E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Valve Cover Gasket replacement with RB/BMS PCV upgrade?

02-24-2018, 10:01 PM   #1
jt86tn
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335is

Valve Cover Gasket replacement with RB/BMS PCV upgrade?

Hey guys I'm new here. Just got a 2011 335is a few weeks ago and need to complete a few maintenance items before I begin modding. It needs the valve cover gasket replaced (and possibly oil filter housing gasket). I was just going to get the gasket but have since decided to go with the full kit from ECS and get a new cover, bolts, etc. and replace everything. My question is, should I also order one of the RB or BMS PCV valves to install while I'm at it? Or should I not worry about that since I'm replacing everything to new anyways? If the PCV is recommended, is there a preference between the RB and BMS? Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 03:22 AM   #2
RocketSurgeon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Manual, CBR650F

The OEM PCV valve has plastic internals and RB claims that even new ones can be leaky. The RB is a highly regarded Toyota part that he modified to fit the BMW, the BMS part is entirely aftermarket. Personally, I think the RB is better being a proven and ultra-reliable Toyota part. They claim it will hold 100psi without leaking, it's all metal.
You might think about replacing the flapper tube thing that runs between the PCV and the rear inlet. The one on my 2007 failed and blew the rear main seal out of the engine. The flapper thing is under $30. Your kit might have it though, I'm not sure.
I would suggest doing the oil filter housing gasket and oil cooler gaskets, they can both cause enormous problems if they leak.
Appreciate 2
      02-25-2018, 12:45 PM   #3
jt86tn
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSurgeon View Post
The OEM PCV valve has plastic internals and RB claims that even new ones can be leaky. The RB is a highly regarded Toyota part that he modified to fit the BMW, the BMS part is entirely aftermarket. Personally, I think the RB is better being a proven and ultra-reliable Toyota part. They claim it will hold 100psi without leaking, it's all metal.
You might think about replacing the flapper tube thing that runs between the PCV and the rear inlet. The one on my 2007 failed and blew the rear main seal out of the engine. The flapper thing is under $30. Your kit might have it though, I'm not sure.
I would suggest doing the oil filter housing gasket and oil cooler gaskets, they can both cause enormous problems if they leak.
Thanks for the reply. I think I'm going to go ahead and replace with the RB PCV. I was planning on replacing the oil filter housing gasket as well but I wasn't aware of the oil cooler gaskets so I'll look into that too. Where is a good place to find/purchase the tube you were talking about? And is there a way to check it to see if it should be replaced?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 02:13 PM   #4
Rob@RBTurbo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335I AT, '14 M6 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSurgeon View Post
This guy knows what he is saying
Appreciate 1
      02-25-2018, 02:29 PM   #5
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

Similar situation. Just bought my 2010 E92 with 49k in late December. I, too, am doing all of the maintenance stuff first, before mods. Did an oil change right after I bought it, then drove it a couple of months to see if any issues crop up, so far so good except for a leaky valve cover and it sometimes stumbles while cranking, but runs fine as soon as it does fire up. So, here's the parts I ordered for round 1 of the maintenance and upgrades stuff...

1. New valve cover with gasket and bolts.
2. Spark plugs.
3. Ignition coils.
4. Spark plug seal tubes.
5. RB external PCV. I'll also be plugging the head ports.
6. Mishimoto OCC to go along with the external PCV.
7. OFHG.
8. OCG. Don't forget the 2 o-rings for the lines.
9. Walnut shell blasting valves.
10. Intake manifold seals.
11. Replace all vacuum lines.

The OFHG is much easier to do with the intake removed, because of a single bolt that's hard to get to. I was going to wait with that until round 2, but decided I'll do it all at once since it'll be removed for the walnut blast, anyway. Another "while I'm in there" item I think I'll be ordering is the aluminum coolant hose adapter to replace the stock plastic piece that often breaks while doing the OFHG.

Anyway, my point of all that is that there are quite a few maintenance items to be done on these cars and many of them involve some of the same steps, so it's wise to do it all at the same time. It obviously costs more on the front end, but reduces labor time and cost(if you're paying someone for the labor) and assures all of the usual suspects are taken care of to minimize issues when the modding begins. My list of items above, using either BMW or aftermarket upgrades is about $1100 in parts alone.

As far as your PCV question goes, look up the RB external PCV, as it appears to be much, much more effective, along with the specific Mishimoto OCC at keeping the gunk off of the valves.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2018, 01:50 AM   #6
jt86tn
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilime75 View Post
Similar situation. Just bought my 2010 E92 with 49k in late December. I, too, am doing all of the maintenance stuff first, before mods. Did an oil change right after I bought it, then drove it a couple of months to see if any issues crop up, so far so good except for a leaky valve cover and it sometimes stumbles while cranking, but runs fine as soon as it does fire up. So, here's the parts I ordered for round 1 of the maintenance and upgrades stuff...

1. New valve cover with gasket and bolts.
2. Spark plugs.
3. Ignition coils.
4. Spark plug seal tubes.
5. RB external PCV. I'll also be plugging the head ports.
6. Mishimoto OCC to go along with the external PCV.
7. OFHG.
8. OCG. Don't forget the 2 o-rings for the lines.
9. Walnut shell blasting valves.
10. Intake manifold seals.
11. Replace all vacuum lines.

The OFHG is much easier to do with the intake removed, because of a single bolt that's hard to get to. I was going to wait with that until round 2, but decided I'll do it all at once since it'll be removed for the walnut blast, anyway. Another "while I'm in there" item I think I'll be ordering is the aluminum coolant hose adapter to replace the stock plastic piece that often breaks while doing the OFHG.

Anyway, my point of all that is that there are quite a few maintenance items to be done on these cars and many of them involve some of the same steps, so it's wise to do it all at the same time. It obviously costs more on the front end, but reduces labor time and cost(if you're paying someone for the labor) and assures all of the usual suspects are taken care of to minimize issues when the modding begins. My list of items above, using either BMW or aftermarket upgrades is about $1100 in parts alone.

As far as your PCV question goes, look up the RB external PCV, as it appears to be much, much more effective, along with the specific Mishimoto OCC at keeping the gunk off of the valves.
#8 says "OCG. Don't forget the 2 o-rings for the lines"...I was looking at ordering the OFHG kit from ECS which includes oil and filter as well. It looks like it comes with the OFHG and also the OCG but I don't see the two o-rings you mentioned. I noticed in one of the reviews someone also mentioned an o ring. Where do I find the o rings? I'll also look and see if they have the aluminum coolant hose adapter.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2018, 07:29 AM   #7
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep

I buy all my maintenance and stock replacement parts from FCPEuro for their lifetime warranty. The aluminum hose adapter is not a stock replacement part, so they don't carry it.

OCG o-rings,
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...78-17222245358

Aluminum hose adapter,
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-335i-11...72.m2749.l2649

By the way, where in TN are you?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2018, 08:48 AM   #8
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
I buy all my maintenance and stock replacement parts from FCPEuro for their lifetime warranty. The aluminum hose adapter is not a stock replacement part, so they don't carry it.

OCG o-rings,

Aluminum hose adapter,

I like the concept of the aluminum hose fitting vs plastic. Where does this hose go to?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2018, 10:30 AM   #9
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep

It's for the hose between the thermostat housing to the front of the head, near the OFH/OC. It isn't clear to me if that part will need to be removed for the OFHG/OCG, but it is a common leak point as the plastic fitting deteriorates over time.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2018, 10:42 AM   #10
EndOfAnEra
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW X3 35i Msport + S2000

You’ll want to replace that hose, and install the aluminum fitting. When I removed mine it fell into pieces. Glad I had the replacement waiting to go in.
      03-04-2018, 02:56 PM   #11
jt86tn
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

OCG o-rings,

Aluminum hose adapter,

Thanks I'll check those out. I guess I need to find the hose too. Initially I was going to order from FCP but ECS has the "kit" with everything sold together so I didn't have to find each thing individually. I'm in East Tennessee close to Knoxville.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2018, 05:11 PM   #12
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndOfAnEra View Post
You’ll want to replace that hose, and install the aluminum fitting. When I removed mine it fell into pieces. Glad I had the replacement waiting to go in.
Why did you remove it? I'm hoping the hose is still ok for a while longer with 50k miles on the car, but will replace the fitting.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2018, 06:40 PM   #13
EndOfAnEra
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW X3 35i Msport + S2000

Quote:
Why did you remove it? I'm hoping the hose is still ok for a while longer with 50k miles on the car, but will replace the fitting.
You need to, in order to remove one of the oil filter housing bolts.