stage 1 Flash | Vishnu PWM Meth Kit | Vishnu DCI| Forge DVs
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 12:46 AM   #9
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

i solved it by cutting the sensor wires and put them together. its the sensor. or just get a new one
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 07:58 AM   #10
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by (-(ellblazer420 View Post
Step 5 is the key. OP it sounds like you just pressed bc and did not hold it down. I did this the other day and kept forgetting to hold bc. Once you hold it on the selected item you will see a clock spinning then your in business. After it's done press the start/stop and you are good to go when you turn the car back on.

Step 5
Step 6
I did this (and all kinds of other combinations) and same result! As others have pointed out, it seems to be related to the wear sensor. It's looking as if you need to make the car think you have changed sensor. Either by actually changing the sensor or:

- Cutting the old one and rejoining it as Enrita mentioned
- Disconnecting the sensor at the top of the wheel well and attaching a new one to it, do reset and reconnect the old one
- Disconnect the old wire and reconnecting it. Not sure this works, but I'll give this a try and report. Since I am quite busy, will do this in the week-end.

Many thanks to all of you who helped. Much appreciated.