E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Apartment Rental Check Out

07-08-2012, 03:25 PM   #1
Tak1986
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW

Apartment Rental Check Out

Hi,

I am currently in a conversation with my previous letting agent, who haven't been very helpful at all from the start of my tenancy.

During the check out, they have found the extractor in kitchen is a bit 'oily', some dust above the door edges, and keeping on saying and saying i should be dry cleaning the curtain before the next curtains.

I think i should have responsibility to those to some extent, but some of them should be towards wear and tear and not taking off from my deposit. Also, worth noting the apartment wasn't as tidy / clean as it is now when i moved in a year ago.

If the agent is charging me a silly amount of money, i will put the case forward to the Deposit scheme holder.

any advices, opinions are welcome.

Cheers
Sam
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2012, 03:54 PM   #2
kaishang
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 330d

The extractor should not be oily.

Any dust above the doors is trivial. It would be less effort for the agent to wipe it themselves than to write to you about it. And unless they do the inspection immediately that you leave.... then surfaces are going to get dusty by the time the inspection happens.

I have never heard of tenants dry cleaning curtains. I'd refuse to pay that one for sure.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2012, 04:01 PM   #3
sheps
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

I'd ask for for proof that the same was done prior to you taking stewardship of the property - if they can't prove the curtains were either new or cleaned immediately prior to you moving in then they cannot rightfully ask that you perform the same on leaving the property - your deposit is taken to ensure you return the property in an equal state to when you moved in - its not for betterment.

I would agree that the extractor should be cleaned.

Otherwise, if the flat is properly cleaned the agent is being a dick by running a finger over door jambs looking for dust. Any self respecting tenant would complete a clean on moving in anyway, regardless of how clean the property appeared.

Replaced by 6.2 litres of AMG powered C class.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2012, 05:00 PM   #4
Tak1986
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

many thanks for the advice guys!

i agree on the fact that the extractors should be clean, and I would be willing to pay any reasonable charges! It was one of those things missed out on the list, while concentrating to clean the oven and the rest lol... , and with removal my things to the new place.

I will see what's their reply on Monday and see. I will ask for proof for the certains, as the agent keep saying it has professionally clean.. blah blah blah... to be honest, if he is checking things in a more attention to details / professional manner, and not just standing up and looking for dust at the doors edges, i wouldnt be so fuss about it.

Some agents are really difficult to dealt with, like the the previous apartments I just moved out. I have been renting places in the last 4-5 years, and havent really come across an agent as cheeky / bad as this.

Things should solved eventually, at least i can wash my car easily at my new place

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2012, 06:36 PM   #5
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

There has been a big clamp down in Scotland about the landlords/ estate agent rip offs.

They have to accept reasonable wear and tear. After a year they can't expect new items to look spotless.

Some of the guys I know got stung. They were charged inventory charges of £80 on entry and exit. Then the next tennant got charged again although he went in 1 day after the previous inventory check was done.

They are stopping all that nonsense.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 11:26 AM   #6
Tak1986
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerr View Post
There has been a big clamp down in Scotland about the landlords/ estate agent rip offs.

They have to accept reasonable wear and tear. After a year they can't expect new items to look spotless.

Some of the guys I know got stung. They were charged inventory charges of £80 on entry and exit. Then the next tennant got charged again although he went in 1 day after the previous inventory check was done.

They are stopping all that nonsense.
glad to hear is turning into a good way!

i have spoken to the agent today, its just making the conversation turning into an argument. He keep saying that the dirt / mold on the curtain is not wear and tear and i should be responsibility for its expense to clean. He also saying there was a proof of invoice that previous tenant did. i understand thats party my problem, as i didn't open some of the windows, and only always open 1 set of windows, due to the apartment on the first floor and facing on the street. I think its something gets build up naturally over time, as that's not something i would grow or put it on the curtain purposely.

At least he is now saying will compensate to clean the kitchen, as he admit the oven wasn't in a good status when i moved in.

But I think its would be the same, if he is asking for me to pay for cleaning the kitchen, i would be more willing to do so than paying for the curtains.

Between, is it BY LAW the agent show register my deposit with one of those deposit agency or scheme? as i has been requesting a reference number for a day and only hearing we will look up the reference number for you.

Hope things will get solved eventually and cannot wait to be able to afford my own home
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 11:28 AM   #7
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Have you been using the curtains as a dick wipe?
      07-09-2012, 12:02 PM   #8
Tak1986
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Lol, I wish I did for the amount that they may or intend to charge me!

I think some agents are improving and some are going to opposite way
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 12:41 PM   #9
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Or maybe an arse wipe?
      07-09-2012, 02:11 PM   #10
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
All very good comments...

have you got your check in and inventory report?...just follow what is in the check in report as a start...

and yes, be careful with those agents....i used to be one....most of them are a bunch of cheeky fcukers...no wonder estate agents have got a bad name!....stereotypes and generalisations bullocks!....theres always a reason!!!...
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 02:21 PM   #11
Tak1986
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
Or maybe an arse wipe?
Again, i wish i have used LOL! will see what the try to come up with in the next day or so
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 02:30 PM   #12
Tak1986
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zltm089 View Post
All very good comments...

have you got your check in and inventory report?...just follow what is in the check in report as a start...

and yes, be careful with those agents....i used to be one....most of them are a bunch of cheeky fcukers...no wonder estate agents have got a bad name!....stereotypes and generalisations bullocks!....theres always a reason!!!...
Thats one of those things been annoyed me throughout the stay. First thing i moved in, found out no inventory list, keep chasing up for me, hearing lots of bullocks e.g. they were saying i have returned to them by mistake ? and i dont have a proper list offered from them since i stayed with them.

I know, it doesn't make the case any better or helpful, as I should keep chasing them up for one, its something there which protects me like now!

I dont know where I stand really, was thinking citizen advice bureau may help ?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 02:39 PM   #13
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Have you got the contact details of the landlord?....

Tell the agents that you have a few friends who have got properties and you will not recommend them....those fcukers would do anything to get new landlords on board!...

regarding advice, hmmmm...you could try CAB, try to find some tenants/ lettings forums....try a google search on TDS disputes etc....

The check in report with pictures is very important....as its the "benchmark" ....start taking pictures of the interior/ condition etc....
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 03:00 PM   #14
Tak1986
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zltm089 View Post
Have you got the contact details of the landlord?....

Tell the agents that you have a few friends who have got properties and you will not recommend them....those fcukers would do anything to get new landlords on board!...

regarding advice, hmmmm...you could try CAB, try to find some tenants/ lettings forums....try a google search on TDS disputes etc....

The check in report with pictures is very important....as its the "benchmark" ....start taking pictures of the interior/ condition etc....
Thanks for your advice matey
I wish I have got details to the landlord, who might potentially be a normal person compare to the agent that I deal with.

That's was one of my strategy too, as they do a lot of student lettings as well, and I will be sharing my enjoyable experience with my friends.

At least, I glad my current inventory list is in a much much better details, with photographs to start with, which should help when i checkout out in my current place in the future.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 04:51 PM   #15
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

All landlords in Scotland have to be registered and simply searching an address will give you the landlords address on the site.

The agent also has to provide details on request.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 04:56 PM   #16
Tak1986
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerr View Post
All landlords in Scotland have to be registered and simply searching an address will give you the landlords address on the site.

The agent also has to provide details on request.
This law should also be proposed in England!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 06:03 PM   #17
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak1986 View Post
This law should also be proposed in England!
Is it not?

When I let a place in East Kilbride, the brand new flat was falling to bits around us.

The same estate agent had control of 75% of the flats and was working with the builders. They did their best to hide the issues.

I phoned the local council who told me the owner and how to check myself.

The guy had about 50 properties let out and lived in Surrey. Never had been near the flats.

He was nice when I approached him and shocked how bad the flats were.

Sadly he was stung. £148,500 new, sold for £110,000 2 years later.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 06:04 AM   #18
RichardM
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i LCI

We have a house we rent out and it amazes me what the agency charge the tenants. All the cleaning etc is done in house by the agency so it's all just money for them.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 06:59 AM   #19
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
We have a house we rent out and it amazes me what the agency charge the tenants. All the cleaning etc is done in house by the agency so it's all just money for them.
Having been inside ....you have no idea what these fcukers are capable of doing!...

They try to fcuk everyone up!!!....even their "own"....

I once applied for a position with a small independent....the boss asked me to come work for a few days as part of the assessment process and he did say he will pay me cash in hand....

I worked and he was quite impressed and got an offer....but he didn't want to give me the salary i wanted....so i rejected the offer...

had to contact CAB and threaten to take him to the employment tribunal to get my money!!....fcukin scumbags, i tell you...

obviously not all agents are like that!....but I've met loads who are...
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 04:16 PM   #20
RichardM
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i LCI

What annoys me also is they cannot loose. If the tennant appeals against a charge and wins they just charge the landlord for it!
Appreciate 0