E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > **First Time Tuners** Start Here** Official Misfire Thread| Updated!

10-21-2014, 01:00 PM   #265
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrstphr335 View Post
I change them about 2k miles ago, this has been going on over a month only happens at idle occasionally and I as well get jitter from time to time.

I have not gotten a misfire on WOT yet and I have been pushing the car frequently
Pull the spark plugs then and see if it's a leaky injector, the plug would be fouled with fuel. It could also be a leaking valve cover gasket. I know you said multiple misfires but it's worth the 20 minutes to pull the plugs and take a look and you may get lucky and find a quick answer.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 05:37 PM   #266
carl425
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

HELP! Replaced fried MOSFET and now it won't start

Hi, first post here on this awesome resource and I'm looking for some help...

So, I suffered the failed MOSFET syndrome that it seems is quite common to E90/92/93 with a MSD80, so I ordered 6 of them and replaced them all--well actually a local TV repair place did it for $50 (winning!).

Brought the boards home, reinstalled in the DME case and put everything back together. Tried to start it and though it cranks, it doesn't fire at all. I've checked EVERY connection (there aren't that many) and every logical fuse.

The P30BA that started it all is gone but now I get the following:
ECU
P2ACC, DME main relay, switch delay
P29F3
P29DB

I've checked the DME relay, if it's the one in the DME tray/compartment and the fuel pump fuse, and both are good. What else could be causing it to not get fuel (my assumed problem at this time)?

Any help with this is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by carl425; 10-22-2014 at 10:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 04:55 PM   #267
Eurocraze
Custom User Title
Rep
Drives: 09 335i

ill tell you that a bad or dirty vanos solenoid will not throw a specific code all the time...

however, if the intake side one is way off, you will have misfires and shitty idle/gas mileage/power. i changed mine at 62k, seems to be the time these things start to go...
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2014, 06:52 AM   #268
MM Performance
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Cp TiAg 6AT

I had misfire issues and throwing all kinds of codes, would only happen consistently when operating higher boost on tunes and rarely on stock tune and also would only happen when going WOT and usually on a pull from lower rpm. My issues were a bad coil pack on cylinder I found by swapping them and also I needed to clean my vanos solenoids. After 0 issues and running 20psi without a hiccup.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2014, 07:10 AM   #269
Esveesh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i coupe

What exactly is a misfire anyways?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 06:56 PM   #270
brosidelong
M3 Haha
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i

Garage List
Just had a misfire pop up in Cyl 1 last week. Car has been telling me to change the plugs for a while, but never got around to it with 60 hour work weeks. Bought new OEM Bosch plugs, not the BMW branded ones *before reading about the differences in insulator design*. Replaced all 6 today, and still getting misfires. Swapped the coils between #1 and #2, still no changes. Total drive after replacing the plugs is about a mile. Do I need to put some more drive time on the car for the ECU to adapt to the new plugs?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 12:00 PM   #271
beetle6986
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi, E70 X5 50, 04 Cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by brosidelong View Post
Just had a misfire pop up in Cyl 1 last week. Car has been telling me to change the plugs for a while, but never got around to it with 60 hour work weeks. Bought new OEM Bosch plugs, not the BMW branded ones *before reading about the differences in insulator design*. Replaced all 6 today, and still getting misfires. Swapped the coils between #1 and #2, still no changes. Total drive after replacing the plugs is about a mile. Do I need to put some more drive time on the car for the ECU to adapt to the new plugs?
Did you get a new misfire code after swapping the coils? You might have a bad injector.
2016 Mustang GT Roush Phase 2 with VMP 767 HP kit.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 08:13 PM   #272
udderfailure
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2x 2008 335xi

I've been hitting my head against the wall for about 3 months now trying to figure out this misfire. Here's the short story

Started misfiring about 6k miles ago on Cyl 1. Put in new spark plugs - no impact.
Took it to a shop and they suggested walnut blast so we did that - no impact.
Took it back and they replaced fuel injector on cylinder 1.

That seemed to fix it for about 5 months. Then it started misfiring above about 3k rpm.

Took it to the dealer and they pulled the codes and said it was the Low pressure fuel sensor (I knew that wasn't it since my other 335xi has had that code for a year or more) but I was willing to give it a try, so I switched it myself. Still misfired

Ran the codes again and it said both pre-cat O2's were bad... so i swapped those - still misfired.

At this point there are no codes and it still misfires under any real load (above 2.5k).

All I can figure it would be now is: The Fuel Injector (though the one in the affected cylinder was replaced 6k again), the ignition coil (i've swapped the coils and the misfire didn't more), or the low pressure fuel pump.

The one of those that makes the most sense is the fuel pump (unless i'm missing something - gasket issues, etc...) but I don't have a way to know for sure.

Any insight would be hugely appreciated! It's been a great learning experience to work on the car, but i'm ready to get it fixed (more to say my wife is, she's got the need for speed... or reasonable acceleration).

Edit* It is also getting about 8 mpg right now and it only misfires when it's in gear - it free revs just fine. The bad MPG makes me feel like it could some how be the injector. Is it common for injectors to get stuck open when they're new?

Last edited by udderfailure; 04-07-2015 at 07:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 08:47 PM   #273
phv628
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i xdrive

Post the codes that come up on your JB4 first!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 03:32 AM   #274
Dhillon92
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 335xi

Hey guys, I've tried to find out via searching but can't get a clear answer. So most of you seem to know which cylinder is misfiring, when I run map 5 and the boost goes to 16.5psi, on WOT my jb4 kicks me to map 4 with a cel, which then disappears, assuming its a misfire. After it has disappeared I can't see which cylinder was misfiring because it just kicks me to map 4 and clears it, what's the work around on this? It only happens sometimes but mostly at the wrong times LOL. Thanks!

Edit: I've changed my plugs less than 10k ago with Bosch ones, I'm pretty sure its a coil(s), so trying to isolate with which coil to start with.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 04:10 PM   #275
Gaijin909
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: e82 1M ST, Celica TA22, 240zg

Wink

I have reduced my plug gap a fraction to 0.022" or 0.5588 odd mm.
Misfire gone away....

Misfire where happening to different cyls, at different times etc.
Running Stage 3, new NGK R Iridiums.
Coils, HPFP,LPFP, Injectors done 60k miles never been replaced.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2015, 04:44 PM   #276
terryd5150
Head Fry Cook at McBurgertown
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
It's likely your spark plugs.
Jeff, you really think that's the culprit?

I have the cold start misfire, too (no tune on car).

Car starts very quickly: amazingly quickly, actually. Sometimes starting on the first turnover even after sitting in the garage for a week.

Cold idles fine, usually (have gotten a stuttered cold idle twice) - but if I get in it and drive away before its had time to pull vaccum and close the exhaust flap, it misfires for the first quarter mile or so.

After it warms up and closes the exhaust, it's fine: no misfires, even when putting the hammer down.

I'll be changing all the plugs and coils as routine maintenance regardless, but was just curious as if you thought it really could be that simple.

Last edited by terryd5150; 08-01-2015 at 04:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2015, 08:33 PM   #277
3000GT MR
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i/3000gt vr4

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryd5150 View Post
Jeff, you really think that's the culprit?

I have the cold start misfire, too (no tune on car).

Car starts very quickly: amazingly quickly, actually. Sometimes starting on the first turnover even after sitting in the garage for a week.

Cold idles fine, usually (have gotten a stuttered cold idle twice) - but if I get in it and drive away before its had time to pull vaccum and close the exhaust flap, it misfires for the first quarter mile or so.

After it warms up and closes the exhaust, it's fine: no misfires, even when putting the hammer down.

I'll be changing all the plugs and coils as routine maintenance regardless, but was just curious as if you thought it really could be that simple.
MT or AT? I know on my MT it would cold start fine but low low load like barley above idle to light cruise it would buck really bad and during med loads it would misfire. Once the car was warm it was fine until WOT i would get actual misfire codes and dropped cylinders. I have only seen this on stock copper plugs, never with iridiums.

Before it starts misfiring at WOT it would progressively get worse at light cruise and idle.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2015, 10:22 PM   #278
terryd5150
Head Fry Cook at McBurgertown
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3000GT MR View Post
MT or AT? I know on my MT it would cold start fine but low low load like barley above idle to light cruise it would buck really bad and during med loads it would misfire. Once the car was warm it was fine until WOT i would get actual misfire codes and dropped cylinders. I have only seen this on stock copper plugs, never with iridiums.

Before it starts misfiring at WOT it would progressively get worse at light cruise and idle.
This is on an AT xi model.

I just thought it was strange that it's only on cold idle; once it pulls vaccum, it's fine - even to WOT.

I attributed this to injector leak-down; I'll be changing all the plugs and coils due to mileage so I guess we'll see.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 04:49 AM   #279
3000GT MR
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i/3000gt vr4

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryd5150 View Post
This is on an AT xi model.

I just thought it was strange that it's only on cold idle; once it pulls vaccum, it's fine - even to WOT.

I attributed this to injector leak-down; I'll be changing all the plugs and coils due to mileage so I guess we'll see.
When you do your plugs look at the porcelain around the electrode. If its black you most likely have a leaking injector in that cylinder. If its just dark and doesn't have soot on it then its usually a worn plug. Thats been my experience anyways.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2015, 03:02 AM   #280
Beans562
Rep
Drives: 335i SDN

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQ335i View Post
Went to take my car out for the first time again today since it was nice out and immediately knew something was wrong. The car took a couple cranks to start up, had a very rough idle, and could definitely tell it was misfiring. Read the codes via the JB4 and told me the following:

29CD Misfirings, cylinder 1
29CF Misfirings, cylinder 3
29CE Misfirings, cylinder 2
29CC Misfirings, several cylinders

Spark Plugs were just changed by the dealer about 5,000 miles ago, HPFP was replaced about 10,000 miles ago, and Injectors did not fall under the recall according to the dealer. Do you think the Spark Plugs would go bad that quickly? If I replace the Coilpacks would you suggest replacing all Spark Plugs as well? Even with the Spark Plugs being pretty new? Thanks!
My car just threw the exact codes. Anyone know what it is? I tried replacing the sparkplugs and coils. Codes still pop up, going to try bank 1 o2 sensors tmw.

Last edited by Beans562; 08-22-2015 at 03:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 09:28 AM   #281
yawn
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

I think I'm having misfires but not entirely certain. Feels like loss of traction but the traction control light doesn't come on. Looks alot like this:

And there are no codes thrown either. Recently had carbon cleaned from intake valves, and plugs are about 10,000kms. Tends to happen in high gear and going WOT. When there is gradual acceleration there is no issue. I have a pretty smooth idle too, no hiccups. Any ideas?

Also, checked my plugs the other day and if I bring up plug 1 and 2 right up to my nose, I can smell some fuel. Wondering if my injectors are leaking. However, I did some logs and found that my lambda 1 and 2 (AFR) were both a constant 235.1 upon deceleration which leads me to believe that the injectors are NOT leaking. If there was a leak, these figures would fluctuate and deviate, and not be identical. However, I'm also wondering how reliable the logging data is in terms of being able to detect a leaky injector. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by yawn; 08-26-2015 at 09:31 AM.. Reason: Additional info
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2015, 04:58 AM   #282
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

So have most guys here switched to Delphi coils and NGK plugs?
      08-30-2015, 07:25 AM   #283
Jnat
DisplacementReplacement
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

I'm experiencing warm start long crank and rough idle afterwards with no codes? I'm thinking it's an injector but the plugs aren't showing me that at this juncture?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 07:52 AM   #284
mg4734
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M-Sport Coupe

Got a misfire merging onto the highway (at WOT) the other day. Only codes I got were misfire cyl. 5 and fuel pump plausibility. I know the fuel pump code doesn't always mean something is wrong, but I've never had it appear before. Thoughts? Plugs are 20K old so they may be due, though I was leaning towards coils (at 55k miles). Hoping its not a fuel pump...
2009 E92 335i M-Sport - MHD Stage One - BMW Performance Exhaust - BMS Oil Catch Can - CDV Delete - K&N Panel Filter - Arc Angel H8 bulbs - Gloss Black Kidney Grills - Painted Reflectors - VRSF Charge Pipe
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2015, 10:08 AM   #285
atschmale
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is DCT

I've been having low/no boost for a few weeks now. Checked vacuum lines and intercooler connections, and everything seemed fine. Took the car in today (literally sitting in the dealership now) because the car had a nasty misfire episode in multiple cyls yesterday and again this morning. They ran a test and said there is no boost leak, the problem is 3 bad coil which is causing both the misfire issue and the low boost problem. I've never heard of bad coils causing boost issues. Can anyone weigh in on this?

Edit: I'll add I've never had a 30FF code

Last edited by atschmale; 09-12-2015 at 10:16 AM.. Reason: add'l info
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2015, 07:36 AM   #286
achu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

hi from the UK, really need some help!

2007 E93 335i on 77k with JB4

i'm having a misfire issue too but it's a strange one... i really don't want to make a long ass post as i know they're annoying to read!

basically if i put my foot down more than about 50%, i get a loss in power (almost like the traction control kicked in) and then a misfire... the engine management light doesn't come up though... nor does the limp mode message...

after about 20 seconds of misfiring at idle, the car goes back to normal... and drives like normal if i drive gently... i can also get the misfire to go if i just restart it...

also when driving a bit rapidly (but not putting my foot down) i can feel tiny moments of loss of power, almost like the car is hesitant... it's so slight a passenger probably won't feel it but i can... and it happens around once or twice every 15mins...

the crank is snappy and sweet, idle is very steady and revving in neutral is perfect all the way to redline... i have a JB4 installed (i was on map 5) but this happens at map 0... i've replaced my coil packs (they were the originals) and spark plugs (might as well) but no joy...

when i checked the codes the first time, i had:
29DC Cylinder injection switch-off
29CF Misfirings, cylinder 3
29D0 Misfirings, cylinder 4
29CC misfire, multiple cylinder

but I think these may have been stored from before... I cleared them and did a WOT pull to get the problem to happen and read the codes immediately after:
29DC Cylinder injection switch-off

I'm thinking it's the LPFP but I don't want to guess as I don't have the time and this car is my daily......

any help would be greatly appreciated!

(some extra info: the car had a few hiccups over the last few months under WOT - the car would lose power, EML would come on and then go in a minute... this happened about 3 times in 4 months... also every now and then, if rev up slowly but all the way to 4k or so in gear 2 (going up a hill or something), the limp mode light comes up and then goes in 5mins or so)

Facebook: Achu Ckr|Twitter: AchuCkr|Instagram: AchuCKR|Flickr: AchuCKR|G+: achu.ckr
THE BUILD THREAD|COMPILATION OF PHOTOS
Appreciate 0