E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Some E90 Questions and Opinions?

09-22-2016, 06:15 PM   #1
Steevo
Turbo Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 335i

Some E90 Questions and Opinions?

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and not yet an E9x owner. I have some questions and would like some opinions on things if anyone would be willing to help out a newbie.

I currently own an individual E46 touring, stehlgrau 2001 325i factory 5-speed with no sunroof, manual/sport/heated taninrot interior, HK sound, etc... Anyways what I'm getting to is I have always been a very diehard 3-pedal guy, I went 1,300 miles out of my way to buy this touring over another similar touring that was auto. That's how serious it is.
But now that I'm looking into an E90 335i, I have heard mixed reviews on the auto's. I have been looking for the right E90 for about 2 months now, and I found one that is EXACTLY what I would like - but it's an automatic. Now I have some personal pro's to having an automatic, but can anybody provide some other pro's and con's to the auto vs. the manual? It's a 2010 335i fully loaded Monaco blue on saddle brown. 82k miles and was a CPO that expired less than a year ago, so I feel like the maintenance has been taken care of like it should. I will be getting the carfax soon for the car.

Now otherwise, how do you guys feel about the auto vs the manual? I've seen people enjoy the auto a lot with the Alpina B3 TCM flash (I would definitely be doing this) but I also think I would miss the 3-pedals. Is the auto considerably faster; or get considerably better MPG's than manuals, like I've heard? Are they as reliable as the manuals, as far as how long they last without serious issues?

And also, I know 2010 was the first year of the N55 in E90's, but was it ALL 2010 year models have the N55 or just after a certain production date? Trying to find out if its an N54 or N55 and the owner doesn't seem very sure of it.

Thank you guys! Looking forward to being a part of the E90post forums
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 06:27 PM   #2
JM98
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

FBO stock turbo auto will kill the equivalent manual all day in a straight line, but if you're looking to go single turbo or love hitting the canyons, I'd definitely go for the manual
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 06:34 PM   #3
Steevo
Turbo Noob
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM98 View Post
FBO stock turbo auto will kill the equivalent manual all day in a straight line, but if you're looking to go single turbo or love hitting the canyons, I'd definitely go for the manual
What do you mean by FBO? And man I wish I could hit the canyons, but I live on the east coast so that's not necessarily my worry. Neither is beating people in a straight line realistically, I just want something nicer and faster than I have to lower and play with lol.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 06:37 PM   #4
JM98
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steevo View Post
What do you mean by FBO? And man I wish I could hit the canyons, but I live on the east coast so that's not necessarily my worry. Neither is beating people in a straight line realistically, I just want something nicer and faster than I have to lower and play with lol.
Full bolt on: intercooler, intake, downpipes

I've had manual and auto e90's and like both. I enjoy the auto because I daily the car, but for any sorta track duty or canyon carving manual all the way. You just need to decide what's more important to you, personally I'd get the manual if that's what you're looking for, not like you'll be looking to save .1 seconds racing people lol. Go for the fun factor
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 06:46 PM   #5
Steevo
Turbo Noob
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM98 View Post
Full bolt on: intercooler, intake, downpipes

I've had manual and auto e90's and like both. I enjoy the auto because I daily the car, but for any sorta track duty or canyon carving manual all the way. You just need to decide what's more important to you, personally I'd get the manual if that's what you're looking for, not like you'll be looking to save .1 seconds racing people lol. Go for the fun factor
Gotcha! Thanks. And yeah that's what I've been into for a while now, but for this one I have different plans and I also plan to keep it for a while. With that being said, I'll be getting engaged and married within the next year or so and who knows when kids will come along, so I've really been weighing that in with my decision. My girlfriend can't drive a manual but I would like her to be able to drive my car if needed, and at the same time I don't think a newborn/young child would like being tossed around with the shifting of a manual.
Its a really tough decision because I've been such a diehard 3-pedal manual trans, make the car do whatever I want kind of guy for a long time but I'm starting to look at the lame "grown-up" perspective. lol
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 06:53 PM   #6
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

I bought my '09 335 MT Coupe six weeks ago after driving a '01 325 Cic auto for nearly seven years. I thought that I enjoyed the BMW experience but now I'm in heaven. The E92 ride is a little disconnected compared to the E46 but after reading the E92 Car and Driver review, I get it. They say the 335i is comparable to the E46 M3 and has a more tame interior. I debated a ZHP but the quality, low mileage cars are rare. I found a one owner car with up to date maintenance and I love the Black Sapphire Metallic on Beige Dakota Leather combination. I'd suggest continuing your reading this forum and go drive a couple cars.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 07:16 PM   #7
Wilt
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Ask the guy to give you just the 7 last digits of his vehicle's identification number VIN), and you can see a full list of the factory configuration.

http://bimmer.work/

I drove MT my entire life, starting with my first car in 1969, and the 2001 E46 was my first A/T in any car. I live in SF Bay area and the commute traffic is horrid, about as bad as L.A., and I absolutely do not miss not having a clutch, driving in stop-and-go traffic on a highway intended to have 65mph limit. If I had nothing but road conditions of 25 years ago, I'd still be driving a stick, but traffic sux

Last edited by Wilt; 09-22-2016 at 07:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 07:24 PM   #8
Steevo
Turbo Noob
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilt View Post
Ask the guy to give you just the 7 last digits of his vehicle's identification number VIN), and you can see a full list of the factory configuration.

http://bimmer.work/

I drove MT my entire life, starting with my first car in 1969, and the 2001 E46 was my first A/T in any car. I live in SF Bay area and the commute traffic is horrid, about as bad as L.A., and I absolutely do not miss not having a clutch, driving in stop-and-go traffic on a highway intended to have 65mph limit. If I had nothing but road conditions of 25 years ago, I'd still be driving a stick, but traffic sux
I totally forgot about that website lol thank you! Turns out it is the N54.
And yeah I agree, I do a lot of just commuting now instead of fun driving, so I'm looking for something a little more daily-friendly that I can still have fun in if I want to.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 08:58 PM   #9
WTF?
Giggidy..
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

I have the exact car you are considering, but with Black interior. I've been a m/t guy my whole life also, and my other cars are still m/t except my Powerstroke. I bought this car to replace a heavily modded, turbo'd 02 maxima 6 speed that I daily'd to work. Never again with the traffic and the heavy pedal to hold the power. I looked forever for the one I got, took a while, but I love the automatic...............for a daily.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 09:23 PM   #10
kfriceman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 xDrive E90

Buy your second car first.......aka, do not make concessions.

-Kevin
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 11:18 PM   #11
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

I have an AT with sport package and paddles.
Don't buy any car that doesn't have the sport package and oil cooler.
The auto with paddles can be retrofitted with DCT style.
In manual mode shifts are fast and I don't miss a MT.
I drove MT cars for almost 30 years including two M3's. I like the AT.
Arctic Metallic\CF Splitters, Spoiler, Mirror Covers\LED Tails\LSD\Tinted\Coded\Apex Square SM10-19"\LED Angel Eyes\Gloss Black Grill\Integrated V1 & Galaxy Tab\M-Performance Brakes\Cobb Tuned\xHP Flash\Resonator Removed and -> is your friend.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 11:52 PM   #12
GMe90
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Coupe, ZSP, Premium

Garage List
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [6.00]
2007 BMW 328i  [10.00]
If you are a die hard manual guy, you will hate the automatic within a month of ownership. It sounds like MT is important to you. From personal experience, I can guaranty to you that you will not be happy with an automatic (unless you have a second car with MT so that you can get your fix when you need it). Don't compromise with these types of cars. If you want to compromise, buy a cheap, shitty econobox.
Appreciate 1
      09-23-2016, 12:25 AM   #13
Wilt
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz View Post
Don't buy any car that doesn't have the sport package and oil cooler....In manual mode shifts are fast and I don't miss a MT. I drove MT cars for almost 30 years including two M3's. I like the AT.
A drove a 2001 E46 with sport package. I have a 2011 E90 withOUT the sport package, but with the accursed RFT. The ride in the 2011 is far more harsh than 2001 ever was and is the only thing about the E90 that my wife hates, due to the RFT; but I do not notice the lack of the sport suspension in the 2011.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMe90 View Post
If you are a die hard manual guy, you will hate the automatic within a month of ownership. It sounds like MT is important to you. From personal experience, I can guaranty to you that you will not be happy with an automatic (unless you have a second car with MT so that you can get your fix when you need it). Don't compromise with these types of cars. If you want to compromise, buy a cheap, shitty econobox.
As I said earlier, I have 30 years of driving BMW with MT in my blood... "I hated the E46 with A/T" -- NOT!
Yes, I did miss the strong engine braking while driving downhill (2.5L engine) with that slushbox, but the E90 engine has plenty of braking even with the 328i and A/T. The Steptronic restores control of gear selection; the paddle operated DCT would be nicer for transmission shift responsiveness, but was not offered as an alternative in my 328i.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 08:56 AM   #14
Digtlartst
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328xi 6MT Alpinweiss

Garage List
Coming from a manual if you have to ask the question M/T or auto you've already answered it. You're already disappointed that the 335 you found is NOT exactly what you want because it's automatic. Find a manual. Get an Ultimate Driving Machine that you can drive with both feet and both hands. A 335 manual is a beast. Nobody who drives an automatic asks the question should I get another automatic -- they've already been lost to the dark side.
Appreciate 1
      09-23-2016, 09:20 AM   #15
moopdoop
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive

I came from a history of manuals to my '11 335i auto, and I don't have any major complaints. If anything, it gives me a reason to borrow my brother's Z3M 5spd when going for a fun drive and some leverage for adding an E46 M3 manual to the stable (eventually).

I was in the same boat as you, trying to find a 335 with sport seats, comfort access, HK audio, and still under CPO and it was just too hard to find one with a manual in the timeline I was under. I do miss the manual on occasion, but there's also just as many times I'm happy to have the auto when in traffic.

If you do go for the automatic, ABSOLUTELY 100% make sure you get one with paddles and flash the Alpina B3 transmission software. I end up driving my car in manual mode 90% of the time and the Alpina flash drastically improves the shifting.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 11:11 AM   #16
vautrain
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 E91 xDrive

Garage List
Are you sure you're going to be OK trading a wagon for a sedan? I did that once and regretted it. Sure, I'd love to have a 335 wagon, but for me, the wagon was more important than the forced induction.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 01:17 PM   #17
Footdeep_milelong
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by moopdoop View Post
I came from a history of manuals to my '11 335i auto, and I don't have any major complaints. If anything, it gives me a reason to borrow my brother's Z3M 5spd when going for a fun drive and some leverage for adding an E46 M3 manual to the stable (eventually).

I was in the same boat as you, trying to find a 335 with sport seats, comfort access, HK audio, and still under CPO and it was just too hard to find one with a manual in the timeline I was under. I do miss the manual on occasion, but there's also just as many times I'm happy to have the auto when in traffic.

If you do go for the automatic, ABSOLUTELY 100% make sure you get one with paddles and flash the Alpina B3 transmission software. I end up driving my car in manual mode 90% of the time and the Alpina flash drastically improves the shifting.
I second the Alpina B3 software. I just drove another member's E92 with the n55 and it is REALLY good. I just had a 228i loaner with the ZF8 and it comes VERY close to that shifting speed and smoothness. I came from a manual as well, and with the flash I would be very happy with the auto. The downshifts are much faster, and the rev-matching makes driving in M much smoother.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 04:55 PM   #18
Steevo
Turbo Noob
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vautrain View Post
Are you sure you're going to be OK trading a wagon for a sedan? I did that once and regretted it. Sure, I'd love to have a 335 wagon, but for me, the wagon was more important than the forced induction.
I don't want to get rid of my wagon, and in the end I may not. But I need something more daily driveable and reliable. The trusty ol 325iT has been giving me some small issues and I'm way past what I feel comfortable putting into the car. And I want something faster.

Truthfully the only reason I've considered an automatic, /!: the ONLY way I will do it is for the paddles and Alpina flash. This car has the paddles and will have the flash within a week of picking it up.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2016, 12:14 AM   #19
sea6speed
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 335i Msport 6M / E34 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steevo View Post
Gotcha! Thanks. And yeah that's what I've been into for a while now, but for this one I have different plans and I also plan to keep it for a while. With that being said, I'll be getting engaged and married within the next year or so and who knows when kids will come along, so I've really been weighing that in with my decision. My girlfriend can't drive a manual but I would like her to be able to drive my car if needed, and at the same time I don't think a newborn/young child would like being tossed around with the shifting of a manual.
Its a really tough decision because I've been such a diehard 3-pedal manual trans, make the car do whatever I want kind of guy for a long time but I'm starting to look at the lame "grown-up" perspective. lol
My toddler loves being tossed around with the manual. Kids are a lot more adaptive in the car than you'd think. My wife can't drive stick either.

Can also reinforce that if you want a manual you will regret buying an automatic. I tried it (and have 2 other automatic cars) and still prefer the manual especially with the N54.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2016, 09:05 AM   #20
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

teach your GF to drive an MT. the E90 has got to be one of the easiest to drive - hill start assist, the CDV, super slick ZF trans (it'll go into any gear at basically any time). And she'll probably like it (why is it that people assume girls can't drive stick anyway?).

Kids and babies don't care. Unless you're awful at driving MT, it's not going to jerk them around.. not any more than a soccer mom with a lead foot in a minivan. All 3 of our cars are MT, our kids don't know any different. My wife won't even drive an AT.

the N52 with an AT has got to be horrid. It has enough power to be fun with the MT, but with the AT it would be sapped completely unless you spend a bunch on mods. I guess it would be OK with the N54 but you may as well be a passenger IMO.

As far as traffic, I don't get that either. Traffic is boring as hell either way. It's not like you really have to think about shifting with the MT, you just do it out of habit (muscle memory) and it gives you something to do. Plus in an E90 you can pretty much roll in 1st gear at idle which is really damn slow anyway.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 06:56 PM   #21
Vincent_E90
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 E90 335i 6MT BSM

If you buy a BMW without a third pedal you're not driving it, you're just steering it.
Mine - 2008 E90 335i Black Sapphire Metallic 6MT | New OEM Turbos @ 111k| Cobb Stage 2 LT Sport | Full Stainless Steel Akrapovic Exhaust | 5'' Stepped FMIC | VRSF Catless Downpipes| 19in BBS CH-R Matte Black | aFe Stage 2 Air Intake and air scoops| Mishimoto OCC| M-Tech Front Bumper
Appreciate 1
      09-27-2016, 01:41 PM   #22
Bluewater328iT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328iT

My wife and I had 3 E46 wagons, all automatic because I could not find a clean low miles manual. I finally got an E90 low miles manual. It solves everything wrong with the E46 wagon because it has more power and it is manual. It is not a 335, but the 330 intake and a few mods help a lot.