E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Time for Action - OBD Theft

08-22-2012, 07:22 AM   #1
gaza01
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Time for Action - OBD Theft

Think we are all very well informed on the issue and all share the same concern when it comes to securing our pride and joy. What we aren't doing however is uniting as a front to embarrass BMW into sorting the problem.

I've just spoken to BMW UK and the customer service lady logged my concerns. Generally her comments to me were, 'BMWs are fitted with the best Thatcham 1 alarms', 'BMWs are secure' and that 'BMW are working closely with the police to help them with their investigations. My response was along the lines of, your best secure security system is not that secure as people can access the interior of the car without the alarm going off and that even if it was the best it no longer is as people have found a way to beat it within 3 minutes! (Thinking about this...is it really Thatcham 1 if you can access the interior without the alarm going off? - will do some digging!) I also made the point that we feel let down by BMW that they have just left us out in the cold and vulnerable and don't seem to be doing anything about the issue.

My plan is to gather as many people as possible via some form of online petition and then show it to everyone and anyone who would listen. With thousands of names behind the petition, youtube videos as evidence showing the ease at which these cars can be stolen and hopefully media giants helping us to make this ring home to BMW, then may be BMW would be embarrassed into doing something about it.

I know some will think this is a waste of time as reading some of the post on here, lots seem to be rolling over on the issue already but it won't hurt to get your name (and possibly) registration on a list. Just imagine if everyone on here alone signed the petition (hoping admin will help spread the word once it is up and running), how many names would that be already.

If there is anyone out there connected or affiliated to media giants and feel they can help in making this blow up big time in BMW's face then please get in contact. I am trying to get hold of some at the BBC to see if they will be willing to present this on the Watchdog programme. Don't know if any of the main stream tabloids will be willing to put this on the front cover of their papers as well.

Really pissed off by this!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 07:25 AM   #2
shej
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw 330d

Well done for trying..It has put off many people from buying into the brand too i'm sure..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 07:42 AM   #3
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Hi mate,

I have been thinking about this today.

I am 100% behind you and I am just on the tipping point of trying to do something like this myself.

If you get a petition up I will sign it. If the accepted approach for the 'Council of concerned parties' is to write to BMW with our concerns, then I will do it. If we have to hound dealers etc, then I am happy to do so.

As the wheel situation proved - it IS possible to make this kind of thing stick if enough people kick up a fuss.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 07:45 AM   #4
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

I'll happily add my name to the list - you may find resistance to people adding registration numbers unless it can be a field only viewable by a mods etc
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 07:49 AM   #5
Frobius
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d M-Sport

Garage List
Count me in.
      08-22-2012, 08:06 AM   #6
gaza01
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks guys

Ian
That the sort of input I want / need as I've never done anything like this before. Good point re the registration. My only reason for wanting to include this was so if BMW want to do a spot check to see if the names of people were actual BMW owners then they could but fair play!

EDIT:
Will not be requesting addresses on the petition. Easy tick list for the theiving scum! Probably just name and mobile and the car's mark.

Last edited by gaza01; 08-22-2012 at 09:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 08:07 AM   #7
yeti racing
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 330d M Sport

show me where to sign!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 08:14 AM   #8
cage911
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e93 Msport

Always up for a fight against the fat cats.

Count me in too.
      08-22-2012, 08:32 AM   #9
Falmouthboy
Squadron Leader (Ret'd)
Rep
Drives: E91 330d SE & Mini Coupe JCW

Count me in too, I also don't see the need for the reg numbers, normally with a petition you need an address, phone number or e-mail so authenticity can be verified. I also don't see why the petition has to just be BMW owners as prospective owners may also wish to register their concern.

I also wonder if there may be a sale of goods act case here? Is the car security 'fit for purpose'? I guess this would take some sort of 'class action' but could certainly lead to BMW taking notice.

Finally - is it worth contacting Thatcham? If it is them who have signed the car's security system off as 'Class 1' are they not accountable?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 08:49 AM   #10
gaza01
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falmouthboy View Post
Count me in too, I also don't see the need for the reg numbers, normally with a petition you need an address, phone number or e-mail so authenticity can be verified. I also don't see why the petition has to just be BMW owners as prospective owners may also wish to register their concern. Good point actually...if the petition has a category for owner or potential owner. Would ring home the effect this is having even on non BMW owners however I've heard it mentioned a few times that the newer BMWs aren't affected by the OBD thefts.

I also wonder if there may be a sale of goods act case here? Is the car security 'fit for purpose'? I guess this would take some sort of 'class action' but could certainly lead to BMW taking notice. I'm no law expert but think this is arguable and could carry some weight but my intention is not to get into a legal fight with BMW...I don't have the resource (money) to fight them on that level. The aim is to publicly embarrase them (and if possible hopefully hurt sales)

Finally - is it worth contacting Thatcham? If it is them who have signed the car's security system off as 'Class 1' are they not accountable? I've just this minute put the phone down to Thatcham and await an engineer to call me back. I am asking the same question more or less i.e. what security requirents does a thatcham 1 alarm need to meet. Surely breaking the glass and being able to reach down into the car without the alarm going off wouldn't constitute a thatcham 1 alarm??... can only wait to see what they say.
^^^
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 09:01 AM   #11
yeti racing
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 330d M Sport

Quote:
Finally - is it worth contacting Thatcham? If it is them who have signed the car's security system off as 'Class 1' are they not accountable?
I thought about this earlier, but doubted if they'd be if the cars in question are now of a certain age?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 09:01 AM   #12
jayakrishnanv
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 M340d

Garage List
Please count me in
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 09:05 AM   #13
jrah
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340d

I'm happy to back this, it's about time something was done!!!
      08-22-2012, 09:05 AM   #14
phil200tdi
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport E90 LCI manual

Follow BMW on Facebook and twitter. Tag in as many post as possible until their media dept take note and push up the chain.

Also worth posting this in the USA section. They seem to get courts to force BMW NA to take action.

Contact senior BMW execs - get their details through LinkedIn..
      08-22-2012, 09:07 AM   #15
Falmouthboy
Squadron Leader (Ret'd)
Rep
Drives: E91 330d SE & Mini Coupe JCW

"however I've heard it mentioned a few times that the newer BMWs aren't affected by the OBD thefts."

However, if not addressed, still an issue for insurance, residuals, 'Approved Used' brand reputation and returning customers.

Last edited by Falmouthboy; 08-22-2012 at 09:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 09:12 AM   #16
Billyray911
Brigadier General
Venezuela
Rep
Drives: Blah

Fair play for making a stand.
Anyway,my only suggestion is,if you haven't done already,read through the Pistonheads thread and post up your suggestion there.
There may be ground that has already been covered and this seems to be a conduit for the many threads on this subject on the numerous forums.
Just a thought...
http://mobile.pistonheads.com/gassin...blank+BMW+keys
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 09:18 AM   #17
BoondogUK
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-Power View Post
I'm happy to back this, it's about time something was done!!!
+1
      08-22-2012, 09:26 AM   #18
ManCityDG
Rep
Drives: 2009 325i M Sport coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoondogUK View Post
+1
Me too, it cant go on like this where every recent bmw is practically unlocked and ready to drive off (when in the hands of these scrotes). I've just spent £16k+ and didnt know about this before buying. I've just watched this so i'll be buying a disklok ASAP, which i shouldnt have to!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 09:51 AM   #19
225_AB
Major
Rep
Drives: M235i

Garage List
2014 M235i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 330D  [0.00]
Fair play mate for making an effort, happy to sign an online petition.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 10:19 AM   #20
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

Quote:
I contacted Thatcham some months ago about this problem, their response was that the problem only affects cars with keyless access, I told them that it was much more widespread than that and I subsequently emailed them a link to the thread that was active at the time - needless to say, my email was neither answered nor acknowledged. I got the impression that Thatcham weren't particularly interested
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 10:36 AM   #21
gaza01
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS100 View Post
I contacted Thatcham some months ago about this problem, their response was that the problem only affects cars with keyless access, I told them that it was much more widespread than that and I subsequently emailed them a link to the thread that was active at the time - needless to say, my email was neither answered nor acknowledged. I got the impression that Thatcham weren't particularly interested
Well let see how it goes...no one has rung me back just yet.
Thing is we first need to understand what exactly does Thatcham 1 require for an alarm to achieve that category. If it means no access into the car without the alarm going off then BMW have misrepresented in their sales.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 10:38 AM   #22
sheps
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Can I make a suggestion?

In no way undermining the OP's idea of an online petition, whilst it might generate a greater level of online interest a petition, will be remarkably easy for BMW to ignore.

If, however, you combine the signing of an electronic petition with a downloadable letter for people to add their name and address to it, spend a quid sending the letter recorded delivery, BMW will be forced to sit up and take notice when they have to employ someone full-time simply to sign for recorded delivery letters.

The petition can be used to give 'the cause' national interest (and use the web to increase its circulation) and use the letters to cause buggeration for BMW.

2,000 names on a piece of paper, especially online won't mean too much to them.
2,000 names on a piece of paper, along with 2,000 individual letters highlighting the same concern will be very difficult to ignore.

Replaced by 6.2 litres of AMG powered C class.
Appreciate 0