E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Driving your BMW across the border...

08-16-2012, 12:16 AM   #1
B1N
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F83 M4

Driving your BMW across the border...

Hey guys,

I've never driven my car down to the border, even with my last 6 series i had for 4 years didn't use it to go down because always afraid its just unncessary trouble with the agents (in my 20's)...I know lots of young ppl on this board here with nice cars, just curious what its like when you guys go down with your cars?...do they tend to as more questions? pull you in for checks?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 12:36 AM   #2
itrocks4u
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80, F36, E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1N
Hey guys,

I've never driven my car down to the border, even with my last 6 series i had for 4 years didn't use it to go down because always afraid its just unncessary trouble with the agents (in my 20's)...I know lots of young ppl on this board here with nice cars, just curious what its like when you guys go down with your cars?...do they tend to as more questions? pull you in for checks?
I got asked less questions in my bimmer than the civic. I'm 26.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 01:36 AM   #3
honbut
Canada
Rep
Drives: BUS 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1N View Post
Hey guys,

Shouldn't be too bad.. I never got trouble from them. I usually just tell them what they need to know. nothing to hide.. don't make it seem like you have something to hide and they won't give you trouble..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 01:45 AM   #4
Yvette
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

first 3 times, I was always demanded to park my car and stay inside building. After that, all good no problems. that was 5 years ago and I am late 20's now. So I guess they think suspicious when you drive BMW when you are early 20's
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 01:49 AM   #5
Andy M
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 BMW 335i xdrive

When I was 25 (though I probably look younger because I'm Asian), I was speaking at a conference at Niagara Falls on the Canadian side. That was the time when the US had the KFC Double Down and we didn't. I also JUST moved to Toronto so I just got my Ontario license but I still had Alberta plates on the car. I left the conference for lunch, drove down to the border so I could go try the Double Down.

So there I am at the US border in a full suit, in a BMW, going down to the US just for lunch. Conversation went something like this:

Agent: are you the owner of this vehicle?
Me: yes
Agent: and you live in...Toronto or Alberta?
Me: I was from Edmonton but just moved to Toronto
Agent: so what is your reason for travel to the US today?
Me: I'm going to get lunch at KFC.
Agent: excuse me?
Me: I really want to try that KFC Double Down and it's not available in Canada and since I was in Niagara Falls for a conference, I thought I'd drive over
Agent: so let me get this straight...you moved from Alberta to Toronto, then drove to Niagara Falls in a car still registered in Alberta, and then to the United States......for KFC.
Me: ...yeah, that's pretty much correct.
Agent: *stunned silence* ok...well, I hope the sandwich is really good then. Have a good day.

On the way back, I made the Canadian border agent laugh because I tried declaring a KFC sandwich at the Canadian side as my only item of purchase. I kept the receipt too.

You'll be fine.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 03:17 AM   #6
335ifanatic
Major
Rep
Drives: Revuelto, Urus Performante, X5

I've crossed the border with my A5 without any issues, haven't tried with my 750i. I don't think you'll have too many issues.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 03:23 AM   #7
Aznrecon
Rep
Drives: 335i

335i cabriolet no issues. You should be fine
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 07:37 AM   #8
srh335xi
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: e93 M3

Get a Nexus card and you'll never be bothered again, and much quicker crossing.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 08:29 AM   #9
DMafia46
Hates Posers
Rep
Drives: E46M3,335xi,Lambo,

Yellow H2 with shiny rims got searched on the way there and on way back
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 08:37 AM   #10
grn.eyed.bandit
can you stand it?
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 Touring

I drive mine multiple times per month...you should be fine. Don't be cocky and don't try to be funny either. Answer the questions directly without stuttering and all is good.

basically asks citizenship, where you live, how long in the US and purpose of the trip. I've also been asked if it was my car and what I do for a living.

When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome

08-16-2012, 08:38 AM   #11
maf330xi
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW 330xi

Early 20s's..standard questions by the agent but I did get pulled over the first time I crossed the border with the bimmer. Searched the vehicle and had to wait in the building for about 10 minutes...not a big deal though.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 09:31 AM   #12
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

Yep. Got stopped and requested I open my trunk and answer a bunch of questions and asked to be pulled over to the US Custom inspection building and was asked the same or similar question. After about 1 hr Q&A and their searching, they let me go. This was many, many years ago.

Questions such as employment, where is the place of my employment, where I live, purpose of visit, what year I got my driving license, etc.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 09:45 AM   #13
DESI4life10
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Coding: Desi4life10@gmail.com

I didn't get pulled over, but they would always ask me to shut the car off and open the trunk when it was my turn to meet a customs agent.

They would always ask me questions as to how I could afford a car..blah blah.

One time, I had like 5 us agents scramble around my car when the trunk was opened (nothing was in it but a cooler full of water). The agents didn't even bother to but the cargo net back on and when I got home, I was greeted with a flipped cooler. I was lucky the mat absorbed the water.

When I go over with my mom in the passenger seat, I never get hassled. :-)

This happened when I was 22-24 (now 26)
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 09:58 AM   #14
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep
Drives: GT3RS

who cares unless you have something to hide?
US guys are friendly - just answer their questions and dont be a dbag
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 10:47 AM   #15
drevil2k2
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 B9 A4

this one time.... in band camp.....

was using a rental to cross border shop and on the way back:

Q: CAN customs asked why I took a rental across

A: was leasing my vehicle, didn't wanted to put excess KMs

Q: please may I see the rental agreement?

Thanks, have a nice day.

Really, if you have a logical answers for their questions, there should be no hassle.
      08-17-2012, 10:28 PM   #16
shaginwagon13
Chartered Accountant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M View Post
Me: I really want to try that KFC Double Down and it's not available in Canada and since I was in Niagara Falls for a conference, I thought I'd drive over
Agent: so let me get this straight...you moved from Alberta to Toronto, then drove to Niagara Falls in a car still registered in Alberta, and then to the United States......for KFC.
Agent: *stunned silence* ok...well, I hope the sandwich is really good then. Have a good day.
hahahah That's Awesome.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 10:59 AM   #17
Havok_2011
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 2011 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M View Post
When I was 25 (though I probably look younger because I'm Asian), I was speaking at a conference at Niagara Falls on the Canadian side. That was the time when the US had the KFC Double Down and we didn't. I also JUST moved to Toronto so I just got my Ontario license but I still had Alberta plates on the car. I left the conference for lunch, drove down to the border so I could go try the Double Down.

So there I am at the US border in a full suit, in a BMW, going down to the US just for lunch. Conversation went something like this:

On the way back, I made the Canadian border agent laugh because I tried declaring a KFC sandwich at the Canadian side as my only item of purchase. I kept the receipt too.

You'll be fine.
lol!!! Best story ever
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 11:31 AM   #18
WiLD
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: your girl WiLD

Pulled up and before I even got to the booth the guy had a tag ready...I was in an 89 civic hatch at the time (7 years ago). They search my car and pretty much ripped it appart, ripped the glove box off ect. but the one thing that got me was that when I got back to my car I noticed my subs werent in the box anymore. They unscrewed each screw and didnt put it back together just left it sitting on the ground behind my car while they were standing in front of my car laughing. That was the worst experience for me. Ive been pulled over at the boarder and questioned at least 40 times, because my sister is canadian but live in the states her whole life and our dad lived in canada, long story lol, so I have been crossing that border for as long as Ive had a license.

\ 07' e92 335i / BSM \ Saddle Brown / Remus \ JB4 / OSS \ LCI / M3 Rep \ 20" Vossen CV3 / H&R Sport \ QI45 /
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 01:06 PM   #19
cuiter23
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87 M2 6Spd

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [6.00]
I live about 10 mins away from the border and cross at least 1-2 times every week. I have a Nexus card and found myself in A LOT less trouble even when I have to use the regular lanes.
[SOLD] 2007 E90 328i - Titanium Metallic l 19" VMR V710 l H&R Trak+ Spacers l M-Sport Rear Bumper l Mtech Rear Lip Spoiler l Hamann Front Lip l Eibach Sportline l AA N52 Signature Exhaust l OEM Blacklines l MTEC V3 AE l 6000K HID l Nokya 7000K Fogs l MTEC License Plate LED l Interior LED l 15% Tint l BlackVue DR380G-HD + PMP
2023 G87 M2 6Spd - HEA Package | OEM M Performance Carbon Wing
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 02:43 PM   #20
j335is
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 335is

@andy m -- epic KFC story. I would have done the exact same thing!! hahaha!

As for the one comment which said "just don't be a dbag..." I think USCBP agents need to take that piece of advice..

<1:30 on a Wednesday afternoon>
Q: So, why are you coming into the US?
A: Had some free time to spend
Q: What are your plans/where are you going?
A: Heading down to Seattle to buy some clothes
Q: You can't get clothes at home? ...did Canada run out of clothes?
(stunned at his comment)
A: Yes, but the selection and prices are better..
(thinking: um, dude, I'm helping your economy...don't be a dick?)
Q: Don't you have to be at work now?
A: No.. I'm off... <blink blink>

Facepalm.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2012, 05:03 AM   #21
itrocks4u
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80, F36, E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by awild1797
Pulled up and before I even got to the booth the guy had a tag ready...I was in an 89 civic hatch at the time (7 years ago). They search my car and pretty much ripped it appart, ripped the glove box off ect. but the one thing that got me was that when I got back to my car I noticed my subs werent in the box anymore. They unscrewed each screw and didnt put it back together just left it sitting on the ground behind my car while they were standing in front of my car laughing. That was the worst experience for me. Ive been pulled over at the boarder and questioned at least 40 times, because my sister is canadian but live in the states her whole life and our dad lived in canada, long story lol, so I have been crossing that border for as long as Ive had a license.
Can't you complain for stuff like this? Sounds a bit extreme.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2012, 05:36 PM   #22
m-technik
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335, E36 Ti, Porsche 986

I live right next to the Washington State border. I cross at least once a week for cheap gas or to pickup car parts ordered online. never once have i been checked. Keep eye contact (remove sunglasses if you are wearing them), speak clearly, concisely and don't stutter or mumble and tell the truth, even if it is to get a KFC double down lol!
Appreciate 0