E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > High boost turbo failures

04-26-2008, 03:23 PM   #67
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a few BMWs

shit. . . . .

LTMW Widebody+1M front bumper+Slek CF Lip|M3 Hood|StopTech BBK|M-Sport Rear Bumper+DD CF Diffuser|Custom Recaro Seats|KW V2|BavX LS3|M3 Side Skirts+Custom CF Lip|BBS CHR 19x10.5+BBS Lugs|LCI Taillights|RD Sport Anti-Sway Bars|GIAC S2|ER Intercooler+CF Shroud+Charge Pipe|Tial BOV|Injen Intake|MS downpipes|Custom Exhaust|BMS Oil Catch Can|M3 DCT wheel+TiD CF Paddles|BMW CF Trunk Spoiler|Aluminum Pedals

Last edited by Neema; 04-26-2008 at 03:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2008, 03:58 PM   #68
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod182 View Post
I don't have his printout with me now, and probably wouldn't post his personal read outs publicly anyways. However, here is part of a 11 page printout report on another modified 335i. You can see how much stuff in monitored from manifold pressure sensor, throttle motor, light bulbs, exhaust valve, etc, etc. It tells which ones will trigger a CEL etc. Most of this stuff probably wouldn't show up on a generic code reader. Modified cars with CELs start showing more peculiarities in their fault signatures that BMW is becoming pretty interested in investigating. Remember, readouts are uploaded and BMW can immediately analyze stuff from across the country. Pretty interesting stuff?

Interesting read, thanks.
      04-26-2008, 04:03 PM   #69
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by fll335 View Post
This is what I dont like.
Fault does not cause warning light (MIL)
I agree, how is the driver to know if something is slowly failing.
      04-26-2008, 04:25 PM   #70
silvrevo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235v 6spd

Quote:
I think the 335i will be fine for some fun drag runs every once in a while, and everyday driving with mild boost increases. I still believe Dinan researched quite extensively what the little turbos will handle in regards to safe boost levels. I don't think running the 335i on a track with sustained high boost levels is a smart idea. The M3 is definitely the better solution for running a road course on a warmer day, etc. At the end of the year, I may be getting an 09 M3 to replace my 335i sedan. I just don't look forward to getting 12mpg, etc. I think the 335i is perfect with 10-12psi. But who knows exactly what the longterm ramifactions are of specific boost levels. But the higher the boost, the more load there is on your turbo bearings, etc. I think running 15psi+ boost on these little turbos is asking for trouble. The increased temperatures and shaft speeds will kill the turbos, its just a matter of time. Hopefully those that have, or know of failures can post to keep the N54 community informed on this very important subject.

Ya but who is to say when you get a problem with your engine and have to take it in. And nobody can say X psi is safe. Might be, Might be another issue you have to take your 335i in on too. Same result, they find your tune,, Correct?

See a stock car can have an issue,,,

So what Im getting at is if your car is tuned,,, you take off your "toon",, Can they see what values were over in the ecu? And then void your warrenty?

Just because you think you have a safe Tune, dosnt mean a problem wont pop up,, then what,, your F'cd.!!!!!

Correct me if Im wrong.

Also what if you take off your "toon" and drive for 6 months stock. You then have an issue and take it in. Will they still be able to look back say 6 months, or would they look at more recent values?

Im about 2 steps away from going back.

And Yea! That M3 isnt looking bad either,, except the mpg, and gas going to be Over $5.00 by Mid Summer.

$14k would be a crushing crushing blow to me,,, Let alone another $14k for internal work.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2008, 04:42 PM   #71
335ICoupe
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrevo View Post
So what Im getting at is if your car is tuned,,, you take off your "toon",, Can they see what values were over in the ecu? And then void your warrenty?

Also what if you take off your "toon" and drive for 6 months stock. You then have an issue and take it in. Will they still be able to look back say 6 months, or would they look at more recent values?
:
Good question, how long are the codes stored?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2008, 05:11 PM   #72
Jonmartin
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

sucks for whoever that is.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2008, 05:13 PM   #73
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonmartin View Post
sucks for whoever that is.
I'd still like to know who that is.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2008, 05:13 PM   #74
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

scribed
      04-26-2008, 05:16 PM   #75
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a few BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
scribed
unfortunately. . . . +1

LTMW Widebody+1M front bumper+Slek CF Lip|M3 Hood|StopTech BBK|M-Sport Rear Bumper+DD CF Diffuser|Custom Recaro Seats|KW V2|BavX LS3|M3 Side Skirts+Custom CF Lip|BBS CHR 19x10.5+BBS Lugs|LCI Taillights|RD Sport Anti-Sway Bars|GIAC S2|ER Intercooler+CF Shroud+Charge Pipe|Tial BOV|Injen Intake|MS downpipes|Custom Exhaust|BMS Oil Catch Can|M3 DCT wheel+TiD CF Paddles|BMW CF Trunk Spoiler|Aluminum Pedals
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2008, 05:28 PM   #76
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

Vishnu and a handful of other guys here (including terry) have been pushing the crap out of their cars for what is probably combined hundreds of thousands of miles without turbo failure. Does not mean it won't happen, but that should help put the risk in a better perspective.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2008, 05:28 PM   #77
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
Wow, I wonder what hidden codes are in my car.
      04-26-2008, 05:31 PM   #78
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

$14k should be enough for a complete aftermarket solution utilizing bigger turbos, better fueling, etc, etc. Another $15k for an engine?! I could have the engine rebuilt to my specifications, top and bottom end, with forged internal parts for that much money.

I'm glad the owner of the site let this post stay up this time. I think this is good for anyone that drives an N54 powered car to see.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2008, 05:35 PM   #79
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM E92 335i, AM E90 335i

Garage List
wow.... I really hope BMW isnt going to screw us over, the scary thing is, that even you stock 335i's arent safe from the problem.....
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2008, 05:40 PM   #80
V1.47fan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: TheArtist formerly known as M3

Quote:
I mentioned last week that some higher boost cars were having turbo failures. One had the V2, downpipes, intake, and catback. BMW investigated and denied warranty coverage after finding "evidence" of tampering, so the owner had to approve $14800 of work "so far". If the engine has to be replaced, tack on about another $15000. The engine block alone is $11,845 (pt#11-00-0-415-278). I looked all this up initially, because I wanted to know how much it would cost to replace my engine if I blew it up. What I didn't realize is that you can spend another $14,000+ when you have to replace your turbos, and catalytic converters, etc. $30,000 is definitely something that gets your attention. As I said, the DME records everything from exhaust valve disconnect, implausible throttle angle/boost, misfires, battery disconnects, and even light bulb removals. I have also heard other cars in which the turbos have become noisey (whine) after usage at higher boost levels. I really think tunes that boost at anything above what Dinan recommended, (12-13 psi?) will start destroying your turbos. I think if you could see how much higher those turbos spin at those boost levels you would be shocked. I think this is all "very important" knowledge for the N54 community. Like I said, I posted this earlier last week, and it got deleted by the mods, as I was accused of working for Terry! So I went over there and posted, and the thread was not deleted, and infact became a thread of useful information. Here is a picture of the 335i with failed turbos, with cats that were ruined by the oil dumped in them. I have always backed up my claims with facts. I don't know if the mods want to see the DME printouts, more engine pictures, audio clips?, I'm obliged to provide them upon request. The DME fault codes "signature" that is left when check engine lights come on in modified cars are uniquely suspicious to BMW.

That doesn't make sense,it costs less than us $6,000 to replace the turbos in GB by a BMW shop.I can have it done by my local mechanic for less than $6,000 parts +labor in the US in case my warranty was voided witch is unlikely.I agree with keeping boost level around 13psi tho.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2008, 05:56 PM   #81
lawdude
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ZPP ZSP TiAg MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyBimmerDude View Post
Wow, I wonder what hidden codes are in my car.
I think mine logged the time I cuffed my carrot when I thought no one was looking.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2008, 06:04 PM   #82
branabolic
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdude View Post
I think mine logged the time I cuffed my carrot when I thought no one was looking.
that's hilarious! the clanking noise in those videos sounds completely minor compared to a b5 stock s4. also my a4 is a non turbo and it makes that noise as well but even louder... i always just assumed it was the cams how do we know that is not the case here???
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2008, 06:05 PM   #83
scalbert
Major General
Rep
Drives: '13 S4, '15 Q7

That looks similar to down4it car and he has been quite (not like him) for several weeks. Last post was 04-08-2008.

If it is his, there is some misleading information in this thread as he was most recently running the JBHR. Plus, as he would pronounce, he has every modification possible.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2008, 06:13 PM   #84
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by scalbert View Post
That looks similar to down4it car and he has been quite (not like him) for several weeks. Last post was 04-08-2008.

If it is his, there is some misleading information in this thread as he was most recently running the JBHR. Plus, as he would pronounce, he has every modification possible.
Wasn't he proud of the fact that he ran 91/93 with a race gas tune?
      04-26-2008, 06:28 PM   #85
Evo8MRto335I
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: can't list them all

I have had many turbos rebuilt in the past. This is nothing to be scare off, you should have no problems sending the turbo units to have then rebuilt for $250-$400 each depending the damage part. It is very unusual to have both turbos failiing simultaneously.

The picture just shows a lot of smoke out of that BMW but a bad seal/bad bearing could cause the turbo to just dump oil from the exhaust.

Also, In my experience when your turbo breaks it doesn't mean that the engine will fail at all..You might get smoky exhaust,dirt 02 sensors,maybe oily intercooler pipes but far from having to replace the whole engine.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2008, 06:29 PM   #86
scalbert
Major General
Rep

Wow, the drama and not entirely accurate information.

Anyway, lets dissect this as a single user turbo failure does not pronounce a wide spread epidemic.

First of all on turbo whine. Bearing whine is not evidence of impending failure. The severity of the whine needs to be taken into account as well as the conditions. Based on threads here, this is a known stock matter with these snails and BMW is aware. If light whine is occurring at light load and low revs, it may be normal. If it is loud all of the time, then there is a potential issue. But a single sound is not all encompassing. Heck, I have seen turbos whine for 100k miles before failing (non-BMW).

Additionally, running 15 PSI may not be the choke point which Orb has alluded previously. I am not saying it is or isn't. But there is evidence that it is not. If 18 - 19 PSI is held until redline, then 15 PSI is not a choke point. We have two individuals who have witnessed this occurring; not be, I am not that brave. That said, people do have options by running a tamer tune or even with the PROcede, just drop the UT values as revs climb ending with 0% - 50% at 7000 RPM.

Please, let’s stop designating a PSI level; as 15 PSI at 3000 RPM is not the same as 15 PSI at 7000 RPM. There is not real danger in running higher boost at lower revs on the turbos (maybe the engine as you are at peak torque). To generate the same boost at 7k revs as you did at 3k revs would take common shaft speeds about 3 times faster.

We also do not know the nature of the handling of the vehicle. Was it driven hard while cold and/or put away wet.

Here are some facts:

Failing turbos almost never damage the engine.

Failing turbos are not a guarantee oil clogged cats.

Lastly, why pay $14k to replace the turbos and catalytic converters when it already hade DP's? I mean, the warranty is already gone, why not take the opportunity to upgrade the turbos. You can get a custom setup for less than the cost of the cats and turbos. At a minimum, you could have a private shop handle everything for significantly less. IMO, this just does not add up as the owner had and exhaust and DP's and I am assuming they were catless. If so, only the rear cats would be replaced and at that point, why do it?

I guess if/when mine fail, regardless of whats available, options would be explored.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2008, 06:29 PM   #87
Digital.James
Colonel
Rep
Drives: GT4, Raptor.2, Tuono 1100F

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalbert View Post

I dont believe that's his car. He has a carbon fiber hood and trunk from what i recall.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2008, 06:30 PM   #88
scalbert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyBimmerDude View Post
Wasn't he proud of the fact that he ran 91/93 with a race gas tune?
I beleive he was running 100 octane.
Appreciate 0