E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Took my car in for misfires - and they are only doing a software update

09-17-2010, 04:24 PM   #1
e93WhiteonRed
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93 Alpine white with Red

Garage List
2007 335I E93  [0.00]
Took my car in for misfires - and they are only doing a software update

I took my 335i in for it's regular service and told them that I had been having some stumbling, hesitations, and even complete dropp off in power once or twice resulting in a limp mode. I threw misfire codes on cyl 3 and made sure to keep those codes when I took it in for service. They said the only thing they are doing is replacing a belt tensioner and updating my software to the newest version and that should fix the hesitations.

Seems like all of the stumbling I'm having is most likely a result of a coil or a plug - do they replace the plugs anyways around 30k miles and just didn't mention it? Anyone else have stumbling and hesitations that were fixed by a simple software update?

I also mentioned that my exhaust flap was rattling and they are replacing the muffler section with a brand new one but are shipping it from germany and I'll be another week without my car - 2 weeks total... Damn!
      09-18-2010, 10:30 PM   #2
02themax
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Mine goes in Monday for the same thing I'll update

E90 335i
Sport Package - Logic 7 Sound w/ipod - Bluetooth - Comfort Access - PDC - 19" M3 Reps 275/30 235/35 - Blacklines - 10mil spacers rear, 5mil spacers front - BMW Alarm
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2010, 06:26 PM   #3
Juiced46
Major
Rep
Drives: 03 Turbo Cobra, 2011 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by e93WhiteonRed View Post
I took my 335i in for it's regular service and told them that I had been having some stumbling, hesitations, and even complete dropp off in power once or twice resulting in a limp mode. I threw misfire codes on cyl 3 and made sure to keep those codes when I took it in for service. They said the only thing they are doing is replacing a belt tensioner and updating my software to the newest version and that should fix the hesitations.

Seems like all of the stumbling I'm having is most likely a result of a coil or a plug - do they replace the plugs anyways around 30k miles and just didn't mention it? Anyone else have stumbling and hesitations that were fixed by a simple software update?

I also mentioned that my exhaust flap was rattling and they are replacing the muffler section with a brand new one but are shipping it from germany and I'll be another week without my car - 2 weeks total... Damn!
Plugs get changed @ 100k unless there is an issue.

What other codes did you pull or were they strictly only misfire codes?

Its very possible its an Injector, coil or the high pressure pump. Unfortunately the dealer may have had no choice to only do a software update and not replace any parts. Especially if it wasnt happening @ the time you brought it in. This is how BMW wants it to be done. Most likely you will be back, its unfortunate but thats how it is
Appreciate 0