E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > i think i just blew my tranny...

11-10-2012, 02:03 PM   #23
#Tee
Major General
Rep
Drives: yes

yes that would be my assumption, wont know for sure til the shop takes a look.

You can follow my builds on IG: Tee212
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 02:25 PM   #24
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 M-Tech 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~XxTeexX~ View Post
Ouchhh... thanks for helping! ill try to get to the shop asap. Hopefully I won't need a whole new replacement
Driving is like having sex.
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 02:53 PM   #25
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I posted an update, the tranny rattles in first second and neutral, the worst is second and neutral
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 03:17 PM   #26
#Tee
Major General
Rep

ya thats normal to hear, that rattle is associated with broken springs/rivets/friction material off of the clutch disc. Im about 98% sure this is your case, alot of the times during shifts the grind you hear is the clutching teeth engagement between gears from bad burnt/warped/syncros causing drive gears to improperly mesh.

That shift collar below would be the clutching teeth that grinds when the syncros (tapered cut) are abused and warped discolored which no longer has the ability to match engine/trans speeds for a smooth shift.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 03:22 PM   #27
#Tee
Major General
Rep

I used to do trans work like 10 years ago and pretty much lost my skills and watching this video should really help you know whats really goes on during a shift in a manual gear box

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 03:28 PM   #28
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
ya thats normal to hear, that rattle is associated with broken springs/rivets/friction material off of the clutch disc. Im about 98% sure this is your case, alot of the times during shifts the grind you hear is the clutching teeth engagement between gears from bad burnt/warped/syncros causing drive gears to improperly mesh.

That shift collar below would be the clutching teeth that grinds when the syncros (tapered cut) are abused and warped discolored which no longer has the ability to match engine/trans speeds for a smooth shift.
Would I then need a new clutch kit or only after ripping the tranny off should I find out?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 04:50 PM   #29
#Tee
Major General
Rep

Once they remove the trans and inspect the clutch youll know for sure. For the most part once they drive or hear the sound theyll know exactly why since its common.

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 09:11 PM   #30
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Once they remove the trans and inspect the clutch youll know for sure. For the most part once they drive or hear the sound theyll know exactly why since its common.
A friend of mine told me it happen to him but it just turned out to be loose rivets on the flywheel and they shot off. He told me it only cost around 150 for them to rip open the tranny and throw on new bolts. Hopefully I'm in the same boat as he was
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 09:35 AM   #31
thecadman99
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 330i 6mt spt bk/bk

whew! that was a relief- I thought this was going to be one of those "Eddie Murphy" threads...

Wow, sorry for that,^^ that was wrong- really...

Anyhooo- how in the world do all these magazines beat on cars and you never hear about failures like this?
      11-12-2012, 01:03 PM   #32
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecadman99 View Post
whew! that was a relief- I thought this was going to be one of those "Eddie Murphy" threads...

Wow, sorry for that,^^ that was wrong- really...

Anyhooo- how in the world do all these magazines beat on cars and you never hear about failures like this?
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! You sir made my afternoon! I never realized how wrong it sounded until you pointed it out!
You'll never hear about it because they have so much money that it'll be hidden from public eyes lol must be niceeee
Appreciate 0