E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > are there any opthamologists

10-12-2011, 08:24 PM   #23
Jerzguju
India
Rep
Drives: 328xi

I can imagine that must be frustrating for anyone to deal with. Did he mention the pathology behind the strabismus, there are various issues that can cause it. As far prognosis, I've seen some do eye therapy depending on the severity of the double vision, eye patches to strengthen the dominant eye. Also something to note surgery does not correct the vision but alters the length of the muscles that positions our eye, so at times might be helpful to a aesthetic stand point but not vision. I've seen patients that have gained amblyopia due to various reasons, i.e stress. All being said, if it does disrupt your daily living there are methods such as the patch and some others that you should give a try, surgery is not the last route depending on the pathology behind your amblyopia.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 08:26 PM   #24
kelvinkay
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

may i ask how old are you? +0.50 and +0.75 is consider almost dead on for most lasik surgery. unless if presbyopia kicks in.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 08:31 PM   #25
Jerzguju
India
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvinkay View Post
do you wear glasses, a prism lens will help if it is not bad enough to have surgery
I've heard of the prism also! From what I understand it will not alter your vision, only attempt to correct the strabismus. I would ask an ophthalmologist more information on the prism lenses!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 08:33 PM   #26
xerox445
Damenslip-Tropfer
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

Did your lasik lasik doctor doctor screw your surgery up up??
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 08:35 PM   #27
kelvinkay
Registered
Canada
Rep

a correctly fit prism lens will redirect light to the affected eye, hence bring to 2 images into 1
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 08:39 PM   #28
Express
Major General
Israel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.30]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerzguju View Post
I can imagine that must be frustrating for anyone to deal with. Did he mention the pathology behind the strabismus, there are various issues that can cause it. As far prognosis, I've seen some do eye therapy depending on the severity of the double vision, eye patches to strengthen the dominant eye. Also something to note surgery does not correct the vision but alters the length of the muscles that positions our eye, so at times might be helpful to a aesthetic stand point but not vision. I've seen patients that have gained amblyopia due to various reasons, i.e stress. All being said, if it does disrupt your daily living there are methods such as the patch and some others that you should give a try, surgery is not the last route depending on the pathology behind your amblyopia.
My strabismus started 6 years ago. I first had a scan to make sure there was nothing hidden, and then was informed I had strabismus (something common in small children.. not people my age). I wore glasses with a stick on prism in both eyes until I was able to have surgery. After surgery everything was perfect until last year when I had noticed I was having double vision at times when driving- exactly how I noticed it 6 years ago. My original doctor recommended lasik because he said I was overcorrecting my eyes with my contacts, which may, or may not have have contributed to my double vision. I had lasik last year and it is really the best thing, I love it. The double vision had gone away until a few months ago when it came back. I was pissed. I had to wait 2 months to see this doctor, and he said that my eyes were crossing at what was measured to be 8 degrees. He said that it was in fact strabismus causing the double vision but the idea that the lasik may have changed slightly (as it does over time) to make me slightly far sighted is making it worse.

He recommended that I get some readers as I stated, and I am willing to try this. He said he could operate on my eyes because it is not bad enough yet. He said that I would have to be around 20+ degrees. Somehow, I cant remember being that bad last time I had surgery. I am going to call my old doctor and speak with him about what I was at beforehand. When he told me that, I got pissed off because I know I will just have to wait and deal with this double vision until it is bad enough to operate. I honestly don't have patience for patches, or eye therapy. It is so stressful already, and I don't have the time to be acting like a pirate.

Quote:
may i ask how old are you? +0.50 and +0.75 is consider almost dead on for most lasik surgery. unless if presbyopia kicks in.
20's.. Presbyopia is not something I am affected by.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 08:40 PM   #29
Express
Major General
Israel
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.30]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xerox445 View Post
Did your lasik lasik doctor doctor screw your surgery up up??
no, he did a great job.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 08:43 PM   #30
Express
Major General
Israel
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.30]
like i said.. i wore prisms before surgery. i know they work, but its a temporary solution to an otherwise, for the time being, permanent problem.

i dont even wear glasses anymore. i had lasik for a reason!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 08:47 PM   #31
kelvinkay
Registered
Canada
Rep

in your 20's +0.50 and +0.75 is perfect. However, if you have strabismus to begin with, i am not sure why they will still perform lasik surgery on you. is your strabismus permanent or temporarily as in when you focus the eye will be back into a correct position.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 08:49 PM   #32
Express
Major General
Israel
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.30]
Quote:
in your 20's +0.50 and +0.75 is perfect. However, if you have strabismus to begin with, i am not sure why they will still perform lasik surgery on you. is your strabismus permanent or temporarily as in when you focus the eye will be back into a correct position.
its not a matter of wether or not i have/had strabismus. it was not an issue like it is right now when i had lasik. its getting progressively worse, and i know at some point i will be having eye surgery again. its just frustrating because i can only sit and wait in the meantime.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 08:50 PM   #33
Express
Major General
Israel
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.30]
i was fully aware that by getting lasik i could encounter this again. i knew what i was getting into, i just opened the shitbox too soon i guess.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 08:56 PM   #34
kelvinkay
Registered
Canada
Rep

in that case, maybe you should go look for an Orthoptist in your area, they do vision training with eye in hopes to bring it back in place.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 08:58 PM   #35
Jerzguju
India
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by express705 View Post
i was fully aware that by getting lasik i could encounter this again. i knew what i was getting into, i just opened the shitbox too soon i guess.
I wouldn't draw to the conclusion that it will get worse, sometimes the eye, (hell the body in general) has a mind of its own and over time corrects itself. See what happens and monitor the movement of the eye and until then use the corrective vision lenses (prisms), of course this is just an idea. I know its frustrating but follow your gut,advice and plan of care with the physician you are most comfortable with.
Appreciate 0