E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > n55 custom tuning thread

09-06-2012, 09:26 PM   #67
graham999au
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Coupe

Hi,

I'm a bit of a beginner but thought I would post my logs up. I'm a bit worried I haven't done this properly. I have a N55 with Procede V5 Rev2 on Map 1 with auto-tuning on and max PSI set to 15.

I'm worried it looks like my boost went up to 18 on the second run???

Would appreciate some expert opinion.

The first graph is a 3rd pull:

Here is a 2nd to 3rd pull:

Thanks for your input.
2011 E92 335i M Sport Coupe/DCT/Black Sapphire/Oyster/Bamboo Grain/Sunroof/OEM Performance Exhaust/Individual Audio/Heated Seats/TV/Folding Mirrors/6FL iPod/6NF Extended Connectivity/Internet/ACS Roof spoiler/ACS Aluminium Peddles
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 06:41 AM   #68
Slops
Major General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2005 C55 AMG

It actually looks pretty good. You must be an AT with a boost spike like that on a shift. That is normal if you shift a little early. Try to do a run where you keep the pedal on the floor and shift at 5.5k. Your iat is coming down nicely so I gotta ask if you running a bit of meth or just have an ic?

Did you play with the PID settings at all? That helps you hug the boost control set point a little better. You should also add the boost control set point to your boost curve so we know. 15 is pretty low, you can go to 16 or 16.5
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 08:37 AM   #69
Kalud
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Hi there! Timing are a bit low, what kind of gas you have access to ? I see you are from Australia, are you using 91 RON ? Even 95 RON is a bit low, you should check to see if you can get some 98 RON which is equivalent to our 93/94 octane (AKI) rating here in the US/Canada. With that kind of boost that's what you need for best results. You should be able to get a timing advance curve in the area of 8 to 10 degree with better octane. Don't increase boost just yet until you get that timing curve higher, there is no power to gain from more boost with those timings.

Your boost curve is a bit wavy, it could be from different factors like traction, dsc intervention but it could also be your boost PID that needs some attention. Add the "Boost Control Set Point" to your logged channels, and increase the "Boost Control Gain" value to 50. Take a new 3rd gear log, I would like to check the boost curve you get in relation to Boost Control Set Point.

Sloppy, the IAT drop is very minimal (stock FMIC / no meth), the scaling make it looks like it drops more than it does actually, only the flow of a lot more air suddenly.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 09:33 AM   #70
graham999au
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Thanks for your comments. I am using 98 RON and the car is stock except for OEM performance exhaust. Transmission is DCT. I will do some more logs as suggested and include the boost control info. Will try and do this in the next few days.
2011 E92 335i M Sport Coupe/DCT/Black Sapphire/Oyster/Bamboo Grain/Sunroof/OEM Performance Exhaust/Individual Audio/Heated Seats/TV/Folding Mirrors/6FL iPod/6NF Extended Connectivity/Internet/ACS Roof spoiler/ACS Aluminium Peddles
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 09:59 PM   #71
graham999au
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Here is the 3rd gear log. I changed the Boost Control Gain to 50.

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 10:00 PM   #72
Kalud
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham999au View Post
Here is the 3rd gear log. I changed the Boost Control Gain to 50.
Increase Boost Control Gain again, to 60 this time. Boost curve must follow closely the Set Point.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 10:02 PM   #73
Kalud
Lieutenant
Rep

... but timing are really low... The effective octane is probably not enough, its weird, with 98RON you should be golden. Maybe try another gas station ?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 08:02 AM   #74
graham999au
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Should I have auto tune on or off?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 10:06 AM   #75
Kalud
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Should I have auto tune on or off?
I personally prefer logging myself and adjust accordingly one step under the knock threshold. That way I can get maxed out timing, lower boost and better efficiency, less heat...

Right now you are above the knock threshold because your timing curve is low. Enabling autotune would normally reduce boost automatically to an acceptable level given conditions. Acceptable level is subjective in the human world, but the Procede determine its level from the "Aggression Target (1-5)". Default is 2 and its already a bit aggressive, but gives best overall performance. Setting it to 1 would be more conservative.

Right now you need to increase your boost control gain to about 60 and probably also increase your PID Proportional gain. You target a higher boost that the system doesn't even obtains. I would focus on reaching target precisely first then drop boost (manually or using autotune).
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 02:58 PM   #76
FrankiE90
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Krooked Sk8board

this is a good thread Kalud -
should be stick'd.
      09-12-2012, 03:00 PM   #77
Slops
Major General
South Africa
Rep

Wow that timing curve is really dragging on the floor. It's very low, but doesn't look like you are putting the pedal to the floor till mid gear. A good log for me usually yields when I tell the procede to give me everything she's got... Aka pedal to the floor from around 3k rpms.

I wonder if he needs to reduce the boost target first until he can get the target and boost curve to hug a little tighter. I'm wondering why the boost isn't dropped by the auto tune though?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 03:08 PM   #78
Kalud
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slopp View Post
Wow that timing curve is really dragging on the floor. It's very low, but doesn't look like you are putting the pedal to the floor till mid gear. A good log for me usually yields when I tell the procede to give me everything she's got... Aka pedal to the floor from around 3k rpms.

I wonder if he needs to reduce the boost target first until he can get the target and boost curve to hug a little tighter. I'm wondering why the boost isn't dropped by the auto tune though?
I understand that autotune is not enabled on those runs...

I also have see those non-wot on the dbw throttle channel. I think it does that when DSC is not disabled, in a way to control peak torque delivery (just assuming) also the DME uses throttle trimming to control boost.

You have a good point Sloppy, I would disable fully DSC/DTC and try again. Procede reads MAP (manifold) pressure and throttle not fully opened (either user pedal, or via DME trimming) yield to not full boost applied inside the manifold / fed to the motor.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 11:07 PM   #79
graham999au
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Auto tune is enabled on those runs. I will bump the gain up to 60 and turn DTC/DSC off and do some more runs hopefully in the next few days.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 10:25 AM   #80
Slops
Major General
South Africa
Rep

Thought i'd post up another log of my car after my last trunk mount setup! Its working really well but its always a good idea to take some logs after something new was introduced. I was a little worried that my flow rate is around 30 where it use to be closer to 40... I wasn't sure if it was because i re-set all my adaptions and it was maybe too early to start logging, or if it required less meth since its colder outside, or if it was the new check valve that in put in the line that is harder to flow meth through... all of these questions are still on the table.

The only thing from my log that concerns me is the fact that my timing curve looks like crap. I should be able to pull a little north of 10deg. as i've done before, but maybe again its just too early for the auto-tune to do its magic.

The car feels much better now after a week of driving it, so i'll do another log soon to check the differences... Here's the log on the same day after re-setting all adaptions...

Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 08:18 PM   #81
graham999au
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Hi,

I turned auto-tune off, set boost to 11, gain to 60, and turned DSC/DTC off.

Here is the result

Looks a bit better I think?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 09:47 AM   #82
Kalud
Lieutenant
Rep

The CAN DBW Throttle still show a dip before the shift, even with DTC/DSC off, that's strange, did you have some massive wheel spin ? Is this 1st gear going into second gear ? If so then its irrelevant being affected by a lot of wheel spin, I would suggest just a single 3rd gear pull from ~2500rpm or so.

Ignition is low into second gear at first but ramps up normally. It looks better that before.

Check you scaling for "Boost" and "Boost Control Set Point", they have a different scaling right now. Click on the graph, select the curve with PageUp/PageDown and hit P to configure the scaling, set the same for both, min 0, max 20, autoscale off.

Do another log, 3rd gear only like the one before.

Quote:
Hi,

Here is the result

Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 03:57 PM   #83
eyim1988
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M4

Garage List
2022 M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalud
The CAN DBW Throttle still show a dip before the shift, even with DTC/DSC off, that's strange, did you have some massive wheel spin ? Is this 1st gear going into second gear ? If so then its irrelevant being affected by a lot of wheel spin, I would suggest just a single 3rd gear pull from ~2500rpm or so.

Ignition is low into second gear at first but ramps up normally. It looks better that before.

Check you scaling for "Boost" and "Boost Control Set Point", they have a different scaling right now. Click on the graph, select the curve with PageUp/PageDown and hit P to configure the scaling, set the same for both, min 0, max 20, autoscale off.

Do another log, 3rd gear only like the one before.

Quote:
Hi,

Here is the result

I just ordered a new chargepipe. I just cracked my stock one with my boost levels lol. How you been Kalud ?
      10-23-2012, 07:59 AM   #84
Kalud
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyim1988 View Post
I just ordered a new chargepipe. I just cracked my stock one with my boost levels lol. How you been Kalud ?
Haha I think I recommended that you make that upgrade early in our discussion! It was only a matter of time, its been reported quite often already

Did you order a new stock CP or an upgraded ?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 12:19 PM   #85
eyim1988
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M4

Garage List
2022 M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalud
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyim1988 View Post
Haha I think I recommended that you make that upgrade early in our discussion! It was only a matter of time, its been reported quite often already

Did you order a new stock CP or an upgraded ?
Upgraded! But I had 3 different kinds of upgraded chargepipe cpe, Vishnu , ER lol but sold em all