E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > How to enjoy an automatic E90 328i sedan?

10-04-2012, 05:52 PM   #23
BMWs4ever
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i

Garage List
2001.5 Passat GLX V6  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dd243372 View Post
Put it in DS mode and floor it...
You forgot to mention take off the DTC as well and then it really goes
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 05:57 PM   #24
Doctor///M
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 AUDI RS6

Garage List
2023 Audi RS6 Avant  [0.00]
BMW M2 Competition   [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2015 M3  [9.52]
...take it to the track. You'll learn the true potential of your car and have a lot more fun doing it. Like someone previously mentioned, the rest of the world lives with their 4-bangers. A 328 is still premium in my books.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 07:08 PM   #25
Chris@codemybimmer
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW F30 328i Xdrive

I just think about 335s and how they have so many problems like hpfp and such
then it just makes me happy that I bought a 328 instead of a 335
not that I hate the 335 or anything but like you I am also a full time student so money is an issue.
I pretty much bought my cat without any prior research and just looked at a BMW that fit my budget and then started doing research afterwards and I was really happy I got a 328
and you should take it to a track and have some fun!
honesty though putting money in your car is not the best idea. personally I would save up money for a house instead
a cars value always depreciated where real estate always goes up. just my two cents
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 08:32 PM   #26
ndog14
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi 6MT

Is it RWD? Find an empty parking lot, drive in circles sideways with the focal of the turn at your front wheels.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 08:58 PM   #27
Tim M
Just a regular guy.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M3 Sedan

Have you driven your 328i up to 145mph yet? Do that on a long stretch of road, and let me know how you feel about your car.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 09:32 PM   #28
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon

Garage List
can you afford to upgrade or not?
If not, there are small performance mods that can keep things interesting.
Better tires. M3 suspension parts. A tune.
If you upgrade to a newer more powerful car, the taxes and increased auto insurance alone might be greater than the cost of some minor mods.

I can't afford to upgrade to a new car so I'm enjoying the car I have, as long as I can. The auto 328i may lag some newer cars in performance, but as a total package, it's a great car.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 02:30 AM   #29
WTLetu
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Sedan, Alpine White

I know about DS mode and how to use the steptronic. I turn DTC off and sometimes hold down that button until the circular arrow appears on the computer. I don't know if it's just me or if my car just becomes really loose and scary to drive x) so I just turn DTC back on lol. Is it safe to drive with that circular arrow on?

Btw does anyone have a paint job preference? My paint seems to be wearing down and getting scratched here and there. Also, this happened to my bumper. Suggestions for a replacement bumper kit?

Thanks a lot for the answers so far guys! I'm slowly feeling closer to my 328i again. I really like reading what your guys' opinions are all about
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 05:23 AM   #30
Stanleywan1211
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunners_Mate View Post
Muffler Delete.
Headers.
Remap Engine.
Throttle Delay Delete Chip.
3 Stage Intake Manifold
Air Intake.

These cars can be made to go faster, you just have to know what to do. Trust me. Ever since I started modding my E90 325i, it's been a blast.
that sounds good ! how much u spent so far with those mods? first thing i would get is the delay chips
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 05:46 AM   #31
MattMD
E9X > Everything
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 Corvette Z51

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTLetu View Post
I know about DS mode and how to use the steptronic. I turn DTC off and sometimes hold down that button until the circular arrow appears on the computer. I don't know if it's just me or if my car just becomes really loose and scary to drive x) so I just turn DTC back on lol. Is it safe to drive with that circular arrow on?

Btw does anyone have a paint job preference? My paint seems to be wearing down and getting scratched here and there. Also, this happened to my bumper. Suggestions for a replacement bumper kit?

Thanks a lot for the answers so far guys! I'm slowly feeling closer to my 328i again. I really like reading what your guys' opinions are all about
Use it at your own discretion. It disables everything that keeps you from crashing to give a raw driving experience. Personally, I only use it when I want max acceleration. I don't trust the 16" 205 runflats to give me enough grip through the corners. I'll try again when I upgrade the tires & wheels.

I like M3 replica bumpers. There are other options out there.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 09:54 AM   #32
WTLetu
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Low Key OG View Post
Use it at your own discretion. It disables everything that keeps you from crashing to give a raw driving experience. Personally, I only use it when I want max acceleration. I don't trust the 16" 205 runflats to give me enough grip through the corners. I'll try again when I upgrade the tires & wheels.

I like M3 replica bumpers. There are other options out there.
Thanks for the safety tip!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 10:55 AM   #33
cuiter23
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87 M2 6Spd

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [6.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundle View Post
If your car is feeling weak, come to Europe and drive a few 316i and 318i sedans...

If I were you, I'd ditch the 3-series, buy a new Civic SI sedan (manual!), and take some classes.
lol, I would never trade a 328 for an Si...

OP question, just save up, it's all about the money.
[SOLD] 2007 E90 328i - Titanium Metallic l 19" VMR V710 l H&R Trak+ Spacers l M-Sport Rear Bumper l Mtech Rear Lip Spoiler l Hamann Front Lip l Eibach Sportline l AA N52 Signature Exhaust l OEM Blacklines l MTEC V3 AE l 6000K HID l Nokya 7000K Fogs l MTEC License Plate LED l Interior LED l 15% Tint l BlackVue DR380G-HD + PMP
2023 G87 M2 6Spd - HEA Package | OEM M Performance Carbon Wing
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 10:59 AM   #34
StabPreflop
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '23 M5 Comp

You're having trouble enjoying your 328i?? I have a 328xi and still manage to enjoy it thoroughly. I'm not sure I'd enjoy a 335, on a day to day basis, as much to be honest. 99.9% of the time, I'm driving it in the street. I love being able to rev it up on onramps, open roads, etc. A 335 will go over 100mph in 3rd gear so you will either be trying to avoid applying power most of the time, or end up in jail. Even at the track I would miss the RWD and sports suspension way before the turbo.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 11:36 PM   #35
spanner1751
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i M sport sedan

Quote:
You have a few minor scratches under your front bumper that aren't even visible from above. Just be more careful about getting close to the concrete parking barriers. Don't worry about it.
As far as the performance of the 328i, I checked performance figures for some famous 1960's performance cars like the Boss 302 and Z28 Camaro, and their 0-60 times were about 7 seconds, the same as a 328i with auto.
If you want a little more performance, just use the paddle shifters and start out in M1.
      10-06-2012, 12:45 AM   #36
v6turbo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '87 Buick GN, '06 330i jet blk

I would think driving a BMW would put you in a small minority. Think about how many ppl would love to own a nice BMW of any kind. I would be interested to know what percentage of drivers in the US own BMW's, I would guess its very small, maybe as low as 2-3% if that.

Last edited by v6turbo; 10-06-2012 at 12:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 01:29 PM   #37
AdrianRex
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i X-drive

I don't know man; for me it was finances that got me into a 328 instead of a 335. I love my car, I thoroughly enjoy it, but the elephant in the room is the 335 for me. I don't care that there's always something better and faster out there, I just really wish I could have gotten a 335. I made the mistake of driving one today and it truly was a night and day experience versus my 328. All I can say is, enjoy what you have for now and eventually, if all goes well, you can get the car you really wanted when all your pins are in a row, so to speak.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 02:34 PM   #38
middleagedhippie
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

LOL. What a pathetic, spoiled society. When a college kid is whining because his car is only a 328i, you have to know there is something wrong somewhere. If this attitude is what generation X is all about, then it truly is curtains for our once great and noble Nation. I am well into middle age and could easily afford any car I chose, but I drive a 328i, and everyday can't believe how well the car drives and how comfortable it is. On a cool day, I open the windows and the moon roof and enjoy the breeze and the purr of the engine. I get being a young hot-shot means driving a "fast" and "powerful" car. Hey, I was macho once also. But if you want to really enjoy driving and the thrill of speed and power . . get yourself a motorbike.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 09:33 PM   #39
WTLetu
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by middleagedhippie View Post
LOL. What a pathetic, spoiled society. When a college kid is whining because his car is only a 328i, you have to know there is something wrong somewhere. If this attitude is what generation X is all about, then it truly is curtains for our once great and noble Nation. I am well into middle age and could easily afford any car I chose, but I drive a 328i, and everyday can't believe how well the car drives and how comfortable it is. On a cool day, I open the windows and the moon roof and enjoy the breeze and the purr of the engine. I get being a young hot-shot means driving a "fast" and "powerful" car. Hey, I was macho once also. But if you want to really enjoy driving and the thrill of speed and power . . get yourself a motorbike.
Nobody said I was whining lol. However, I understand your POV. Please refrain from making negative general statements in the future though. Our generation and future generations still have a long way to go. The cycle of young people repeats itself my friend

And I still love my 328i, man! Like EDM92 said above:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM92 View Post
There's always going to be a car out there that trumps the car in your driveway. Enjoy it for what it is! Many people would LOVE to trade cars with you. I understand what you're saying though. It's easy to take what we have for granted.
It is easy to take what we have for granted sometimes.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 09:35 PM   #40
WTLetu
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianRex View Post
I don't know man; for me it was finances that got me into a 328 instead of a 335. I love my car, I thoroughly enjoy it, but the elephant in the room is the 335 for me. I don't care that there's always something better and faster out there, I just really wish I could have gotten a 335. I made the mistake of driving one today and it truly was a night and day experience versus my 328. All I can say is, enjoy what you have for now and eventually, if all goes well, you can get the car you really wanted when all your pins are in a row, so to speak.
I have never driven a 335i, and now I don't want to. It'd be like a shark that's had a taste of blood and wants more lol. Thanks for your opinion
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 09:45 PM   #41
WTLetu
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUiKSR20 View Post
Im really surprised that's the attitude alot have on this forum, Like they have
no faith in the car lasting past the warranty.

I use to have a G35 if you navigate to the forums there, Nobody talks about warranty. If you maintain it yourself ( the minor basics )
its not that expensive at all. There are tons of vendors on here and lots of great info.

If you like your car keep it, do some minor mods.. Even if 328 and Auto its still a great handling quality car.

If you want to mod for looks its the same across the board, If speed is your only concern there are some nice bolt on mods just dont expect the power levels the turbo guys see.

A 328 can be a very enjoyable car and its the last we will probably see of BMW's legendary NA I6.
How was owning a G35 btw?

Anyway, I was at the OC Auto Show today and I was thinking about what you said about it being one of the last few BMWs with NA engine, and seeing all the new turbo engines on the new BMWs made me more appreciative of my NA 328i. So thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 09:54 PM   #42
jvsxn
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e-ninety

If lag is what's bothering you then get the BMS Powerbox -- number-wise it's pretty minuscule but the feel and response kinda makes you forget you're driving a 328. I'm in the same boat as you but if it makes you feel better, I drive an AT 325 and I'm having a blast. You can always invest in exterior parts and "upgrade" to another E90 and swap the parts that you want to keep. If you spend too much time doubting your car, you waste that much time not enjoying it.

Quote:
Lately with the arrival of all these new sporty cars, I've been feeling a little down with my E90 328i. I guess you could say that I'm not as excited about it as I used to be.

It used to be unimportant to me whether my car was an automatic transmission or manual, but now I feel a craving for a manual transmission. Not only that, you guys know that the this 328i won't gain as much performance with aftermarket parts unless I spend some serious cash, which I don't have because I am a full-time student. So far I've only spent money on an axle-back exhaust and window tints.

I kind of want to spend a little money on the exterior cosmetic look, but then again what's the point if it's an automatic with a noticeable lag in acceleration, mismatching with the looks?

I guess I want to ask you other automatic 328i owners on how you enjoy your car on a daily basis. Is it worth sprucing up the looks even though it's an automatic? How do you mod your 328i and is it worth it? Or do you guys think my priorities are out of line, and that I should wait for the future to buy a car more to my liking?
      10-06-2012, 11:54 PM   #43
QUiKSR20
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' F30 328i 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
How was owning a G35 btw?

Anyway, I was at the OC Auto Show today and I was thinking about what you said about it being one of the last few BMWs with NA engine, and seeing all the new turbo engines on the new BMWs made me more appreciative of my NA 328i. So thanks!
The G35 was a great car.... The nickname it carries is " The Japanese 3 Series" and it is. It was a great car, Tight chassis, great suspension, 50/50 weight , RWD.

Mine was a 06 298HP 6MT Sedan, All 6MT's have a LSD Rear and rev 7k it was a quick car ran 13.81@101 bone stock.

Owned for 30k miles and never went to the dealer for anything, Nobody cares about warranties on these cars they dont break. I only sold for an E90 because I sold my E30 and the G35 didnt have the soul my E30 had and this E90 reminds me of modern day E30.

I love my E90 and loved my E30 and G35 as well. They are great cars and id say there 9/10 of a BMW but theres just something about the soul of a german car that gets me
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 01:11 AM   #44
jvsxn
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e-ninety

How were you able to deal with the interior? I didn't own my G for too long but I sold my 2004 coupe because I didn't like the interior set up. Never got to experience the performance side of it but I would like to in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUiKSR20 View Post
The G35 was a great car.... The nickname it carries is " The Japanese 3 Series" and it is. It was a great car, Tight chassis, great suspension, 50/50 weight , RWD.

Mine was a 06 298HP 6MT Sedan, All 6MT's have a LSD Rear and rev 7k it was a quick car ran 13.81@101 bone stock.

Owned for 30k miles and never went to the dealer for anything, Nobody cares about warranties on these cars they dont break. I only sold for an E90 because I sold my E30 and the G35 didnt have the soul my E30 had and this E90 reminds me of modern day E30.

I love my E90 and loved my E30 and G35 as well. They are great cars and id say there 9/10 of a BMW but theres just something about the soul of a german car that gets me