E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Can a Sirius radio and a CD changer both fit in the left trunk panel?

12-29-2010, 12:51 AM   #1
jonnones
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2016 340i (F30)

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Can I reroute satellite wires from the left trunk liner to the center trunk liner?

I have an E90 with sat prep, but the hook-ups are in the left (driver) side trunk panel, near where the CD changer would go (I currently do not have a disk changer).

My question is can I install both, or just one or the other here? I'm considering Sirius right now, but would like to have the option for a disk changer at some point.

Attached are the official instructions for this style install. I wonder whether rerouting the sat wires to the main trunk compartment is an option (it would save me money on a new left panel anyway).

UPDATE

You can reroute the wires to the center compartment if you don't want to buy the new liner and don't have a CD changer (or want one). See my updates at the bottom of this thread.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Sirius-Install-Nov-2006-1[1].pdf (1.42 MB, 179 views)

Last edited by jonnones; 01-28-2011 at 05:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 09:40 AM   #2
GenePoole
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

If you have sat prep, it should be under the trunk floor panel forward of the bin under the flap. The whole thing lifts out and you should see an open spot to the left (looking into the trunk) of the MULF box.

Sorry for the blurry photo. I was trying to hold a light with one hand and the phone camera with the other. There's a ham radio installed in mine where the SAT radio would go. Also, the orange fiber optic cable is custom and goes to my Dension GW500 in the center; I didn't have sat prep, or I could have tapped that fiber for the Dension:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 02:26 PM   #3
jonnones
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Picture of sat hook-ups under the left trunk panel

For a certain period of time, BMW put these hook-ups under the left (driver's side) trunk panel, which is why I must use the previously attached instructions.

The instructions say to put the reciever bracket over the CD changer bracket, so I'm concerned that this installation is one or the other--and not both. Has anyone had to install their Sirius receiver under the left trunk panel.

Here's a picture of my hook-ups.
Attached Images

Last edited by jonnones; 12-29-2010 at 08:14 PM.. Reason: Picture didn't work.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 04:09 PM   #4
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
I think there is a different liner that allows more space.

The pre-wiring should be long enough to reach the center of the trunk. Just remove your left side trunk liner and re-route the wires to the center, like in post #2.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 04:11 PM   #5
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenePoole View Post
If you have sat prep, it should be under the trunk floor panel forward of the bin under the flap. The whole thing lifts out and you should see an open spot to the left (looking into the trunk) of the MULF box.

Sorry for the blurry photo. I was trying to hold a light with one hand and the phone camera with the other. There's a ham radio installed in mine where the SAT radio would go. Also, the orange fiber optic cable is custom and goes to my Dension GW500 in the center; I didn't have sat prep, or I could have tapped that fiber for the Dension:
You can tap into a fiber optic signal?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 04:15 PM   #6
jonnones
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
I think there is a different liner that allows more space.

The pre-wiring should be long enough to reach the center of the trunk. Just remove your left side trunk liner and re-route the wires to the center, like in post #2.
I think I'll give that a go. I don't really want to buy the new left trunk liner until I decide on a CD Changer. Not sure why BMW would put these sat hook-ups over here though. I'd hate to find out later that this is because I can only hook up one or the other anyway.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 09:21 PM   #7
GenePoole
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Quote:
You can tap into a fiber optic signal?
With a SAT prep, there would be a fiber cable in the area where my ham radio is and I could have connected the Dension to that. Instead, I had to run my own fiber cables to the distribution connector under the side of the rear seat. To plug into that block, I had to get some special tools and a fiber polishing puck as well as the fiber cable ends that plug into the block.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 09:14 PM   #8
330MX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnones View Post
I have an E90 with sat prep, but the hook-ups are in the left (driver) side trunk panel, near where the CD changer would go (I currently do not have a disk changer).

My question is can I install both, or just one or the other here? I'm considering Sirius right now, but would like to have the option for a disk changer at some point.

Attached are the official instructions for this style install. I wonder whether rerouting the sat wires to the main trunk compartment is an option (it would save me money on a new left panel anyway).
Hi! You have to buy the new trunk liner. You can choose to install both the CD changer and the Sirius module or just one. I installed just the Sirius module and there is space for the CD changer as well. You MUST buy the new trunk liner. The new line provides a space for the CD changer/sat module "tray" that you will install.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 09:45 PM   #9
jonnones
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330MX View Post
Hi! You have to buy the new trunk liner. You can choose to install both the CD changer and the Sirius module or just one. I installed just the Sirius module and there is space for the CD changer as well. You MUST buy the new trunk liner. The new line provides a space for the CD changer/sat module "tray" that you will install.
Thanks so much for the info! So it sounds like there isn't enough slack to reroute the sat wires to the center trunk compartment to avoid buying the new left-side liner. Guess I'll just have to bite the bullet, but it's good to know that I can fit both the CD changer and Sirius receiver under the new liner. Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2011, 02:16 PM   #10
angasreid
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Why not use Sirius and get an iPod?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2011, 02:44 PM   #11
jonnones
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
I might not get a CD changer at all, so that's an option. However, I lose so much sound quality with an iPod, I'm probably just going to rotate disks in the single disk changer for the most part. I still might try to reroute the sat wires to the main trunk compartment just to see if it's possible. I'd save trunk space and avoid buying the new left-side liner altogether. If I do, I'll update the thread.

Last edited by jonnones; 01-01-2011 at 10:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2011, 07:49 PM   #12
lopealle
Resident Black Guy
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: Lion

Garage List
2006 M5  [10.00]
You guys have made my day about this satellite radio talk. I'm in the process of trying to remove mine from my trunk I have all the cables disconnected but the pink wire. I'm not sure if the cable is twist and pull or what, but I can't disconnect from the module at all. My plans are to remove the module and place it in my E60 M5 (i heard they share the same module) Can somebody post pics,video, or on how to remove this pink cable. Also by removing this module myself would that mess up anything when I start the car i.e. fault lights and stuff like that?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2011, 08:35 PM   #13
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lopealle View Post
You guys have made my day about this satellite radio talk. I'm in the process of trying to remove mine from my trunk I have all the cables disconnected but the pink wire. I'm not sure if the cable is twist and pull or what, but I can't disconnect from the module at all. My plans are to remove the module and place it in my E60 M5 (i heard they share the same module) Can somebody post pics,video, or on how to remove this pink cable. Also by removing this module myself would that mess up anything when I start the car i.e. fault lights and stuff like that?
There is a small clip that hold it on. You need to press the clip while you pull out. It doesn't twist or anything.....actually I think you can't twist it at all.

Also you need to have the module coded out of your E9x and coded into your E60. Otherwise, your MOST system will be disrupted in your E9x and nothing in your MOST system will work.....radio, BMW assist, etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2011, 09:25 PM   #14
lopealle
Resident Black Guy
Zimbabwe
Rep

Garage List
2006 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
There is a small clip that hold it on. You need to press the clip while you pull out. It doesn't twist or anything.....actually I think you can't twist it at all.

Also you need to have the module coded out of your E9x and coded into your E60. Otherwise, your MOST system will be disrupted in your E9x and nothing in your MOST system will work.....radio, BMW assist, etc.
I don't completely understand what you mean by having the MOST coded. Are you saying that after I disconnect the module from the E90 I have to get the car coded again? I know for sure that the E60 is going to have to be coded.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2011, 10:23 PM   #15
jonnones
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
I hope I'm not speaking out of turn here, but I installed Bluetooth and know a little about the MOST Bus junction box for the fiber optic cables. I think you'll have to pull down the back seats to access the MOST Bus junction box and loop out the Sirius connection (see this Sirius install DIY thread for info about the MOST bus box: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1915).

For the E60, you'll likely have to loop in the sat radio through the MOST bus junction box, and then have the dealer code the car for sat radio.

Here's another thread about removing a Sirius radio receiver if it helps: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=301678.

Last edited by jonnones; 01-28-2011 at 12:11 PM.. Reason: Removed info about reversing coding.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2011, 08:31 AM   #16
lopealle
Resident Black Guy
Zimbabwe
Rep

Garage List
2006 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
I hope I'm not speaking out of turn here, but I installed Bluetooth and know a little about the MOST Bus junction box for the fiber optic cables. I think you'll have to do two things to your E9x after you remove the module if you want all of your audio systems to work correctly.

1. You'll have to pull down the back seats to access the MOST Bus junction box and loop out the Sirius connection (see this Sirius install DIY thread for info about the MOST bus box: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1915).
2. Take the car to a dealer to reverse the coding for sat radio.

For the E60, you'll likely have to loop in the sat radio through the MOST bus junction box, and then have the dealer code the car for sat radio.

Here's another thread about removing a Sirius radio receiver if it helps: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=301678.

I thought you only had to do all the looping if the car wasn't pre-wired. They are both prewired for the satellite radio.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 02:23 PM   #17
jonnones
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Unfortunately, the pre-wiring is just that, wiring. The car isn't set up to read the satellite radio, Bluetooth, etc., until you connect the fiber optic wires for these devices. They work kind of like older Christmas lights, meaning that if you have one broken string, none of it will work. So your satellite radio isn't in the loop yet, because it would break the string without the module. Make sense? I know this is the case for my E90, but you should probably call your dealer just to make sure.

Open the PDF in this thread to see how the MOST Bus junction box works: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1915.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 07:58 PM   #18
jonnones
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Update on satellite wires rerouting

Quote:
I might not get a CD changer at all, so that's an option. However, I lose so much sound quality with an iPod, I'm probably just going to rotate disks in the single disk changer for the most part. I still might try to reroute the sat wires to the main trunk compartment just to see if it's possible. I'd save trunk space and avoid buying the new left-side liner altogether. If I do, I'll update the thread.
I was able to reroute the satellite wires from the left (driver's) side trunk compartment to the center trunk compartment, next to the TCU Bluetooth unit. It just took a small knife, some patience, and some gentle tugging.

In doing this, I lost some slack in the wires and had to get creative when attaching the Sirius unit to the bracket (65 11 0 406 351). I couldn't attach it the way it was intended. I had to turn it 90 degrees counterclockwise so the connections pointed toward the back seat, screw one bolt in, and use two-sided tape in other areas. The Sirius unit sits a bit slanted, but it's still flat on the bracket, and stays put.

I looped in the unit connecting the fiber optic cables to the MOST Bus junction box. All audio works fine, so everything seems to be good there. Tomorrow I will bring car to a dealer for coding, and then start enjoying my free year of Sirius!
Attached Images

Last edited by jonnones; 01-28-2011 at 05:40 PM..
Appreciate 0