E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Condition based service - mileage problem

10-02-2012, 04:17 AM   #1
chedixon
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 YMB Coupe

Condition based service - mileage problem

Hi guys,
My cars a year old and has the service inclusive package but im having a fight on my hands with the dealer and BMW uk about the servicing.
About 5 months ago the dealers 'valeter' damaged the instrument cluster so the dealership replaced it. Before replacement it was indicating the service would be due when the mileage reached about 15k in total (was about 7k to go on the countdown or something like that).

After the cluster was replaced this went back to 15k remaining on the countdown until a service, the service manager said in time it will rectify itself.

Well as you can probably guess it didn't, I'm now over 14k and it's still saying 11000 until the next service. The dealership say that's ok (which I know isn't!) and they can't service it on the inclusive package until there's less than 1000 remaining on the countdown.

I contacted BMW uk and they say they can't help, they have no technical knowledge, it's serviced either on the countdown or 2years (which would mean 25k or 28k) and to try a different dealer!

Is there anywhere I can get this escalated? I have no idea why BMW make everything so difficult, the service both at the dealership and BMW uk has been persistently terrible over the whole year of ownership
      10-02-2012, 04:53 AM   #2
coopersim
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 420d

Another unfortunate example of BMW trading on their perceived image, I've had several experiences of poor customer service from dealers and BMW UK

Hope you get this sorted, I'd escalate to the service manager and then up to dealer principal if I were you
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 05:50 AM   #3
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D E90 LCI Msport

This totally doesn't surprise me. It's typical off all big companies, this kind of stupid situation.

I hope you get it sorted.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2148&pictureid=44259
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 10:10 AM   #4
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedixon View Post
After the cluster was replaced this went back to 15k remaining on the countdown until a service, the service manager said in time it will rectify itself.

What service was due before changing the odometer?
Oil, brake pads, inspection?

And what service is due now?
      10-02-2012, 10:57 AM   #5
chedixon
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 YMB Coupe

It's only a year old so it will be its first service, an inspection I, i assume, its the main service count down. I think the other values are ok although I have no idea what they should be but I don't think they count down like the main service indicator?
      10-02-2012, 02:43 PM   #6
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedixon View Post
It's only a year old so it will be its first service, an inspection I, i assume, its the main service count down. I think the other values are ok although I have no idea what they should be but I don't think they count down like the main service indicator?
Inspection does not matter.
I can see where you stand.
Odometer changed, service reset done. Keyfob picks up the value from there and you are waiting for this CBS to tell you when service is due.

I would simply forget it and follow as your dealer says.

However if you want to take it further, write a complaint to BMW UK with all the evidences.
      10-02-2012, 03:14 PM   #7
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

It would have been the first oil service at that mileage / age.

OP, each item has a separate countdown, but the 'miles to go' on the dash on start up shows what ever is next up, could be brakes, or fluid, or oil, or inspection etc.

You need to check via the OBD which item is 'next'

Or go to and indy and ask them to set the interval to 1000 miles to go, which you can do with any decent plugin machine.
Appreciate 0