E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > BMautosport wheels any good?

11-24-2012, 05:45 PM   #1
stabmacho90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i 2005 55 plate black

BMautosport wheels any good?

Hi. I am looking to buy some new wheels with price range £400-£500 with 18" size. I don't mind buying new or used one. At first, I tried to find some genuine BMW alloys/wheels. Price of new wheels is totally out of budget. just removed them out of list. Some used wheels are within price range such as MV2, MV3 etc. But haven't found any that really suit me. if price is right, then the offset is no good, tyres need replacing, kerbs all around etc. some used wheels are immaculate but slightly just out of budget range like £600-£800ish. Meanwhile, some sellers are just ignorant that they don't know whether their wheels are genuine or not, and are not helpful in giving details of their wheels correctly like offset and so on.

Now, I really feel the chance of buying genuine wheels with that budget quite hard. my options are limited. I know some friends just tell me to be patient and wait for deal in this forum and others. but, I just don't like to wait and need to keep checking forums, ebay etc every now and then.

A chap here with stunning wheels do recommend me to get some alloys from BMautosport. I tried to call Mark and he was very helpful and nice bloke to deal with. The choice of wheels are great too with good price being offered. The only downside is they are not genuine alloys. Plus, buying new alloys+tyres would cost around £600ish, which is slightly out of my budget. but I will get new alloys at least, and good part worn tyres.

Now, I just need to know any members here who have been using alloys from BMautosport or perhaps have been their loyal customers keep buying from them from time to time? Can you guys share some comments on the quality of them and satisfaction of using these aftermarket alloys (calling them replica doesnt sound too good haha)? Also, if you are looking to spend around £600ish, would you stick to buying used genuine alloys or a brand new set of far stunning-looking aftermarket alloys?

Appreciate every comment given. cheers
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 07:28 PM   #2
Billyray911
Brigadier General
Venezuela
Rep
Drives: Blah

I bought some csl reps from Mark and although I was very happy with the service and turnaround in getting them,the wheels that I ordered,which were chrome faced,diamond cut have corroded very badly over the space of a short few months.
Before they were put onto the car,I coated them in Autoglym wheel protection and have since used Poorboys,with no slow down in the corrosion.
They will be refurbished as soon as I replace the rear tyres or put my winters on.
As a dealer,I would highly recommend BM Autosport.However,I would be wary of the longevity of some of the finishes...
In fairness,oem wheels have their own issues with them cracking-I found my rear MV3's both had hairline cracks,so get what you like.Buying reps has no stigma attached and might mean that you can get some decent rubber in the deal.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 08:13 PM   #3
stabmacho90
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyray911 View Post
I bought some csl reps from Mark and although I was very happy with the service and turnaround in getting them,the wheels that I ordered,which were chrome faced,diamond cut have corroded very badly over the space of a short few months.
Before they were put onto the car,I coated them in Autoglym wheel protection and have since used Poorboys,with no slow down in the corrosion.
They will be refurbished as soon as I replace the rear tyres or put my winters on.
As a dealer,I would highly recommend BM Autosport.However,I would be wary of the longevity of some of the finishes...
In fairness,oem wheels have their own issues with them cracking-I found my rear MV3's both had hairline cracks,so get what you like.Buying reps has no stigma attached and might mean that you can get some decent rubber in the deal.
Hi thanks for your respond! Appreciate that. I understand that diamond cut finish tends to corrode easily-be it genuine or reps. Sad to hear that it lets you down just within few month.

Genuine wheels do have issues of cracking??? Oh, when I contacted several sellers of MV3 and MV2 wheels, some of them also said that they had hairline cracks which are not major problem and can be easily repaired but I would want to avoid that! Your story makes me feel that genuine wheels are not that much superior.

I really love a set of alloys on BMautosport website but I just don't have much courage yet to order them since I never bought aftermarket/reps wheels before. and I had no knowledge whether people are satisfied with them or just think they worth as much as they paid for it-which is a disappointment.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 01:59 AM   #4
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330d M Sport

Garage List
Genuine MV3 and MV4 both have issues with cracking, probably caused by the run flat tyres fitted by BMW.

Yes, they can be repaired.

I have a set of 18" CSL reps from BM Autosport and they're brilliant. Fit and finish is perfect, and after just over a year they still look like new when they're clean. I don't know anyone who has had a problem with the service from Mark, it's always excellent.

Diamond cut wheels are alwys going to be prone to corrosion and damage, just because of how they're made. I don't think genuine BMW wheels would really last any longer.
      11-25-2012, 02:07 AM   #5
azzi78
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 320 se

Hi I bought csl reps from mark back in June in the gunmetal finish and in all honesty, I'm very happy...wheels are good quality, and the service was excellent...mark was very helpfull and patient with me lol!!! The wheels look as good as they do when I first bought them from him...I had my own tyres and he was more then happy to swap them over!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 03:28 AM   #6
Billyray911
Brigadier General
Venezuela
Rep
Drives: Blah

Don't let my experience put you off-I was unaware of the problems with diamond cut alloys,so just avoid that type.
You've found some that you like,he's recommended-go for it!
To echo what others have said,I had some tyres sent to Mark and he mounted them and sent them out to me within a day or so after I found cracks in my MV3's-quite good really!
Post up picks when you've got them on!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 03:57 AM   #7
Cyprio
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi S4 B/Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyray911 View Post
+1. I visited BM Auto's with the intention of buying a set of csl reps, but was disappointed with the quality. I eventually bought a set from Chris over on m3cutters forum.

Now the great thing with Chris being a member of m3cutters is that he will always mention the quality of the various different alloys he receives from his suppliers and this is also reflected in the price, so you know exactly what you are getting.

I can't recommend Chris enough, and believe me I'm hard to please.
      11-25-2012, 04:00 AM   #8
Axelf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Z4 35is...

I bought a set of 18" 359 reps also not long ago to use as winter wheels.. Got the wheel and tyre deal and I am happy with them as they were only £900 for a set and that's new wheels...
      11-25-2012, 04:05 AM   #9
Danny.B.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M Sport

chris (above) from ******** is highly recommended also!

as a side note i have some 18" tyres sat i will be selling soon if your interested. all 4 have plenty of tread left! not looking for too much either, pm if interested
      11-25-2012, 06:12 AM   #10
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyprio View Post
+1. I visited BM Auto's with the intention of buying a set of csl reps, but was disappointed with the quality. I eventually bought a set from Chris over on m3cutters forum.

Now the great thing with Chris being a member of m3cutters is that he will always mention the quality of the various different alloys he receives from his suppliers and this is also reflected in the price, so you know exactly what you are getting.

I can't recommend Chris enough, and believe me I'm hard to please.
Are you a member on cutters? Mate Chris is a top bloke.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 06:50 AM   #11
stabmacho90
Private First Class
Rep

Hi thanks all for replying! Yup to be precise I'm interested with 18" staggered 359 reps alloys!!! I think they look the best on 3 series, better on Z4 and coupe. But I just like them and think they would look good on saloon as well should i take staggered or same all around then? What's benefit and downside of staggered set btw?

Looks like there are mixed response from members. Now I am not sure to order from chris or mark. Haha. Both look equally good and same price range but mark offered me a good deal and he is very patient answering my questions! That makes me want to choose him more. Will still think before Monday as thought of going to order them on Monday

P/s: if there are 359 genuine alloys at my price range I would def grab them but I doubt it haha
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 08:09 AM   #12
Triggster
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 M Sport 330D

19" staggered is the way forward, buy 18" or non-staggered and most regret the decision. Staggered wheels is mainly an aesthetic thing as they look better but there may be a slight performance/handling gain. Downside is rubber might cost a tad more.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 08:47 AM   #13
stabmacho90
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triggster View Post
19" staggered is the way forward, buy 18" or non-staggered and most regret the decision. Staggered wheels is mainly an aesthetic thing as they look better but there may be a slight performance/handling gain. Downside is rubber might cost a tad more.
Really 19"?? Urgh, I know they look insane but I am more to practicality. but still need to be satisfied with the overall look at the same time, of course! For me, 18" is just enough (lower than that will defo disappointing). So staggered is just for style. hmm, staggered it is then.

I have contacted Chris from ********. He said most 18" alloys have run out of stock as most people bought 18" as winter wheels One more thing, does silver or gunmetal look more awesome on black 320i?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 12:28 PM   #14
scooba0010
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 430D-MOTORSPORT

Hi , I have used BMAutosport for lots off bit over the last 3 years,I have found Mark very helpful he and Dean are very dedicated and nothing is to much trouble .

I even use Mark to fit tyres .

I would not hesitate to recommend him .
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 12:52 PM   #15
Cyprio
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi S4 B/Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_P View Post
Are you a member on cutters? Mate Chris is a top bloke.
Yes, though must admit I haven't been on there for some time now.

M3cutters is a great forum and with a great crowd of people, much like e90post.
      11-25-2012, 01:06 PM   #16
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyprio View Post
Yes, though must admit I haven't been on there for some time now.

M3cutters is a great forum and with a great crowd of people, much like e90post.
Haha. You politician you
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 02:16 PM   #17
afalton
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: bmw e92 330i m sport

hiya im curious would 8.5 and 9.5 wide 19" wheels fit my sept 07 e92 330 msport with any probs? thanks for ur help!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 04:12 AM   #18
DuckySpud
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by afalton View Post
hiya im curious would 8.5 and 9.5 wide 19" wheels fit my sept 07 e92 330 msport with any probs? thanks for ur help!
It depends on the offset of the wheels. They should fit fine with ET30 or more I think. Much lower than that and you will start needing arch work doing, especially if the car is lowered as well.

Back on topic, I got my wheels from Chris on m3cutters (CM Wheels). Fantastic guy to deal with, sorted out a tire package in my price range and the wheels are spot on quality wise. Only had them a few weeks so cant comment on long term yet though.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 12:52 PM   #19
afalton
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: bmw e92 330i m sport

ah see, ill have to find out the offsets. thanks for your help!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 02:59 PM   #20
skins83
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 320d m sport

I've just bought some csl reps off chris through the m3cutters. I'm made up with the wheels and chris is extremely helpful.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 04:20 PM   #21
stabmacho90
Private First Class
Rep

I have finally ordered a set of 18" CS performance wheels from Mark at BMAutosport today and they will probably be delivered tomorrow hopefully can't wait to see them in real though! I contacted Chris @ ******** but he doesn't have much choice of 18" wheels currently. Both of them doesnt have alloys in anthracite sadly I have the thought of ordering VMR V710 from US but judging the hassle I'm going to face and the rampant delivery puts me off haha.

Just some questions. I will be receiving a set with 8" front ET34 and 8.5" rear ET37. Will these be okay for my 320i on standard suspension? Also planning to get 225/40 tyres on fronts and 245/40 on rears. I know most advice on 235/40 on rears but I have this friend willing to sell his 245/40 at a bargain. Are these tyre sizes okay???

Last edited by stabmacho90; 11-26-2012 at 04:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 04:32 PM   #22
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

It will change your rolling radius. It is ok. But not recommended.
Ideally 225/40. 255/35.

Last edited by A_P; 11-26-2012 at 04:39 PM..
Appreciate 0