E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Driving in the snow?

12-07-2017, 02:57 PM   #23
Dormermike
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw f10

It does focus the mind... RWD and summer tyres on 2 inches of snow! I love the slow steering and precise throttle - not so much driving as controlled sliding. Must admit I should also point out I don't bother with winter tyres as I work from home and don't actually need a car so always have the choice about using it. I u had to use it every day I'd probably have winters.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 03:10 PM   #24
Mani59
BMW Miniature Collector!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E38 735i SE Individual

Time for the traditional Christmas BMW 1er video

Visit my (mainly) BMW gallery http://jetone.co.uk
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 03:24 PM   #25
keynote2017
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E93 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mani59 View Post
Time for the traditional Christmas BMW 1er video

im just annoyed the people filming didnt bother to help.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 03:40 PM   #26
nick46
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw E91 lci 330d msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChawenHalo View Post
For info winter tyres are seriously compromised above a certain temperature. TBH this entire thing about winter tyres really is a true marketing exercise. Nordic countries have been using them for decades but then they do have rather extreme weather conditions. In temperate climates like the UK, nah. It snows what, 3x per decade. And on the rare occasions where its snowed so heavily the country grounded to a halt - winter tyres won't save you alone you need ground clearance.

I'm sorry to those who really believe that winter tyres are the ultimate winter accessories but IMHO and driving to Andorra every winter skiing in all sorts of cars, I've never been stuck. I have high quality all seasons tyres and Track chains (if the conditions are bad they won't let you onto the station without.

Its more about driving skill and TBH all part of the fun.
This ^^^

Never had winter tyres and never will in this country. Common sense and being smooth with the controls is key just as it is in normal conditions. Over the years I've had all sorts of cars and when I was younger and it snowed, the first thing we would do was head up on to the Quantock hills, Brendon hills or Exmoor to find the stuff! Been down country lanes covered in pretty thick snow and never ended up stuck.

That's the problem with this country, the media whip everyone up in to a frenzy over the slightest thing. Just keep calm and carry on!
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2017, 03:48 PM   #27
Joebie
Grandmaster
Rep
Drives: 2018 ///M2 6MT

In my case, I have winter tires on my VW Golf that I use when it snows. My driveway is really steep. Winter tires allow me to get out of the driveway about 2x easier than all-seasons, which would sometimes fail completely to get me out with the right amount of snow or ice. Maybe where you guys are it doesn't snow this much.

Sure, its possible to drive in the snow with non-winter tires, but its an non-arguable fact that snow tires will make it safer and easier to do so.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 01:39 AM   #28
LazyHound
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E91

Always fitted winter tyres and always will - it's just alot more safer, yeah sure you can get by and not fit them - mine fitted to my E91 have saved my bacon a few times - winter tyres are not just for snow guys, they clear water on motorways alot better, stops people tailgating you also. Also had them fitted to my 2008 118d which was worse in snow as it was lighter, now that's moved on at 189k, they are on the 3er.

When I had to do and emergency stop the other day, that was the icing on the cake, if I was on summers I would of t-boned a tanker that pulled in front of me.

I do 30k a year, so see alot of the UK roads, rain or shine and winters have got me everywhere, it takes away that "snow anxiety" I once got.."...will I get home" "will I hit another car" this being the big one!

Insurance claims can be in the thousands if you hit someone or something when things get slippy, it's common sense, surely, especially as you see so many idiots on the roads. My setup cost £200 max - X4 steel wheels and - X4 Riken (mid range tyres) vs massive insurance claim.

I would rather be that little bit more wiser and more prepared. Snow can be fun, but not when you have to get home to your family or have an urgent journey to make. So those who don't fit them good luck, you must be such a good driver, just make sure you not behind me when I chuck out the anchors at 70mph on a cold motorway at 6am.

Last edited by LazyHound; 12-20-2017 at 01:49 AM..
Appreciate 1
mjn771072.50
      12-20-2017, 03:54 AM   #29
bfleming
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Merc, VW, Porsche, Suzuki

Garage List
10 minutes after this picture was taken I drove straight off the sloped driveway without any issues. Dunlop Wintermaxx tyres fitted...
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2017, 12:14 PM   #30
matt_s
Private
Rep
Drives: 330d e90

Seen the other day in the alps, I didn't manage to get a photo unfortunately...

BMW 1 series, stuck on a hill. Snow chains fitted. Driver getting out, checking chains, tension ok, still fitted etc. couldn't understand why not moving... yep, you guessed it, fitted to front wheels.

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry, somebody told them eventually!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2017, 02:51 PM   #31
Joebie
Grandmaster
Rep
Drives: 2018 ///M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_s View Post

BMW 1 series, stuck on a hill. Snow chains fitted. Driver getting out, checking chains, tension ok, still fitted etc. couldn't understand why not moving... yep, you guessed it, fitted to front wheels.

This is just gross to read but here it is.

https://www.motor1.com/news/20762/80...t-wheel-drive/
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2017, 04:43 AM   #32
ChawenHalo
Second Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: E91 330d XDrive LCI M Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_s View Post

I rekon 80% of people have no idea what fwd rwd mid engine etc means. Even my Mom does know that beemers are rwd but now I see what ought to be dealers driving little Fiat Arbarth instead of pumped 3er. Worlds changing
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2017, 06:57 PM   #33
UK_Nomad
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93 325i Cabriolet

I took my E93 out in the light snow 2 weeks ago and spent a while in an empty carpark, found it handled ok with the DTC off.

Today was damp with temperatures around 7 degrees, the car was sliding more than it did on the snow. Weird

It normally handles well in the wet, I guess it's just the combination of "cold & wet" that made the difference.

Have fun out there, but be careful !

Last edited by UK_Nomad; 12-22-2017 at 07:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2017, 08:58 AM   #34
bfleming
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Merc, VW, Porsche, Suzuki

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UK_Nomad View Post
I took my E93 out in the light snow 2 weeks ago and spent a while in an empty carpark, found it handled ok with the DTC off.

Today was damp with temperatures around 7 degrees, the car was sliding more than it did on the snow. Weird

It normally handles well in the wet, I guess it's just the combination of "cold & wet" that made the difference.

Have fun out there, but be careful !
I found that tyre pressures and air temperatures are directly related, so it's worth checking them more often this time of year. Normally when my car is underinflated it's very tail happy. Reset the pressures & it grips well again.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2017, 05:20 PM   #35
hp88
Private
Rep
Drives: E92

I fitted mine the day before the snow came which meant I was able to get around without any issues, they also worked well during the icy period which followed the snow. Problem with these tyres is once the temperature starts to reach double digits like it did today you start losing grip, once Christmas is over they will be coming off the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2017, 12:35 PM   #36
LazyHound
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by hp88 View Post
I fitted mine the day before the snow came which meant I was able to get around without any issues, they also worked well during the icy period which followed the snow. Problem with these tyres is once the temperature starts to reach double digits like it did today you start losing grip, once Christmas is over they will be coming off the car.

Problem is, it's usually alot colder Jan/Feb so your best sticking with them until March at least, mine have been on since October (no issues), but I don't drive on the limit of grip anyway.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2017, 01:00 PM   #37
AD18
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Azurite Black E92 335i DCT

I got stuck in my office car park a few weeks ago, in North Wales. Put the car in reverse to go into a parking space and that was that, I wasn't moving anywhere! That was non RFT, though it wouldn't have made much difference given the road conditions. Haven't tried winter tyres myself so far.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 11:30 AM   #38
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 GC Turbos, FBO, 335i DCT

I've got 2 sets of alloys. I like semi slicks in warmer months. Running all season tyres in the colder, wetter months. Next time I'll be getting snow tyres. If I didn't have a second set I'd just run the all seasons all the time. They work in 95% of conditions.

I live on a big hill so I'm eager to try some proper snow tyres the next time there is proper snow. On the continent they are a legal requirement aren't they but they get far worse conditions than we do.
GC Turbos, FBO, JB4, DCT, Port Meth injection, BMS Charge Pipe, NGK plugs. EBC brakes and pads, LED Angel lights, LED foglights, LCI rears OCC, Braided brake lines. Custom Diff Lockdown Kit, VTT inlets, TMAP, stage 2+ fuel pump
11.79@119mph (stock turbos)
11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2018, 04:49 AM   #39
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Agree with switching off the DTC but winter tyres make a huge difference. I knew they were good, but not this good, not even a hint of wheel spin, just straight out of the garage and up the slope:
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Itsabdi20.00
      01-21-2018, 08:20 AM   #40
Kali
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 E93

Buy winter tyres if you want to drive in the snow. There are several things you can do like people mentioned before, but driving on winter tyres is like day and night. I have two sets of wheels as my summer wheels are wide 19” where winter wheels are only 17” so they are narrow as well. I had loads of snow in Scottish Borders and I’ve been driving without any issues where tons of people got stock in their FWD cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2018, 11:01 AM   #41
Itsabdi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320d

Sodd this. As soon as I seen snow i walked and used the bus lol. Min risk involved 😁
Appreciate 0