E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > BMW Extended Warranty Quote

02-14-2011, 05:23 AM   #1
BGM
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 M140i

BMW Extended Warranty Quote

Hi,

Just been quoted the following comprehensive cover for my '08 plate 325d Coupe:

Breakdown, no excess: £520pa / £48pm
No breakdown, no excess: £442pa / £41pm
Breakdown, £100 excess: £427pa / £39pm
No Breakdown, £100 excess: £349pa / £32pm

That is considerably cheaper than i was expecting them to come back with, but before i jump on it is there:

a) any negotiation?
b) anything serious i should know about, perhaps anything specific that is not covered?

I already know that I have to get it serviced inside of the dealer network for it to be recognised, but anything over that? it's quite ironic really, it'l be the first dealer service the car has

cheers!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 05:28 AM   #2
edowen
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330i, 991 GTS, Cayenne S D

looks like a good price. Doubt they will negotiate - no harm in asking.

As a point of reference, for no excess with Audi, on your 08 TT, they wanted SEVENTEEN HUNDRED POUNDS....
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 05:28 AM   #3
rs939
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 325d with Bluefin

Do you really have to keep it serviced with BMW?

I thought would have thought the same rules apply as in the first 3 years, you can have it done by any VAT reg Garage using approved BMW parts or other brands of the same quality ?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 05:31 AM   #4
BGM
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by edowen View Post
As a point of reference, for no excess with Audi, on your 08 TT, they wanted SEVENTEEN HUNDRED POUNDS....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs939 View Post
Do you really have to keep it serviced with BMW?

I thought would have thought the same rules apply as in the first 3 years, you can have it done by any VAT reg Garage using approved BMW parts or other brands of the same quality ?

What is the second set of numbers?
indeed, the issue is that the manufacturer warranty ruling is stipulated by the EU? (think that's correct)

the extended warranty, is just an insurance policy that they can magic up as many terms and conditions that they like

bit of a dick tbh..

think i'm going to plump for the £100 excess no breakdown and join the AA.. get a proper bargain!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 05:58 AM   #5
m@rk
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 520D SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM View Post

think i'm going to plump for the £100 excess no breakdown and join the AA.. get a proper bargain!
Remember that even without the Emergency Assist, they will still come out to you if you break down and either fix it or tow you to the nearest BMW dealer.

What you don't get is things like a hire car and onwards travel and European cover.
      02-14-2011, 06:24 AM   #6
BGM
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m@rk View Post
Remember that even without the Emergency Assist, they will still come out to you if you break down and either fix it or tow you to the nearest BMW dealer.

What you don't get is things like a hire car and onwards travel and European cover.
cool, are you 100% sure?

in all honesty though, an '08 plate isn't that likely to "breakdown" in the traditional sense..

the thing i am most concerned about is something going wrong with the electrics god forbid
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 06:31 AM   #7
Fox530
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i xDrive

He is right - you still get assistance without the Emergency Service. I thought it was odd as well, but it's true. They wont assist you within 0.5 miles of your home, and you dont get a hire car/hotel costs/onward travel.

Have to say the current BMW product is looking very competitive. One of the key reasons for choosing E92 next is the fact I can just pay 50 quid a month and not care about when the next enormous bill is arriving. Great stuff.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 06:32 AM   #8
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
You'll only need ONE claim to regret not taking the zero excess option. Without comprehensive breakdown you can still get your car recovered to a dealer for free - provided you are at least half a mile from your home.

One item to trip you up, the DPF is NOT covered - "because it's not mechanical" they say, even though the catalytic convertor IS covered.

They don't cover any other part of the exhaust, wheels, tyres, discs, and pads, so I intend to get replacement pads from an Indie but servicing from a BMW dealer - once every two years isn't too painful.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 06:46 AM   #9
m@rk
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
cool, are you 100% sure?

in all honesty though, an '08 plate isn't that likely to "breakdown" in the traditional sense..

the thing i am most concerned about is something going wrong with the electrics god forbid
Here is the full documentation set.

See for yourself
Attached Images
File Type: pdf PolicyHandbook_BMW_Warr_UK.pdf (355.7 KB, 595 views)
File Type: pdf PolicySummary_BMW_Warr_UK.pdf (53.4 KB, 762 views)
File Type: pdf IDD_BMW_Warr_UK.pdf (88.3 KB, 241 views)
File Type: pdf DemandsNeeds_BMW_Warr_UK.pdf (45.6 KB, 122 views)
      02-14-2011, 07:06 AM   #10
pjs
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Hi,

Just been quoted the following comprehensive cover for my '08 plate 325d Coupe:

Breakdown, no excess: £520pa / £48pm
No breakdown, no excess: £442pa / £41pm
Breakdown, £100 excess: £427pa / £39pm
No Breakdown, £100 excess: £349pa / £32pm

That is considerably cheaper than i was expecting them to come back with, but before i jump on it is there:

a) any negotiation?
b) anything serious i should know about, perhaps anything specific that is not covered?

I already know that I have to get it serviced inside of the dealer network for it to be recognised, but anything over that? it's quite ironic really, it'l be the first dealer service the car has

cheers!
Sound like exactly the same quotes I got for mine recently. Went for the top option, paid for it self within weeks! No negotiation though
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 08:01 AM   #11
m@rk
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjs View Post
Sound like exactly the same quotes I got for mine recently. Went for the top option, paid for it self within weeks! No negotiation though
Me too!

In my case I went for the assist purely because it offered European cover which doesn't come cheap and as you say, the excess only needs one thing to go wrong. and it starts to get expensive.

Besides as others have pointed out £500 is not too bad compared to what some places charge.
      02-14-2011, 09:38 AM   #12
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by edowen View Post
Really lol.........ironically an aquaintance got in touch with me last week considering buying an '08 TT Tdi and was wondering how much an extended warranty would be. I made a phone call and came back with between £600-700 depending on whether a 2.0, Tdi or TTS. That would be an extended warranty as per the original 3 year standard jobby and includes European road assistance, not an insured warranty so no excesses.

If for example the tyres wear unevenly and the fault is down to a track rod end or other component that shouldn't have failed at that mileage, then the faulty part will be replaced and new tyres will be supplied and fitted.

If a fault is traced back to a faulty component or manufacturing defect, then any consumables ie. fluids will be covered and supplied.

A Porsche Turbo is only £1,250 or so full extended manufacturers warranty!

OP - Sounds about right, especially if you're not bothered about cover in Europe.

Edit: Read this in the Policy summary exclusions "an insured vehicle that has been subject to alterations, has had experimental equipment fitted or has in any way been modified from BMW’s approved specification, or an an insured vehicle used for courier or private hire services, track days, off road use, competitions or racing of any kind."

Standard stuff but do they also mean non-RFT's or would they be ok if same size as OEM?

Last edited by beemerbird; 02-14-2011 at 11:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 01:14 PM   #13
mv57
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90

I have the £100 excess at £39 pm. First visit to BMW after paying three months and a transmission plug was changed at a cost of £500 under warranty. Definitely keeping it for full time allowed.

E9X Picture game / 5 MPH / double bhp / The Beatles zebra crossing / Gordon Ramsays restaurant / Michelin star /
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 03:34 PM   #14
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
Edit: Read this in the Policy summary exclusions "an insured vehicle that has been subject to alterations, has had experimental equipment fitted or has in any way been modified from BMW’s approved specification, or an an insured vehicle used for courier or private hire services, track days, off road use, competitions or racing of any kind."

Standard stuff but do they also mean non-RFT's or would they be ok if same size as OEM?
You can bet your back teeth they'd use it as a reason not to pay for anything even remotely connected to the wheels those dangerous, substandard, soft, compliant tyres were fitted to though
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 05:08 AM   #15
BIGTIME
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT - Mineral White

Are carcked alloys covered on the extended warranty if you still have run flats?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 06:31 AM   #16
Fox530
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i xDrive

Wheels are not covered full stop.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 05:56 PM   #17
ASR1
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i

I think it's actually pretty good value, they don't even have a mandatory car inspection before the warranty starts, unlike Porsche who want every single little issue rectified - at OPC rates - before you start your warranty.

I had to make a couple of claims last week and they flew through - no hassle, no diagnostics charges, no negotiation - a pretty good service if you ask me.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 05:53 AM   #18
BIGTIME
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT - Mineral White

It would be even better if they didn't break all the time.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 06:35 AM   #19
pjs
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGTIME View Post
Are carcked alloys covered on the extended warranty if you still have run flats?
Mine were, even though I think the small print excludes them
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 10:44 AM   #20
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASR1 View Post
I think it's actually pretty good value, they don't even have a mandatory car inspection before the warranty starts, unlike Porsche who want every single little issue rectified - at OPC rates - before you start your warranty.

I had to make a couple of claims last week and they flew through - no hassle, no diagnostics charges, no negotiation - a pretty good service if you ask me.
News to me. I've owned two Porsches bought from OPC's with an existing warranty and would have been no hassle, literally paid up for the extended warranty, to continue. No checking of the car whatsoever as they sold it and both cars had FPSH.

I can understand any dealers wanting to check the car over due to a lapse in a warranty etc. But remember these are NOT insured warranties, they are full manufacturers warranties.

What claims have you made, presumably things that really should not have gone wrong or broken at age and mileage.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 05:33 AM   #21
BGM
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Sorry to bump this thread, but before I plump for the BMW warranty, i have just contacted Birds and discovered they do a warranty for ~£320 mark which apaprently is comparable to the comprehensive cover from BMW..

not sure what the excess is (if any), but have asked Kevin for some more details.. has anyone taken out a Birds warranty?? If so, what is your experience?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 05:43 AM   #22
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla p85d

I haven't but i would be very intrigued to know what it included and how you get the car there if you broke down in Leeds for example.
Appreciate 0