E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Grr what an idiot (put castrol syntech 5w30 oil in..not me lol)

09-26-2012, 11:19 PM   #23
KiX1911
Blah
Canada
Rep
Drives: Awesomeness

Wow thanks for the feedback here guys. Honestly I gotta admit I was wrong here. I was leaning on the change it until i read some of these posts. I still think if it was my car I probably woulda freaked out and changed it. I have only used bmw oil in my veh so I wouldn't know any different.

After reading some of the posts, I guess I'll tell him he's safe for 10000 kms (this is what I do my oil changes at and I told him to do the same...a i know im anal lol )

Now just to clean this up the guys that are saying they put castrol syntechre using the black bottle oil that says full synthetic and is no long life approved correct?

Brad
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 05:24 AM   #24
Rydicule
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BBS View Post
I think you're missing my point. All the OP is getting here is OPINIONS...no facts. If you get an oil recommendation from a dealer and there is a problem then you will probably have a case. If you take your wounded engine in for service and explain that you got some opinions on a forum you will probably get laughed at. He wants to know if he needs to flush that new oil out. Has there been a definitive answer or some opinions?
No... actually, that's my point exactly.

Listen, I'm not here to argue with ignorance. If you believe that what you get when you ask something of a dealer or a mechanic is anything more than an opinion, I wish you the best of luck. I'd also encourage you to take the car to multiple dealers/mechanics and see how many contradicting "FACTS" you end up with.

As for your argument... you don't have a case. BMW dealers generally have lawyers or the means to hire them, and have already been educated on what they can and cannot say to customers to limit liability. Not to mention that legitimate cases take years and $$$$$$ to go through for the chance that you may get compensation.

Also, as to whether the OP needs to flush the oil or not, there ARE NO DEFINITIVE ANSWERS. It's a subjective question. The only thing you can get from anyone are opinions, and then you make your mind FOR YOURSELF given what people have told you and how much value you place on those answers.

For you: You value the opinions of dealers so much that you call anything they say a "fact".

For me: I'd prefer not to give SO much weight or credit to someone who has a monetary incentive one way or the other. For example, when I was 17, I took my car in for an oil change. The "fact" the dealer gave me was that because my car had reached 100k miles, I needed to have the engine flushed with their detergent at the discount cost of $97. I said no thanks, and the next "fact" I got was that if I didn't do the service, there was an 85% chance that my engine would fail before I got home, and I'd have to pay 10X that amount to have it fixed then.

I was 17 and it was my first car, so I paid the $97. Then I researched it on the internet when I got home. But I suppose the thousands of "opinions" I got on the matter telling me that I had been screwed just don't add up to the "facts" the dealer gave me, right?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 07:40 AM   #25
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

Never used BMW oil in any of my BMWs and never will. Have been using Castro 0w30 in every car I purchase except M3
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 08:16 AM   #26
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydicule View Post
No... actually, that's my point exactly.

Listen, I'm not here to argue with ignorance. If you believe that what you get when you ask something of a dealer or a mechanic is anything more than an opinion, I wish you the best of luck. I'd also encourage you to take the car to multiple dealers/mechanics and see how many contradicting "FACTS" you end up with.

As for your argument... you don't have a case. BMW dealers generally have lawyers or the means to hire them, and have already been educated on what they can and cannot say to customers to limit liability. Not to mention that legitimate cases take years and $$$$$$ to go through for the chance that you may get compensation.

Also, as to whether the OP needs to flush the oil or not, there ARE NO DEFINITIVE ANSWERS. It's a subjective question. The only thing you can get from anyone are opinions, and then you make your mind FOR YOURSELF given what people have told you and how much value you place on those answers.

For you: You value the opinions of dealers so much that you call anything they say a "fact".

For me: I'd prefer not to give SO much weight or credit to someone who has a monetary incentive one way or the other. For example, when I was 17, I took my car in for an oil change. The "fact" the dealer gave me was that because my car had reached 100k miles, I needed to have the engine flushed with their detergent at the discount cost of $97. I said no thanks, and the next "fact" I got was that if I didn't do the service, there was an 85% chance that my engine would fail before I got home, and I'd have to pay 10X that amount to have it fixed then.

I was 17 and it was my first car, so I paid the $97. Then I researched it on the internet when I got home. But I suppose the thousands of "opinions" I got on the matter telling me that I had been screwed just don't add up to the "facts" the dealer gave me, right?
You need help.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 10:51 AM   #27
GRLPWR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 11:09 AM   #28
Rydicule
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BBS View Post
You need help.

What I really need is a burger.

mmmm... burrrrrrger...
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 11:15 AM   #29
Gator335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E38 E39 E60 E70 E92

The fluids in the car are her lifeblood so whenever I need to change any of the fluids, I always take it to the dealer and let them use BMW-approved products, whether oil, brake fluid, coolant, whatever. Sure, it costs more, but the peace of mind I have makes it well worth it.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 11:29 AM   #30
darkw1sh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 E46 ///M3
Location: Los Angeles/Woodland Hills/Thousand Oaks/ ***Santa Cruz***

Here are some fact for those that thing BMW dealer oil is different from Castrol 0W-30.

http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp..._Sept_2011.pdf

as you can see on the spreadsheet the 0W30 is the BMW LL 01 Approved. 5W-40 would work as well. The0W30 is the same thing (EXACTLY) that BMW sells at the dealership.

The Viscosity of the oil in 5W 30 is a little greater with a lower variability from cold to hot.

just my .02
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 11:47 AM   #31
uniter
Black on Black on Black.
Rep
Drives: 335i/6mt Sport,Nav,Prem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328i M-Sport View Post
How are they going to determine a used oil type, assuming it has a reasonable weight? I seriously doubt a dealership would try to send oil to the lab. Not to mention that any decent oil of a reasonable weight can only cause very long term problems.

The things you read on luxury car forums sometimes. I would worry much more about cars with improperly offset wheels, stretched tires, bad alignments due to lowering, screwing up a sophisticated electric system due to poor stereo installations, etc.
Don't be naive.
When facing an expensive warranty claim like a new engine of course BMW is going to measure, test and examine every factor. OIL is one of the first things they'll look at.

LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::BIEHNTUNE FLASH::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::OS GIKEN 1.5 WAY::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 12:12 PM   #32
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328i M-Sport View Post
How are they going to determine a used oil type, assuming it has a reasonable weight? I seriously doubt a dealership would try to send oil to the lab. Not to mention that any decent oil of a reasonable weight can only cause very long term problems.

The things you read on luxury car forums sometimes. I would worry much more about cars with improperly offset wheels, stretched tires, bad alignments due to lowering, screwing up a sophisticated electric system due to poor stereo installations, etc.
I've seen that sneaky detective stuff on TV. They'll offer you a cigarette, and then cut it short, and get some DNA off the filter. I'm sure they can do the same thing with your car....those sneaky ba*******!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 01:26 PM   #33
apme123
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 Honda S2000

whats a "suntetic" dont u mean synthetic?
      09-28-2012, 08:04 AM   #34
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator335i View Post
The fluids in the car are her lifeblood so whenever I need to change any of the fluids, I always take it to the dealer and let them use BMW-approved products, whether oil, brake fluid, coolant, whatever. Sure, it costs more, but the peace of mind I have makes it well worth it.
Thats exactly what I do too.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 08:05 AM   #35
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydicule View Post
What I really need is a burger.

mmmm... burrrrrrger...
Burgers are good.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 10:33 AM   #36
FCBuff
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: '16 M235I XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerx View Post
Wow thanks for the feedback here guys. Honestly I gotta admit I was wrong here. I was leaning on the change it until i read some of these posts. I still think if it was my car I probably woulda freaked out and changed it. I have only used bmw oil in my veh so I wouldn't know any different.

After reading some of the posts, I guess I'll tell him he's safe for 10000 kms (this is what I do my oil changes at and I told him to do the same...a i know im anal lol )

Now just to clean this up the guys that are saying they put castrol syntechre using the black bottle oil that says full synthetic and is no long life approved correct?

Brad
Again, you must cut through the BS and there is plenty of it here...

At the normal auto parts stores, Castrol 0w-30 is the on Castrol Syntec (Edge)product that meets BMW LL-01. Castrol syntec(Edge) 5w-30 does not. Read the back of the bottle. BMW 5w-30 is made by Castrol, but is rebranded European spec oil and is not the same as normal Castrol Syntec 5w-30, does not meet HT/HS >3.5 for instance.

Mobil 1 0w-40 also meets BMW LL-01.

Of the readily available, easy to find over the counter products choices are

BMW 5w-30 (Dealer)
Castrol 0w-30 (Autozone/Pepboys only) Edited to 0w-30 sorry typo error!
Mobil 1 0w-40

I choose Mobil 1 0w-40 because it is easiest to locate, Probably the best most up to date oil anyway and can find it for around $6.50/Qt on sale or at Wally world.

There are other choices but much harder to find, Motul, Elf, Lubromoly,PU etc.

That's the down and dirty, careful with all of the "advice" and good luck.

Last edited by FCBuff; 09-28-2012 at 04:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 12:27 PM   #37
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCBuff View Post
Again, you must cut through the BS and there is plenty of it here...

At the normal auto parts stores, Castrol 0w-30 is the on Castrol Syntec (Edge)product that meets BMW LL-01. Castrol syntec(Edge) 5w-30 does not. Read the back of the bottle. BMW 5w-30 is made by Castrol, but is rebranded European spec oil and is not the same as normal Castrol Syntec 5w-30, does not meet HT/HS >3.5 for instance.

Mobil 1 0w-40 also meets BMW LL-01.

Of the readily available, easy to find over the counter products choices are

BMW 5w-30 (Dealer)
Castrol 0w-40 (Autozone/Pepboys only)
Mobil 1 0w-40

I choose Mobil 1 0w-40 because it is easiest to locate, Probably the best most up to date oil anyway and can find it for around $6.50/Qt on sale or at Wally world.

There are other choices but much harder to find, Motul, Elf, Lubromoly,PU etc.

That's the down and dirty, careful with all of the "advice" and good luck.
Some people think everything here is fact. About 37 posts and no difinitive answer. Wow....who knew.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 01:23 PM   #38
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: A metal box with a roundel

Alright, you want a definitive answer?

Here it is:

Any oil that's BMW LL01 approved CAN be used on BMWs. As far as the brand of oil goes, that really depends on the end user. I would just stick with either Castrol Syntec(Edge) 0W30 "EUROPEAN FORMULA", or Mobile1 0W40, or just buy the oil from dealership.

Does this lessen the confusion any?

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 10:45 AM   #39
galahad05
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '07 335i e90

Feelin' the love in here.
      10-01-2012, 08:31 AM   #40
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstmx_ryder View Post
Alright, you want a definitive answer?

Here it is:

Any oil that's BMW LL01 approved CAN be used on BMWs. As far as the brand of oil goes, that really depends on the end user. I would just stick with either Castrol Syntec(Edge) 0W30 "EUROPEAN FORMULA", or Mobile1 0W40, or just buy the oil from dealership.

Does this lessen the confusion any?
38 posts later. Thank you Sir.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 08:48 AM   #41
gm325xi
Private
Rep
Drives: 325XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerx View Post
So a buddy of mine just purchased a nice 328i coupe and decides to do the oil change himself. He he comes by and asked is he can use my oil adapter for the filter, I give it to him and hes off.

2 days later he brings me back my stuff and I asked how he did and he goes on how hes so surprised at the quality and yada yada. Then I asked him what oil he used and he told me what BMW recommended, Castrol syntec 5W-30.....and im like wait a sec was it in 1 l jugs (thinking it was GC) hes like no, it was on sale at Wal mart

So I told him that it had to say LL-01 on the back, he said he didnt even check he just say the BMW oil cap and went to go find the full suntetic castrol...(I dont even know why BMW does that)

My question is, is he says he wants to keep this for a long time, should he drain it and put the right oil? or change it at 5000kms and call it a day? I know my old corvette needed higher something and I had to get a additive for it, could he do something like that in the meantime?

I also told him to join this damn forum and start reading up...and dont you worry when he joins ill make it clear the mistake he did

Brad
its funny, i was at the dealership yesterday and spoke to my service manager about doing my own oil changes. he said as long as you use the oem oil filter it doesnt matter what oil you use as long as its full synthetic.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 03:41 PM   #42
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Run for 5k miles and dump it???
Appreciate 0