E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Leaf Blower for Drying?

07-19-2012, 07:56 AM   #1
Antartic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 2018

Leaf Blower for Drying?

I use a bunch of MF towels to dry my car, and I always fear that I am marring the paint if I am using too much pressure, or if there are debris stuck between the towel and paint.

I found out that lot of detailers use leaf blowers, but I have heard that they are good and bad.

Good- touchless drying, very quick.
Bad- no filter in leaf blower, so they pick up debris in the intake and pretty much sand blast the car with particles at 180mph.

What are your thoughts on using it? It seems like it would make the drying much easier and safer.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 08:16 AM   #2
RupertPupkin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Freak Beast

I usea leaf blower and it works great. Haven't had any issues. Guess you could fab a filter for it but i dont see a need.

Gravel on the highway and sand and debris when driving @80 are far worse than a little dust an pollen you may suck in when drying it.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 09:53 AM   #3
anerbe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Red E90M 6MT

+1

Blow drying is the best, especially to get inside the side mirror and between the seals.

As long as the intake isn't in sand, dust/pollen are already in the air landing on the vehicle. I'd rather blow it than rub it on the paint.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 10:18 AM   #4
import36
Burrito bowl connoisseur
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Nissan GTR Black Edition

i use a leaf blower to dry my wheels....but never tried drying the entire car off with it.
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2012, 10:47 AM   #5
bigaizsosexy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90, 330i

Hi Antartic,

From my professional experience:

I use an Electric Leaf blower because gas leaf blowers tend to spit oil out of the blower section. I use this method for every car I perform a proper wash on, and it's the safest possible drying method available (except for Cr Spotless). If the car is always properly waxed, the water will shed off like magic, so there is no reason to risk marring the paint by towel drying.

If you must towel dry, and I can't stress this enough, but make sure you BLOT the surface you are drying. Do Not "Drag or Wipe" the towel across the paintwork. This can result in marring or hairline RIDS if the paintwork is not entirely free of debris.

Feel free to PM me with any questions you may have. Hope this clarified your concerns.

Thanks,

Andrew
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 10:49 AM   #6
SalemChiro
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i vert

I bought a $30 leaf blower and modified the plastic tube so it's only about 8-12 inches long and tapers down at the end. Works great getting 90% of the waters off then I use a high quality MF towel to finish up.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 08:33 AM   #7
TheSubmariner
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i Monaco Blue 'vert

Ive tried blotting with MF towels but dagnamit, it leaves wakermarks. I drag the towel but lightly... I live in a condo, no leafblower
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 04:16 PM   #8
nbkkvv5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSubmariner View Post
Ive tried blotting with MF towels but dagnamit, it leaves wakermarks. I drag the towel but lightly... I live in a condo, no leafblower
If outside electric is an issue, why not get a cordless leaf blower? I've been using a leaf blower for many years and it works so much better than towels.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 05:48 PM   #9
Javy
e92javy
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E92 M

+1. Its great for wheels. Gets all the water out from the lugs and calipers.
Instagram- (javy_e92) 09 335i coupe / M package / Alpine White / Dinan Stage 2 / Alpina B3 Flash / Alufelgen SF71 / ST coils / Lux H8 / AFE Stage 2 intake / 6700k mtech HID / Performance trunk spoiler / Gloss black roof / CF interior wrap / PE Muffler Mod / ETS Charge pipe / Tial BOV / Cyba Quad Diffuser / Cyba Quad Black Chrome tips / Gloss black grills / AW reflectors / LED turn signals / Remote Key +
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 06:30 PM   #10
tofu-
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i Jet Black/Coral Red

the blotting thing is nonsense.

it's perfectly fine to lightly drag a damp, well made drying towel across your paint if it is clean. feel free to spritz the car down with ONR before doing so for extra lubricity.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 10:13 AM   #11
Antartic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 2018

Well, using leaf blower for drying my car was a complete failure. I bought a cheap $30 one from Lowes. My car has an existing layer of wax + sealant. After ‘sheeting’ the excess water off my car, I tried to use the blower to get the big beads of water out.

All the darn thing did was separate the water into several thousand tiny beads which spiderwebbed all over the panel, which then evaporated quickly leaving me with tons of small water spots!! ARGH.

It seemed to work well for the wheels, but either I am doing something wrong for the paint, or this thing simply doesn’t work.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 11:24 AM   #12
tofu-
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i Jet Black/Coral Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antartic View Post
Well, using leaf blower for drying my car was a complete failure. I bought a cheap $30 one from Lowes. My car has an existing layer of wax + sealant. After ‘sheeting’ the excess water off my car, I tried to use the blower to get the big beads of water out.

All the darn thing did was separate the water into several thousand tiny beads which spiderwebbed all over the panel, which then evaporated quickly leaving me with tons of small water spots!! ARGH.

It seemed to work well for the wheels, but either I am doing something wrong for the paint, or this thing simply doesn’t work.
buy a tool specifically designed for this if that's the route you want to go. It isn't cheap.

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/metro-a...er-240582.html
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 11:38 AM   #13
vapore0n
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antartic View Post

Sounds like you did it in the sun or on a hot surface?

Ive noticed that using leaf blower leaves very small water spots around the car. This due to that effect you talk about.
I use my leaf blower to to most of the job, not fully. Its great for wheels, front area, mirrors, gas tank area, license plate area, etc. Get the water out of all those cracks. Then I finish with a good mf towel and a qd spray. Have not seen any marring/swirls yet. Best part is I get little to no water running out after I dry up the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 09:45 PM   #14
coolcobramatt
I like turtles
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is Lemans Blue

I use a strong electric blower followed up with a synthetic chammy. Leaf blower only on rims. Works great although when its 100' like it is now it does leave minute water spots. They arent enough to fret over esp because my car is AW and doesnt show spots as bad.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 07:54 AM   #15
jabnut
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335I, Mustang GT, Titan LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu- View Post
buy a tool specifically designed for this if that's the route you want to go. It isn't cheap.

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/metro-a...er-240582.html
I have one of these with 4hp and it works great. Has a filter and a long hose with different attachments. The air gets warm too to help dry the car faster. No waterspot either!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 10:16 AM   #16
leafblower43
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

Best Electric Leaf Blower in 2015
Not only does the season of fall give you an idle noon, it also litters the compound with dry leaves. It is obvious that you would like to get rid of this trash, but are confused about the type of leaf to go for, between the gas and the electric leaf blowers. For some time now, electric leaf blowers have beaten gasoline powered leaf blowers in many aspects. In addition to blowing leaves, the modern models of electric leaf blowers have other functions including mulching and vacuum cleaning. As compared to gasoline leaf blowers, electric leaf blowers are better, with regards to noise, emissions, and ease of movement, weight, and maintenance and pricing.
http://www.leafblowercenter.com/best-electric/
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 12:26 PM   #17
SLOWER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 M3

Garage List
I use my backpack yard blower. Neighbors look at me like I'm insane. I smile and wave.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 12:43 PM   #18
bfritzsch
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 e90 335i xDrive M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWER View Post
I use my backpack yard blower. Neighbors look at me like I'm insane. I smile and wave.
+1 Glad I am not the only one who is considered strange by their neighbors for doing this!
      01-30-2015, 01:12 PM   #19
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

I use a combo of the process, I blow the entire car and then blot/light wipe to dry. I do use a drying aide though, I use Duragloss Aquawax lightly spritzed after I blow dry. It adds some lubricity and provides an extra layer of protection. I seal using Collonite 845 every 4 months and once a year clay and polish. Works pretty good fopr me but live in Socal and cars are garaged.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 01:28 PM   #20
HULKNASTY
It's slow
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i msport coupe

I have metro master blaster sidekick! It's soooooooo worth it

Last edited by HULKNASTY; 02-01-2015 at 10:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 02:27 PM   #21
SLOWER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfritzsch View Post
+1 Glad I am not the only one who is considered strange by their neighbors for doing this!
I've had two people stop while walking by and inquire about my foam attachment for the pressure washer.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 02:47 PM   #22
StevenY.
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10' SG e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWER View Post
Haha. Speaking of looking insane, apparently I'm the only one in my neighborhood that details their own car. Every time I break out the polisher, everyone that walks by either looks at me weird or is fascinated by what's going on.