E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Warning to potential Dynavin buyers > Kenwood DNX6990HD

05-02-2013, 03:38 PM   #111
Italiano514
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 323i (E90)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavis03 View Post
I have the 2011 model and there is only an outlet in the armrest which turns off after a while without the key in... I don't have an ashtray or that whole setup though I could benefit from an ashtray.
I would imagine that even though you don't have the smokers package, the red 12v wire should still be in place where the ashtray would have been located. This would facilitate an ashtray retrofit if you decide to put one in at a later time. If not present, then you would have to locate a solid red wire from another component to tap into. Caution; red with a stripe will power down when the car's system enters sleep mode.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 06:53 AM   #112
ddavis03
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

I'll give it a shot today.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 07:13 AM   #113
Dr.M.Kassab
Enlisted Member
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 330i Sedan

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
hey guys.. has any1 tried to mount the screen of this kenwood HU in the double scooped dash? and then hide the main unit behind the dash.. and connect them with a custom wire( sinc eth screen is connect to the HU with a pin bracket.. that would be perfect solution for people with idrive..
      05-13-2013, 10:10 AM   #114
ddavis03
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

I found the answer to my constant power issue here in the forum...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125203.

Thanks for all the help. Has worked flawlessly since for over a week... no initial setup prompts.

The correct fuse is in the pic w/ the yellow rectangle and arrow.

I also have the kit w/ the radio above the A/C controls. Looks best this way imho. But at a minimum works best for me. I think the kit was only $15. Way cheaper than some other posts I read.

Final Setup:
Kenwood dnx6990hd (head unit)
Alpine MRX-M100 (mono amp)
Alpine MRP-F300 (4 ch amp)
Infinity Kappa 10.11t (tweets)
Alpine SPS-410 (4" door speakers)
Alpine SWR 12d4 (sub)
Attached Images

Last edited by ddavis03; 05-13-2013 at 06:31 PM.. Reason: image way too large
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 12:41 PM   #115
BronzeWarrior
Rep
Drives: 328I Montego Blue

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Do Not Buy A Dynavin!

I COMPLETELY AGREE with spmd11, I did see this post prior to buying my Dynavin head unit, but bought it anyways for the looks. I must admit it looked very nice and clean in my E92, but that's about the only good thing I can say about this product. I didn't think it would be such a piece of garbage...

To be clear, I did buy the new Android model thinking it would be a major improvement and also that fact that I have an android phone and prefer android products. What they don't mention is that the unit now runs on 2 different operating systems, theirs and android. (I'll get to that later)

The product itself was an easy install for any "do it yourself-er" I have heated seats and it came with the "re-locator" which was a silver flimsy piece of plastic but didn't go with anything with my car (I don't know why they couldn't have made it black like everything else) Once I turned it on, the screen didn't look bad at all, although once in, it looks smaller than I expected. I'm a short guy, only 5'5 so my view sitting down from the screen wasn't the best of angles and the display options didn't help much seemed a lil dim or just too much glare. Going through the options was horrible, it could never precisely read where your finger was, and the stylus it came with was just as bad.

(dynavin side)
My biggest pet peeve with this product was the screens, no customization what so ever, just one generic screen for every option, but the thing that REALLY pissed me off, the IPOD screen, it's just a snap shot of some random album art that I didn't even have, the display texts reminded me of Windows NT, you can NOT choose play lists, or shuffle through anything other than PLAY ALL! and whats worse, when it is on "shuffle mode" it doesn't even display the song you're on, it displays the NEXT song, unless you take shuffle off, but then you'll be going through your entire Ipod in alphabetical order EVERY TIME you want to listen to you music, every time you get in the car. For playing CD's and DVD's the text is still crappy with some lame screen until you play a movie for the dvd, which, I suppose isn't TOO bad.

(android side)
Now I thought since the dynavin side was crap, android would take off and be so much better... WRONG! you can not use any functions through the android side other than GPS. In order to use the GPS you'll have to go through your phone (tethering) which uses up data, If you would NOT like to use up data on your phone, you can take 1 SD card out, and download offline maps to it and install it onto the unit...(DIDN'T WORK) but you can park where wi-fi is available and download maps onto your SD card while in the unit which will take a VERY LONG TIME to do, and then use the actual GPS sensor that is provided.
The Android side is just a blanked out android phone, you can try and play music on it through the SD card, but it doesn't play as good quality as the dynavin side, and the music shows as a list in a folder, you can sort of customize the home screen there, but the only reason you would be on the android side was to use the GPS... You CAN NOT run both sides at 1 time, so if you want GPS, the dynavin side "shuts off" you want music, the andoid side "shuts off"... just a pain in the ass...

Few small gripes, but when I buy a product I look for simplicity, good looks, and practicality... the Dyanvin does NOT offer any one of those (minus it being off and sitting there) It was just nerve racking getting into my car dealing with this before I even drive... I am now in the market for a new and also bigger in dash, looking at Kenwoods and maybe Pinoeers.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 01:28 PM   #116
bacardi198
Yolo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i EBII

Quote:
Originally Posted by BronzeWarrior View Post
I COMPLETELY AGREE with spmd11, I did see this post prior to buying my Dynavin head unit, but bought it anyways for the looks. I must admit it looked very nice and clean in my E92, but that's about the only good thing I can say about this product. I didn't think it would be such a piece of garbage...

To be clear, I did buy the new Android model thinking it would be a major improvement and also that fact that I have an android phone and prefer android products. What they don't mention is that the unit now runs on 2 different operating systems, theirs and android. (I'll get to that later)

The product itself was an easy install for any "do it yourself-er" I have heated seats and it came with the "re-locator" which was a silver flimsy piece of plastic but didn't go with anything with my car (I don't know why they couldn't have made it black like everything else) Once I turned it on, the screen didn't look bad at all, although once in, it looks smaller than I expected. I'm a short guy, only 5'5 so my view sitting down from the screen wasn't the best of angles and the display options didn't help much seemed a lil dim or just too much glare. Going through the options was horrible, it could never precisely read where your finger was, and the stylus it came with was just as bad.

(dynavin side)
My biggest pet peeve with this product was the screens, no customization what so ever, just one generic screen for every option, but the thing that REALLY pissed me off, the IPOD screen, it's just a snap shot of some random album art that I didn't even have, the display texts reminded me of Windows NT, you can NOT choose play lists, or shuffle through anything other than PLAY ALL! and whats worse, when it is on "shuffle mode" it doesn't even display the song you're on, it displays the NEXT song, unless you take shuffle off, but then you'll be going through your entire Ipod in alphabetical order EVERY TIME you want to listen to you music, every time you get in the car. For playing CD's and DVD's the text is still crappy with some lame screen until you play a movie for the dvd, which, I suppose isn't TOO bad.

(android side)
Now I thought since the dynavin side was crap, android would take off and be so much better... WRONG! you can not use any functions through the android side other than GPS. In order to use the GPS you'll have to go through your phone (tethering) which uses up data, If you would NOT like to use up data on your phone, you can take 1 SD card out, and download offline maps to it and install it onto the unit...(DIDN'T WORK) but you can park where wi-fi is available and download maps onto your SD card while in the unit which will take a VERY LONG TIME to do, and then use the actual GPS sensor that is provided.
The Android side is just a blanked out android phone, you can try and play music on it through the SD card, but it doesn't play as good quality as the dynavin side, and the music shows as a list in a folder, you can sort of customize the home screen there, but the only reason you would be on the android side was to use the GPS... You CAN NOT run both sides at 1 time, so if you want GPS, the dynavin side "shuts off" you want music, the andoid side "shuts off"... just a pain in the ass...

Few small gripes, but when I buy a product I look for simplicity, good looks, and practicality... the Dyanvin does NOT offer any one of those (minus it being off and sitting there) It was just nerve racking getting into my car dealing with this before I even drive... I am now in the market for a new and also bigger in dash, looking at Kenwoods and maybe Pinoeers.
Try the new Dynavin N6, it is a much-improved experience over the older android units, and sounds like it'll cover everything you wanted out of the android unit.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 01:59 PM   #117
spmd11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Dynavin is a scam. Don't buy the product and
save yourself all kinds of frustration
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 04:36 PM   #118
jeffb335
Rep
Drives: BMW

wow, still bringing up this old thread, and still bashing dynavin.....that was multiple product generations ago and the current stuff has NOTHING to do with the bad experience you had.....As you recall I tried hard to help you at the time spmd11, even though you bought from a competitor, I spent A LOT of time trying to help you make the best of your situation but ultimately you bought the wrong product for your needs....so can I please ask that you not continue to bash since since the current offerings have nothing to do with the one you had.

The current N6 is a REAL good product (read the threads, everyone is enjoying it) and continuing to bash Dynavin (and by extension me) because of your experience from years ago does not seem fair to me.....

"bronzewarrior", you bought the "new" android dynavin unit.....those have been discontinued for a couple years now.... they were new in 2010.....at the time they were innovative and interesting, now they are old, old news. WE have not sold them in a couple years. Sooooo..... Im sorry you bought something old (ebay I assume?) and thought it was new but to judge an android based product in 2014 when it was from 2010 also seems a bit unfair.

Just so both of you guys know, the N6 IS the newest unit, has nothing to do with android, and there are already dozens of pages of posts here about it and pretty much everyone is happy.....

Go ahead and bash me since I have a financial stake in this, yeah, Im the dealer, and Ive been involved in the improvements and development of these for 5 years now, and Im also a sponsor here on E90 post, and I cant let you dredge up stuff from years ago, damage our business and my ability to make a living, when its completely irrelevant to what is available now days AND you bought from my competitor in the first place.....

If either of you had asked me about this you would have gotten the whole story, my honest advice, and neither one of you would have ended up with the product you did.

Last edited by jeffb335; 08-30-2014 at 05:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 08:59 PM   #119
e90bmw328i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 330i

I totally agree with Jeff. Having played with the latest N6 in my friends car, it's leaps and bounds better than the old d99 models. I have used the pioneer 7000NEX in my e90 for a while and returned it in the end coz how bad the systems are even after being a 2014 model. The apple carPlay update for the pioneer units was supposed to come early summer and still no sign of it with fall already started. Plus the metra fascia fitments are just ridiculous.

Although there are some minor fixes that the new dynavin n6 units need, I do think that judging it based on d99 or older units is unfair. Just my 2 cents. I have no financial tie up with Jeff to defend him but it does look like they have made a good comparable product this time
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 11:42 PM   #120
spmd11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Jeff,

I don't know anything about the new and latest Dynavin product. Maybe it is the best on the market. What I do know, is the unit I purchased had nothing to do with "my needs". It was miserable and so bad, that anyone selling that product should have not been selling it. That's just my opinion. I hope that your new product is excellent.
      08-31-2014, 05:23 PM   #121
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by spmd11 View Post
Jeff,

I don't know anything about the new and latest Dynavin product. Maybe it is the best on the market. What I do know, is the unit I purchased had nothing to do with "my needs". It was miserable and so bad, that anyone selling that product should have not been selling it. That's just my opinion. I hope that your new product is excellent.
I can attest that the new Dynavin N6 IS an excellent product, & the customer service supplied by Jeff is THE best I have seen for any product.

This is from my personal experience with recent purchase/install of the Dynavin N6 in my 2009 328iX & I stand by it

I love the OEM look, the fitment is now perfect with nothing sticking out where it shouldn't, integration with the factory Canbus system is great, loads of great features (with more to be activated in the future), and they all work as they should. For someone like me that has a BMW with no BT, Nav, or Rear Camera, this was the best solution available.

I have called Jeff on the phone numerous times (sometimes with what he would prolly deem as a stupid question), he has always answered, and talked with me at length about different items, never once making me feel stupid about anything I have asked - always had a solution. Same goes with emails to him - even on the weekend when he is not working...
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit

Last edited by 1QuikWS6; 08-31-2014 at 05:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 11:01 AM   #122
BronzeWarrior
Rep
Drives: 328I Montego Blue

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Thank you bacardi198 for showing me the N6, it looks great, do you have one installed?

at jeffb335, i didn't mean to bash you indirectly in any sort of way, I had no clue i was dealing with an "old version" if the new N6 is completely redone, I would like to take a look at it, do you guys have an in depth review of it on youtube? Like I stated in my prior post, I'd like customization, a good looking Ipod interface, a good navigation without using data, and also good quality sound.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 11:47 AM   #123
Wongway
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328i xdrive

There's an official Dynavin N6 thread here as well as something like a 25page long discussion on it before it was released. Just search the forum.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 11:48 AM   #124
jeffb335
Rep
Drives: BMW

Please let this thread die, as long as it keeps getting bumped it will continue to do its damage even though its irrelevant to anything current. It doesn't help that for reasons unknown google still lists this thread first despite the hundreds of other dynavin threads out there.

Discussion of current products can be found here, let keep the discussion there:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1016187
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 10:40 AM   #125
JimyG
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW e39, BMW e36

Dynavin D7 head unit

I purchased a D7 unit for my 2002 e39 with DSP and it is a POS. I'm being nice! It is not plug and play for this model as advertised.
1. Separate antenna adapter is required. (They don't mention this up front and had to buy it on Ebay). After all that the reception was no better. I can't even get the strongest channel to stay tuned.
2. It has a corded phone microphone, not built -in, but corded like a mouse. Did not work, they sent me another and it didn't work either.
3. Sound goes off randomly after turning the car off and requires one to recheck the box for DSP on the sound menu again.
4. Backup camera stops working randomly only to find out the unit has cleared the camera menu and the backup cam box is unchecked.

Aside from the fitment issues, cost to remove the old unit, install new one, remove it again to install mic and install again, I'm done. I'm sending this unit back and requesting a full refund. It does not work well in my 2002 e39 with DSP, hope you don't have the same problem.
Appreciate 0