E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Really odd ticking.

09-19-2016, 08:39 PM   #1
BurrNinja
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i Bluestone Metallic

Garage List
Really odd ticking.

Its happened once before, just on cold start I hear inside a loud tick when i went to work at 9 am. Just on lunch the same day, at 1-2pm i let my car warm up didn't drive. The tick was gone? Just so happens again today, minus didn't happen in the morning, it happened when leaving work at 7pm. I turned the car off, added a few quarts of oil. Turned the car on within a minute it disappeared? Has this happened to anyone else? I mean I've heard the injector tick, which the tick i heard weeks ago, and today sounds way louder. 98,600 miles 2008. Ive had the oil change, my next is at 102k. But the oil when i got the car, was changed almost instantly. When the old oil dried up it looked real thick, and disgusting, i was thinking maybe there still some left in the engine that hasn't worked its way out. If possible. My question is, is this a bad sign of things to come?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 03:58 AM   #2
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
I'm not normally a supporter of this, but sounds like you need to think about using a flushing oil, then refill with a high quality fully synthetic to BMW LL01 standard. And don't forget to change the filter each time.
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 07:46 PM   #3
stevenzx
Private
China
Rep
Drives: 2008 bmw 130i

it it normal on N52.

use 0w40 oil and and some Engine Oil Additives, my n52 getting more quite. normally, if you drive the car in short distance or in winter, the ticking noise gets frequent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwidow328i View Post
Its happened once before, just on cold start I hear inside a loud tick when i went to work at 9 am. Just on lunch the same day, at 1-2pm i let my car warm up didn't drive. The tick was gone? Just so happens again today, minus didn't happen in the morning, it happened when leaving work at 7pm. I turned the car off, added a few quarts of oil. Turned the car on within a minute it disappeared? Has this happened to anyone else? I mean I've heard the injector tick, which the tick i heard weeks ago, and today sounds way louder. 98,600 miles 2008. Ive had the oil change, my next is at 102k. But the oil when i got the car, was changed almost instantly. When the old oil dried up it looked real thick, and disgusting, i was thinking maybe there still some left in the engine that hasn't worked its way out. If possible. My question is, is this a bad sign of things to come?
      09-20-2016, 10:03 PM   #4
BurrNinja
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i Bluestone Metallic

Garage List
What additive do you recommend? I used Mobil 1 0w40 when it had ll01 on it, now new bottle doesn't contain it.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2016, 02:13 AM   #5
stevenzx
Private
China
Rep
Drives: 2008 bmw 130i

check the link below

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHELL-HELIX-...MAAOSwwbdWMT~j

http://www.ebay.com/itm/XADO-VERY-LU...RVSIxp&vxp=mtr

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwidow328i View Post
What additive do you recommend? I used Mobil 1 0w40 when it had ll01 on it, now new bottle doesn't contain it.
      11-06-2016, 12:31 PM   #6
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: RWD 528i N52

!!!

you added a few quarts of oil? are you insane? you will break your engine if you overfill. the ticking sound isnt that serious, make sure you take it onto the highway at least a few times a month for 30 min or so, that should help. dont just idle your engine while it makes the sound, drive it lightly. but good 5w-40 synthetic into your car for the next oil change.
Appreciate 0