E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Renting a car for 3 months. Advice needed!

08-28-2013, 05:12 PM   #23
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 M3C xDrive; '13 e92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
That's not a bad idea either. If one doesn't mind the hassle of selling it. Then again, if it's titled in the OP's parent's name, costing just $3K-$4K, if selling it became too much hassle, they could just donate to a charity in B-more and take the tax deduction. (Or the OP could take it if he itemizes.)

You're right about the devaluation on old cars. My '93 318i was worth about $4K in '07 when I gave it away. They are still selling for $4K. BTW, though price-wise an old BMW would work just as well, I wouldn't recommend it for someone who's in school. Too expensive, to much risk of high repair costs. For functional transportation, a Honda et al like it is a wiser choice. Of course, if you one find an excellent E36, and I do mean excellent in every sense, for $4K, it'd be the thing to do for the risk is very low that it'll need a lot of costly repairs and and the E36s didn't have all the fancy gizmos on the motors that today's cars do.

I like your posts NemesisX. They are consistently thoughtful and are occasionally funny too.

Red Text: Can't speak for you, but I love my 335i enough that just waking up and driving it is a total joy. I drive rental cars a lot but I think I love driving my car the same even if I didn't. I don't need too much incentive to like it.

Green Text: It doesn't get more stealthily wealthy than walking. LOL

OP: For grocery shopping and general errand running, if you don't have wheels of your own, coordinating your excursions with a roommate or girlfriend isn't a bad way to go. Taxis are also plentiful in B-more.

Note: (I suspect you know this, but I don't know you, so I'm just saying..)
If you do happen to go grocery shopping with a male roommate, just be sure you each have your own shopping cart, unless, of course you are sleeping together, which is perfectly fine if you are, but if you aren't...Hopkins isn't that far from Mt. Washington. No point in getting some guy's hopes up unnecessarily. Ditto if you do so with a girl there's no way in Hell you'd want to be, in the minds of others, romantically linked to. No point in shutting off a good opportunity that might come knocking. (Exception to the rule: if the only thing in the cart is partying supplies - chips, drinks, etc.)
Thanks for the advise.

I'll probably stick to cabs and walking. (UBER cab seems great for longer trips). And use that driver for special occasions.

My roommate is a guy, but we are not romantically involved. We usually go shopping in groups (coed sometimes too) haha. I like your and NemesisX's comments!!
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 06:56 PM   #24
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
I like your posts NemesisX. They are consistently thoughtful and are occasionally funny too.

Red Text: Can't speak for you, but I love my 335i enough that just waking up and driving it is a total joy. I drive rental cars a lot but I think I love driving my car the same even if I didn't. I don't need too much incentive to like it.

Green Text: It doesn't get more stealthily wealthy than walking. LOL

OP: For grocery shopping and general errand running, if you don't have wheels of your own, coordinating your excursions with a roommate or girlfriend isn't a bad way to go. Taxis are also plentiful in B-more.

Note: (I suspect you know this, but I don't know you, so I'm just saying..)
If you do happen to go grocery shopping with a male roommate, just be sure you each have your own shopping cart, unless, of course you are sleeping together, which is perfectly fine if you are, but if you aren't...Hopkins isn't that far from Mt. Washington. No point in getting some guy's hopes up unnecessarily. Ditto if you do so with a girl there's no way in Hell you'd want to be, in the minds of others, romantically linked to. No point in shutting off a good opportunity that might come knocking. (Exception to the rule: if the only thing in the cart is partying supplies - chips, drinks, etc.)
Glad to be of service!
Appreciate 0