E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Got me phone playing FLAC in the car

11-10-2011, 03:18 PM   #1
jimmylad
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d sapphire black

Got me phone playing FLAC in the car

Was a bit fed up with the cd player playing MP3 files cos the sound from MP3's are ok but not the best plus the file structure through the Idrive is naff so something had to be done...

I knew I wanted FLAC through the aux input but wasnt sure what would play it. Thought about using my phone but that didn't support FLAC or did it ?? Turns out it doesnt support FLAC but I can download an app called "FolderPlay" that will play FLAC's so downloaded the app, deleted all the old mp3's from the phone memory & intalled 6GB of FLAC musuc to the memory card. So far so good. I would like to say I'm not "that" into phones. Not cos I dont like them with all the gadgets etc but I wont have an expensive phone cos I end up breaking or loosing them every 6 months so I dont get the latest device. My kids have better phones than me!

Anyway, hooked the phone up in the car (Nokia 5800) with the lead into the aux. The phone asks me if I want headphone or line out so I choose line out. Select AUX from the I drive & theres music coming out of the speaker. What a transformation !!! Always thought the hifi system in the car was a bit suspect but the sound was bloody good. I could actually feel the bass for the 1st time 18 months of ownership. Wild wood by Paul Weller was amazing compared to what the MP3 disc could deliver. Tried a quiet song & there was no hiss ( levels were spot on & the "FolderPlay" lets you adjust the gain so it's perfect). The stereo reproduction was so clear & I can actually hear & feel the sub.

Ok it's never going to be the best music system available but the FLAC really does get the best from it & now would be quite happy to leave it as it is.

Anyone got a phone that doesnt support FLAC then search "Folder Play" + "FLAC" + "your phone" & see if it's available for you. I suppose most have IPODs & Iphones but never the less......

Nearly as chuffed with it as my dreambox........
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 04:11 PM   #2
SelSol
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 335D SE

Hmm, this interests me, I can't say I'm super impressed with the stereo, its good, but nowhere near the epicness of the two Harmon Kardon systems I've had from Mucky Benz, but then I'd never played anythiing but straight CDs in them.

I realised that I haven't actually put a normal audio CD in the deck yet, so I may be missing out too.

Any ideas on whats the best way forward with an Iphone 4? I only have the 3.5mm jack in the armrest, not a proper dock, and after seeing the bill some Texan bloke paid just to do it, I'm not inclinded to do a retrofit.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 04:33 PM   #3
jimmylad
Lieutenant
England
Rep

not sure on Apple/Iphone stuff TBH as I dont know what the compression of the music file is if any. I wanted FLAC cos I know its lossless & didnt want MP3 cos I dont want to put quantity over quality but I have to say I dont have CD's anymore. Chucked the lot years ago thinking mp3's were the way forward (quantity over quality) but now I have decent quality sound sytems in the house the MP3's just dont cut it for me especially as storage is so cheap.

After 10 years the cambridge speakers from my 1st desktop still impress me & that is what I use to judge anything else I listen to. Dont get me wrong I'm no Audiophile but like to think I have a good ear & can pick out whats going on in a track.

Playing the FLAC in the car has been a bit like when someone on a mixing desk fades in an instuments that seemed missing in an MP3's.

I think my lads impressed too.....
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 02:50 AM   #4
SelSol
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 335D SE

I had a rummage about online last night, and Apple do their own version called Applelossless, which is lossless like FLAC, but also compressed, but the files are still 40-60% bigger than normal MP3's, thats no problem (32GB phone should still hold 40+/- albums).

Going to take out some normal CD's today and see if I can tell the difference!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 03:01 AM   #5
kaishang
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 330d

You can put a lot of file formats on your music player/phone: including lossless formats which are the same quality as the original CD.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 03:21 PM   #6
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

But you're not really playing FLAC in the car?

Your phone is playing the FLAC and then just outputting regular headphone quality (i.e. poor) analogue signals for the car to amplify.

Playing a real CD will reveal best results, but admitted is a bit old hat these days.

I use FLAC at home, but just batch convert the whole 6000 tracks to 320CBR MP3 for the car, which is the top rate of MP3, and in the car this is imperceptible from a CD IMO.

easy
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 05:00 PM   #7
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

Yeah, just burn the cd as a proper CD, your phones pre amp will be extremely poor so you are loosing quality there.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 12:54 AM   #8
wayne71
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d

Can you play flac files via the USB?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 06:22 AM   #9
jimmylad
Lieutenant
England
Rep

can only assume that my mp3 disc couldn't have been burnt at 320 hence the difference in sound quality.

All 4 of us have noticed it sounds way better now.
Appreciate 0