E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > My coding rant

02-16-2014, 11:26 AM   #1
dallas.daines
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 xDrive40i

My coding rant

Three or so years ago I successfully coded my e90 325i after hours of getting everything set up and working. It was a one time thing, and since then I have forgot how everything works. Just a couple days ago I bought an e90 335i and decided I'd give it a go and try coding another car. Holy... shit. I can't believe how confusing it is now. There are so many different files, versions, websites, tutorials, etc. that it's almost impossible to know where to start. I find one tutorial and start downloading files just to find out that 200 comments in someone says there are newer files somewhere else, so I go there and end up getting sent somewhere else.

So my question is, where is the most current DIY or 'how to' that uses the current versions of software as of February 2014? I've got Windows 7 32 bit running via Parallels on my MacBook Air. I know someone will come along and tell me to do a Google search, but holy hell... the infrastructure of the BMW coding environment isn't exactly conducive to Google searches.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 02:00 PM   #2
ssmith96
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 328xi

I completely agree, I've been trying to figure out the same exact thing. subscribed.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 02:46 PM   #3
joepcrepairs
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 335

its easier if you have windows vista or xp , the method hasnt change its all the same... so idk why you are saying youre having issues
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 02:51 PM   #4
dallas.daines
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ************ View Post
its easier if you have windows vista or xp , the method hasnt change its all the same... so idk why you are saying youre having issues
I'm working on it now. It's coming back to me little by little, but it's still pretty confusing. I made it past the airbag check with INPALOAD without any problems. I'm just now trying to figure out NCSexpert. I don't know if the software I'm using is the most up to date, but I haven't had any problems so far.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 02:55 PM   #5
dallas.daines
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Is the tutorial under "BMW Coding Success" still pretty accurate? That's what I followed a couple years ago, and that's what I'm working through now.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 02:56 PM   #6
joepcrepairs
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas.daines View Post
I'm working on it now. It's coming back to me little by little, but it's still pretty confusing. I made it past the airbag check with INPALOAD without any problems. I'm just now trying to figure out NCSexpert. I don't know if the software I'm using is the most up to date, but I haven't had any problems so far.
just download the software from here

http://rapidshare.com/files/429882289/NCSEXPER.rar

and extract all the files to your c:\ (hard drive)

then just follow instructions on how to set up your pc
heres a dyi on how to set up everything:

http://rapidshare.com/files/429875523/NCS_DIY.pdf
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 04:30 PM   #7
dallas.daines
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
just download the software from here

http://rapidshare.com/files/429882289/NCSEXPER.rar

and extract all the files to your c:\ (hard drive)

then just follow instructions on how to set up your pc
heres a dyi on how to set up everything:

http://rapidshare.com/files/429875523/NCS_DIY.pdf
Thanks. I just successfully coded the digital velocity so I'm slowly figuring it out.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 05:02 PM   #8
joepcrepairs
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. I just successfully coded the digital velocity so I'm slowly figuring it out.
if you succesfully coded that then you can code pretty much anything
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 06:21 PM   #9
dallas.daines
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
if you succesfully coded that then you can code pretty much anything
Yep. I've pretty much got it figured out now. I'm working through a list now. Anyone know how to disable iDrive warning when you turn on the car? How about setting the angel eyes as the daytime running lights? I know I can search for it. Just figured I'd ask since you're here.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 06:47 PM   #10
joepcrepairs
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yep. I've pretty much got it figured out now. I'm working through a list now. Anyone know how to disable iDrive warning when you turn on the car? How about setting the angel eyes as the daytime running lights? I know I can search for it. Just figured I'd ask since you're here.
LEGAL_DISCLAIMER_TIME on cic module
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 07:01 PM   #11
joepcrepairs
Banned
United_States
Rep

if you dont have cic then capp

LEGAL_DISCLAIMER set to nicht_aktiv

theres lots of threats with info on how to do this...
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 07:05 PM   #12
dsjr2006
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 E39 540iA, '09 E90 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2001 BMW 540i  [0.00]
I ended up just paying for remote coding to avoid the hassle.
      02-16-2014, 07:06 PM   #13
joepcrepairs
Banned
United_States
Rep

heres a list with most of the popular codes

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...CPqY7sEC#gid=0
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 07:15 PM   #14
dallas.daines
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Sweet. I've got everything I want off that list done, removed iDrive warning, set angel eyes as DRLs. The last thing on my list is to make it so the angel eyes are brighter. I found a thread about this, but it seems like you use different software than NCSexpert. Any info on this?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 02:30 PM   #15
catcher22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Damn you went from a rant to 'sweet' in 8 hours?!

I've had my cable for weeks now and haven't started coding because of the confusing process (and the crappy weather, no need for a brick) Seems like a little persistence and a lot of reading is all that's needed?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 03:06 PM   #16
joepcrepairs
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcher22 View Post

I've had my cable for weeks now and haven't started coding because of the confusing process (and the crappy weather, no need for a brick) Seems like a little persistence and a lot of reading is all that's needed?

I can help you code your car remotely
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 05:14 PM   #17
dallas.daines
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcher22 View Post

There's still a lot I don't understand about coding, but I got the basics pretty quick. Once you learn to code one thing, everything else is 99% the same. I figured I would just download the software and try to use it even if it was considered out of date. I don't know that I have the latest versions of everything, but it all worked without a problem. I followed the DIY posted in the "Coding Success" thread. It's a .pdf file. I just followed it step by step. There's also a video you can watch on that same thread of someone going step by step to code something. Again, I don't know that it is the latest and most current "how to" but it worked for me.

It will be a lot easier for you if you have a 32 bit operating system. I have a MacBook Air so I downloaded a free version of Parallels which allows me to run a virtual machine with whatever Windows OS I like. I went with Windows 7 32 bit and it didn't cause any problems. I know a lot of people recommend Windows XP, but Windows 7 worked great for me.

Once you get your cable drivers set up (explained how to do so in the DIY) you run INPALOAD to basically check to make sure your laptop can communicate with your car via the cable. If not, you have to go back and change things around until your cable is set up right. After that, you can run NCSexpert which is the program you use to code the car. The DIY explains how to get it all set up at first. This takes a minute, but once it's done you won't have to do it again. You use NCSexpert to pull a file from whatever module you select. There are several modules that contain various settings. Find the module that contains the setting you would like to change and select this one. Once you have pulled the file from a module, you can open it as a text file and make the necessary changes. Once those changes have been made, you use NCSexpert to send that updated file to your car. That's it.

None of this is meant to be used as a tutorial because it is in no way precise or detailed enough. I just figured I'd type up the process so you can better understand exactly what coding is. The hardest part for me was to understand what it is that I was actually doing. Once you understand it a little better, it makes the process easier to follow. Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 09:53 PM   #18
blk08e92
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW e92 Coupe

Alright here's where im at. I have a macbook air running bootcamp with windows 7 ultimate 64bit. I am able to get INPALOAD to see the car is on but the airbag test will not work. Regardless, ive read multiple people dont get the airbag test to work and were able to code without issue. SO i went ahead to the next step of trying to open NCSexpert and it will not open. It states it will not run on my version of windows. I tried running it in compatibility mode with just about every version of windows listed. I was like well crap maybe it has to be XP. SO i went ahead and installed XP virtual machine on my bootcamped windows 7. XP sees the cable and i can attach it, but i can not get the XP virtual machine to see the ignition or battery in INPALOAD. Whats funny is my NCSexpert will actually OPEN on the XP virtual machine, but again it will not see the car. I think im just too many virtual machines deep for it to see the hardware? ID like to get this to work with the bootcamped windows 7 install, but NCSexpert says its incompatible with my version of windows. Does the win7 install have to be 32bit? Any suggestions? Is there a special version for doing this on windows7? I downloaded the 90~mb files listed on the very first page here. Ive read about ~20 pages of the 220 page guide here but i dont have a month to read all of it and try to figure out why i cant get this damn NCSexpert to open at all on my windows 7 install?? Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 10:45 PM   #19
dallas.daines
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk08e92 View Post
Alright here's where im at. I have a macbook air running bootcamp with windows 7 ultimate 64bit. I am able to get INPALOAD to see the car is on but the airbag test will not work. Regardless, ive read multiple people dont get the airbag test to work and were able to code without issue. SO i went ahead to the next step of trying to open NCSexpert and it will not open. It states it will not run on my version of windows. I tried running it in compatibility mode with just about every version of windows listed. I was like well crap maybe it has to be XP. SO i went ahead and installed XP virtual machine on my bootcamped windows 7. XP sees the cable and i can attach it, but i can not get the XP virtual machine to see the ignition or battery in INPALOAD. Whats funny is my NCSexpert will actually OPEN on the XP virtual machine, but again it will not see the car. I think im just too many virtual machines deep for it to see the hardware? ID like to get this to work with the bootcamped windows 7 install, but NCSexpert says its incompatible with my version of windows. Does the win7 install have to be 32bit? Any suggestions? Is there a special version for doing this on windows7? I downloaded the 90~mb files listed on the very first page here. Ive read about ~20 pages of the 220 page guide here but i dont have a month to read all of it and try to figure out why i cant get this damn NCSexpert to open at all on my windows 7 install?? Any ideas?
My understanding is that you have to be on a 32 bit OS so that's the first thing I would change if I were you. I have never used Bootcamp because my MacBook Air doesn't have sufficient space to partition my SSD. I use Parallels which I hadn't used prior to trying to code my car. You can download a free trial version of Parallels that is good for two weeks or something. It is really easy to use, and you can run it simultaneously with Mac OSX which I really like. There are ways to find versions of Windows that are 32 bit, but I'll leave the specifics of how you get it up to you.

So if I were you, I would download Parallels and get a 32 bit version of Windows 7 and follow the instructions step-by-step on the Coding Success thread. I'm sure there are other ways to achieve the same result, but I haven't done it any other way.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 03:38 PM   #20
joepcrepairs
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My understanding is that you have to be on a 32 bit OS so that's the first thing I would change if I were you. I have never used Bootcamp because my MacBook Air doesn't have sufficient space to partition my SSD. I use Parallels which I hadn't used prior to trying to code my car. You can download a free trial version of Parallels that is good for two weeks or something. It is really easy to use, and you can run it simultaneously with Mac OSX which I really like. There are ways to find versions of Windows that are 32 bit, but I'll leave the specifics of how you get it up to you.

So if I were you, I would download Parallels and get a 32 bit version of Windows 7 and follow the instructions step-by-step on the Coding Success thread. I'm sure there are other ways to achieve the same result, but I haven't done it any other way.
just buy any windows laptop netbook with win 7 32bit or lower win vista ,xp then your good to go
Appreciate 0