E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Dyno Day - Some good, some bad & certainly lucky.

07-31-2007, 12:40 AM   #1
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Dyno Day - Some good, some bad & certainly lucky.

Had the chance to meet Captn' Oz today at the Tune House in Marrickville where we were having our toy's dyno'd.

Captn' Oz has the proceed with the earlier map, mine is running the latest map.

Anyway the coupe was set up first (after a damn long time waiting) and he got an average over 3 runs of 232 km at the wheels. Not sure what the drive train losses are with the steptronic but assuming 20% that would mean 278kw at the flywheel. Not a bad increase over stock.

After the Capt'n left we bolted up the sedan and let it rip. My runs were not as smooth as the car threw a couple of codes, interesting they were related to the tire sensors and ABS? Mine had an average over 3 runs of 234kw at the wheels which would equate to 280kw at the flywheel assuming 20% for drive train losses.

Will post copies of the dyno graphs when the people email them to me.

So time came to leave and the operators moved my car to the entry area where I jumped in to rush back to the office. I started the car and started to move when I noticed the codes, so for some really dumb stupid arsed reason I decided to get the code reader from the boot to reset the thing.

In my haste I forgot to actually use the handbrake or select park and dived out of the drivers door. Of course the car started moving forward so I tried to lean in and slip it into neutral. Unfortunatly the door hit the piller before either of these things occured, trapping me between the pillar and inside of the door.

I then managed to hit the stop button and one of the guys helped by moving it to neutral so they could roll the car back and free me from my not so pretty position. Lucky my hips and shoulders took most of the force, if it had of been an arm or leg I would have been royally stuffed.

So my car is off to BMW @ Artarmon for a new door, mirror, probably the glass etc etc.

Happily I was able to remove the proceed in about 20mins (despite shaking hands) so it's good to see my time is improving.

Pics of my new style door;
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-31-2007, 12:56 AM   #2
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 325Ci Individual

Garage List
sucks, i know exactly how a belted in door feels

sounds like an informative day you had though... were you both happy with your results?
      07-31-2007, 01:51 AM   #3
manyways
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M-Sport

mate, sorry to hear

luckily you didnt damage yourself any worse
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2007, 02:32 AM   #4
danielt
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2016 F87 M2 / 2013 M5 LCI comp

Garage List
sorry to hear about your misfortune, but thanks for the info on the procede
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2007, 02:43 AM   #5
daninsyd
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

oh man i feel your pain... "oh the humanity!!!"

i got 230 too... going in this Thursday to try exede chip to find out if that gives more, will let you know the results.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2007, 02:43 AM   #6
VGR00
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 430i Gran Coupe

It truely is terrible to see this but luckly you didn't suffer any physical damage to yourself. A car can be mended faster than a bone. Good luck with it.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2007, 04:24 AM   #7
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by daninsyd View Post
oh man i feel your pain... "oh the humanity!!!"

i got 230 too... going in this Thursday to try exede chip to find out if that gives more, will let you know the results.
Will be interesting to see how the excede runs, given you have a manual (in theory less drive train losses) and the exhaust mods I'm surprised captn' oz and I did so well out otherwise stock cars.

Once I get the door replaced (goes in tomorrow) I will give it a run on the same dyno without the proceed (since I pulled it out after the door problem just to be safe). Then I'll give it another run with V2 when it arrives so should have some good data on improvements between stock, V1.47 and V2.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2007, 05:08 AM   #8
e93
open air motoring at its best
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW E93 335i Convertible

Garage List
2007 e93 335i  [0.00]
Mate I'm really sorry to hear that.

I once had a 911 and decided to warm it up in the garage. I could here the phone ringing in the house so dashed in to answer it. While I was talking I heard a screech of brakes and then a loud crash. I said to the caller that I'd have to go as there had been an accident outside my house. Yes - you guessed it - no handbrake on and the thumping vibration from the Porsche at idle was enough to get the car rolling out of the garage. My sloping driveway ensured it picked up speed and shot across the road, over the kerb and into the neighbours yard where a tree conveniently stopped the car on its journey into the neighbours house. The screeching brakes came from a car driven by an elderly lady who luckily avoided the out of control Porsche. I was lucky damage wise cause the car lined up the tree and made a direct impact with one of the large black bumper overriders. Crushed it like a can - but that was the only damage. Sooooooooo lucky didn't kill someone.

BTW - my wife once drove into the gargage with the passenger door open. She couldn't figure out what made the loud bang. I pointed out maybe it was the door (which looked like yours). Oh she said - must have left it open when I got the groceries out!!!!!!!
2007 335i Convertible || Black Sapphire | Cream Beige | Burr Walnut | 6 AT Paddles | Comfort Access | Aluminium Pedals | Aero Front Spoiler | Remus Quads | KW V3 Coilovers | Velocity V-715 wheels | M3 Rear Lip Spoiler || On Order || || Wishlist || ||
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2007, 05:41 AM   #9
CaptOz
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911 Carrera S

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOPALX View Post
Had the chance to meet Captn' Oz today at the Tune House in Marrickville where we were having our toy's dyno'd.
It was great to finally meet you Wopalx.

What a day of misfortune. On the way out to the dyno I was a witness in a bad motorbike accident on Parramatta Road. I was one car away from being involved. The Rescue Helicopter even landed to help.

I was behind the red ute.

Quote:
So my car is off to BMW @ Artarmon for a new door, mirror, probably the glass etc etc.
They will do an “invisible” job.

Quote:
After speaking to Wopalx on the phone after the incident I was happy to find that he was ok. What a day. Luckily Wopalx is one tough guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daninsyd View Post
Jim said you were going in. I am very interested to see how the Exede goes Dan.

Quote:
…… I'm surprised captn' oz and I did so well out otherwise stock cars.
I am also glad our results were within 1% of each other. It means we can have an accurate gauge of future mods. Bring on version 2 !!

Quote:
Once I get the door replaced (goes in tomorrow) I will give it a run on the same dyno without the proceed (since I pulled it out after the door problem just to be safe). Then I'll give it another run with V2 when it arrives so should have some good data on improvements between stock, V1.47 and V2.
It will be good for all of us to see KW at the wheels for a standard car.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2007, 05:48 AM   #10
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e93 View Post

BTW - my wife once drove into the gargage with the passenger door open. She couldn't figure out what made the loud bang. I pointed out maybe it was the door (which looked like yours). Oh she said - must have left it open when I got the groceries out!!!!!!!
How can a bloke out do that!!!!

I had a GF years ago who decided to fill up the water in the car when filling with gas. Anyway she removed the 'large black cap' and proceeded to put 6x gerry cans of water into it until it was full to the brim.

After paying for the gas she tried to start and drive off, of couse the engine could not cope with being full of water and the car died .

Took about 15 oil and filter changes to get it running again.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2007, 06:28 AM   #11
e93
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2007 e93 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
How can a bloke out do that!!!!

I had a GF years ago who decided to fill up the water in the car when filling with gas. Anyway she removed the 'large black cap' and proceeded to put 6x gerry cans of water into it until it was full to the brim.

After paying for the gas she tried to start and drive off, of couse the engine could not cope with being full of water and the car died .

Took about 15 oil and filter changes to get it running again.
hahahaha

BTW - dyno results are impressive - didn't mean to make lite of a very serious topic!

One more then - I was waiting to pay for petrol the other day and a young girl was in line in front of me. The attendant asked her which pump - she pointed to her car - oh he said - the Diesel pump. DIESEL she exclaimed as she glanced out at her Corolla!!!!!!
2007 335i Convertible || Black Sapphire | Cream Beige | Burr Walnut | 6 AT Paddles | Comfort Access | Aluminium Pedals | Aero Front Spoiler | Remus Quads | KW V3 Coilovers | Velocity V-715 wheels | M3 Rear Lip Spoiler || On Order || || Wishlist || ||

Last edited by e93; 07-31-2007 at 06:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2007, 05:14 PM   #12
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e93 View Post
One more then - I was waiting to pay for petrol the other day and a young girl was in line in front of me. The attendant asked her which pump - she pointed to her car - oh he said - the Diesel pump. DIESEL she exclaimed as she glanced out at her Corolla!!!!!!
hope she was good looking
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2007, 06:42 PM   #13
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 325Ci Individual

Garage List
oh i heard about that bike accident that's teh downside of bikes - when you come off, you come off a doozy happened to my parents once too when they had their bike
      08-01-2007, 03:11 AM   #14
e93
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2007 e93 335i  [0.00]
I was at the panel shop today (see my roof malfunction thread) and couldn't help feeling that - all things considered - Dans wheel damage - Wopalxs door damage and even my nice new dent pales into insignificance compared to this guys "uninsured" M3. $23,000 repair bill.........
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-01-2007, 06:30 AM   #15
1q2w3e4r
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Rep
Drives: BMW

When is he selling the car?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2007, 07:09 AM   #16
CaptOz
Captain
Australia
Rep

Here is the Dyno result for my car. Tunehouse were great and a very professional operation.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2007, 08:43 AM   #17
1q2w3e4r
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Rep
Drives: BMW

How come they did the dyno in 3rd gear? Wasn't the ramp rate enough to run over 200k?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2007, 05:33 PM   #18
CaptOz
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1q2w3e4r View Post
How come they did the dyno in 3rd gear? Wasn't the ramp rate enough to run over 200k?
I don't know why the dyno was done that way. Perhaps Wopalx knows.

The owner Jim appears to be a very smart guy when it comes to dyno's so there must be a valid reason for it.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2007, 06:41 AM   #19
OZMOD335i
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 530d Sedan

Garage List
Quote:

Captn' Oz has the proceed with the earlier map, mine is running the latest map.

Anyway the coupe was set up first (after a damn long time waiting) and he got an average over 3 runs of 232 km at the wheels. Not sure what the drive train losses are with the steptronic but assuming 20% that would mean 278kw at the flywheel. Not a bad increase over stock.

After the Capt'n left we bolted up the sedan and let it rip. My runs were not as smooth as the car threw a couple of codes, interesting they were related to the tire sensors and ABS? Mine had an average over 3 runs of 234kw at the wheels which would equate to 280kw at the flywheel assuming 20% for drive train losses.

Will post copies of the dyno graphs when the people email them to me.

So time came to leave and the operators moved my car to the entry area where I jumped in to rush back to the office. I started the car and started to move when I noticed the codes, so for some really dumb stupid arsed reason I decided to get the code reader from the boot to reset the thing.

In my haste I forgot to actually use the handbrake or select park and dived out of the drivers door. Of course the car started moving forward so I tried to lean in and slip it into neutral. Unfortunatly the door hit the piller before either of these things occured, trapping me between the pillar and inside of the door.

I then managed to hit the stop button and one of the guys helped by moving it to neutral so they could roll the car back and free me from my not so pretty position. Lucky my hips and shoulders took most of the force, if it had of been an arm or leg I would have been royally stuffed.

Happily I was able to remove the proceed in about 20mins (despite shaking hands) so it's good to see my time is improving.

Have you guys changed your exhausts yet?

I'm sure that would make a heap of difference. I changed the exhaust then went and got an Exede mod. Unfortunately I didn't dyno it when it was stock.

Did you both dyno the cars stock and what did they come in at?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2007, 04:29 PM   #20
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZMOD335i View Post
Have you guys changed your exhausts yet?

I'm sure that would make a heap of difference. I changed the exhaust then went and got an Exede mod. Unfortunately I didn't dyno it when it was stock.

Did you both dyno the cars stock and what did they come in at?
No exhaust as yet, will be looking into that after I get an LSD fitted. That is prooving problematic as my car may have the welded crown (it was built right on the cusp of the change), am trying to have my sales person find out for me but it might take a while.

Mine will be dyno'd again when i get it back from the repairers for the door as I removed the proceed before it went in.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2007, 10:59 PM   #21
OZMOD335i
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 530d Sedan

Garage List
Quote:
No exhaust as yet, will be looking into that after I get an LSD fitted. That is prooving problematic as my car may have the welded crown (it was built right on the cusp of the change), am trying to have my sales person find out for me but it might take a while.

Mine will be dyno'd again when i get it back from the repairers for the door as I removed the proceed before it went in.
Let me know how you go with the LSD. I'm also looking to do the same. My dealer is getting me a quote on a motorsort LSD. What build date do you need to be after? I didn't realise there was any problems with upgrading. Have you had any quotes yet?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2007, 12:46 AM   #22
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZMOD335i View Post
Let me know how you go with the LSD. I'm also looking to do the same. My dealer is getting me a quote on a motorsort LSD. What build date do you need to be after? I didn't realise there was any problems with upgrading. Have you had any quotes yet?
March 07 was the change date according to my sources. Mine was built around the 1st week of March so is on the cusp so to speak.

I did not realise that a deal would do this for you? Sydney BMW refuse to do anything that is not BMW genuine, even to the point of not wanting to hard wire in my road angel.
Appreciate 0