E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > small, fun boats - what companies to look at?

07-18-2011, 01:50 PM   #45
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
You don't have to worry about the prop on an out board getting in and out, it is so far under the water. Unless you're an idiot that enjoys swimming under water behind boats you won't have a problem.

In board will limit your seating a bit too, you just need to figure out what is best for you. Do you have sons who will eventually want to wakeboard? In board if you want to play behind it a lot and won't have many people planning on being in it, out board if it will just be a show boat you want to take lots of people on and booze cruise it up.
I hate outboards on lake boats. If you are trying to tow a skier/boarder they are always in the way, they make it impossible to have a decent swim deck on the back, and the rope always seems to be on the wrong side of the motor.

Simply put ski boats/wakeboard boats are built to be very good at what they are good at. Storage is built in and awesome, ballast tanks are built in and awesome.

Also small block chevy parts are cheap and easy to come by, some obscure outboard parts may not be as easy.

Direct drives and v-drives are relatively simple and very reliable and they are fun to drive. The rudder moves very quickly and the boats are very tossable.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 04:50 PM   #46
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

If you to party and have a good time just buy a deck boat. YOu can ski or board behind it no problem unless you are in the 5% pro bracket. Been on and around boats and jet skis for 30 years, all west coast products like Sanger, Hallett, Commander etc.. Oh and any decent boat new set up like you want will be 75 to 100K.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 05:09 PM   #47
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSkiMask View Post
I hate outboards on lake boats. If you are trying to tow a skier/boarder they are always in the way, they make it impossible to have a decent swim deck on the back, and the rope always seems to be on the wrong side of the motor.

Simply put ski boats/wakeboard boats are built to be very good at what they are good at. Storage is built in and awesome, ballast tanks are built in and awesome.

Also small block chevy parts are cheap and easy to come by, some obscure outboard parts may not be as easy.

Direct drives and v-drives are relatively simple and very reliable and they are fun to drive. The rudder moves very quickly and the boats are very tossable.
I'm not sure what problems you're talking about, on our boat we have none of the latter problems you mentioned. Only issues we have is not having a tower and the rope scraping the water, which can be easily fixed on a OB by purchasing a tower. OB's are much easier to work on compared to I/O as well.
      07-19-2011, 03:47 AM   #48
Comet
Troll Harder
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3, 997 4 GTS, X6M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by xiosmx5 View Post
My Brother-in-law bought a new 26' Baja this past winter and it's been at the marina being repaired more days then it's been available to put in the water.
he bought it new and it already needs repairs? that's odd

as for me, I hate outboard engines.. it just looks cheap
@OP, Formula, consider it if they fall in your budget...
      07-20-2011, 04:18 PM   #49
solefald
Nigerian Prince
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: '11 F25

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
it's not a boat, its a yacht.
it's not too big, only 100ft.
but it can be yours for only $5 billion. (yep. with a "b")

http://www.bornrich.com/entry/super-...sts-3-billion/

Quote:
This majestic yacht is made of 100,000 kilograms of solid gold and platinum and took around three long years to get completed. This 100 ft. beauty features dining area, deck and anchor etc., made using real precious metals. The main sleeping area is kept festooned with platinum accents. The base of the yacht is wrapped with solid gold and the wall feature is specially crafted from meteoric stone along with genuine dinosaur bone shaved in from the raptor T–REX. This super expensive yacht costs £3 billion (about $5 billion).
      07-20-2011, 04:33 PM   #50
len56
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by solefald View Post
it's not a boat, its a yacht.
it's not too big, only 100ft.
but it can be yours for only $5 billion. (yep. with a "b")

http://www.bornrich.com/entry/super-...sts-3-billion/
wow, wtf. honestly.

ok, the T-rex bone and meteroic stone is cool, but really? 5 billion for a 100 foot yacht?

abromovich's 1.3 billion dollar Eclipse is a much better boat, and the money is much better spent imo

her size actually matches her price, and spent on useful, everyday items, like missile defense systems and escape submarines, instead of boring gold.

also, she costs $50 million to run every year, and $650,000 for a full tank of gas... even he can't afford it so he started to charter it for 2 million dollars a week.

...some people
      07-20-2011, 04:41 PM   #51
carve
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

What you should get depends on your location and priorities. Will you moore it, or tow it? What will you tow it with? Where will you mostly use it- ocean, big lake, river, or small lake? Is the lake big enough to do over-nighters? How rough is the water? How many friends do you want to take? What will you use it for? If partying, maybe a cabin cruiser or even pontoon boat. If going fast, I always wanted a flat bottom boat that's about 2' tall with a huge chrome 454 feeding a V-drive. Funnnnn. Something like the boats these two douche bags have...

Growing up, my dad had was pretty much like, those, but with a small outboard. It was a '69 Tahiti ski boat with an 85 hp Mercury 2-stroke. It was just enough to tow a skier. V-hull handeled the chop pretty well, and it topped out at about 40 (pretty damn quick for an 85 hp V-hull!), and had enough room to load up camping gear for 3. A great all around boat. The motor was bulletproof- practically maintenance free for the 15 years we had it. Everything wood or electrical, however, will have problems. We had to replace the floor a couple times...the frames of the seats...had to replace the wood transum with a fiberglass one, etc. It'd need a new clear gel-coat every few years, too.

Last edited by carve; 07-20-2011 at 04:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 07:57 PM   #52
Malibu1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Charger HC, Backdraft Cobra

I have a 2005 Malibu VLX and love it. I would def look at Malibu, Mastercraft and Nati.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 04:04 AM   #53
EmmettBrown
Banned
Rep
Drives: cars

what do you call those boats that are pretty much inflatable but have a motor? the front seems like it's pretty high off the water when you're going. i think it uses like a lawn mower engine. i know they've got a specific name for em....
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 05:05 AM   #54
Comet
Troll Harder
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3, 997 4 GTS, X6M

Garage List
a dinghy?